RE: [z_scale] challenge anyone

  • joel
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 3, 2003
      Some how that doesn"t look like a 90 Degree crossing to me...... Joel

      Svein-Martin Holt <smholt@...> wrote:HI all

      I will also build a diamond on my layout, but need to find out how to do it.
      Some of you know about any sites with info about this?

      Here you can see the spot on the layout:
      http://www.platelayer.com/mj/zanlegg/diamond_800.jpg

      And here is the report from the building of the layout. Slow progress, but
      something happen from time to time:
      http://www.platelayer.com/mj/zanlegg/

      Hilsen/Regards,
      Svein-Martin Holt

      Name: Svein-Martin Holt E-mail: smholt@...
      Country: Norway Mobil: +47 91 76 76 48
      Internet: http://www.platelayer.com

      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 3, 2003
        I have never bought anything from these guys, but they make Nn3 turnouts
        using Peko Z rail. They also say that they do custom track work. They are a very
        small outfit, but a friend of mine said that they do good work. I haven't seen
        any of it myself, but do plan on ordering a few turnouts over the next couple
        of weeks. I look forward to seeing them.

        Resinmasters   P.O. Box 293, Morton, IL  61550   309-284-0810
        <A HREF="http://www.resinmasters.com/orderform.html">http://www.resinmasters.com/orderform.html</A>

        Well, good luck with your quest.
        Dan S.

      • conrailray
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 5, 2003
          The question posted of building a 90 degree crossing rasied my
          curiosity, so I gave it a go. I made the bulk of the crossing in
          only about 1/2 hour, using Micro-Trains track by soldering the rail
          to some pc tie strips. The "bulk" means the main "t" section. I'm
          having a hoot of a time trying to get the 4 small cross rails
          soldered in place perfectly lined up with the rest of the "t". I
          think I may end up glueing them in, and running some small feeders.
          I'm also thinking about adding guard rails, which should help
          strengthen my above problem and add some realism to the track.

          When I get around to finishing this thing, I'll keep ya posted.

          -Ray

          btw, I built a version of the Gulf Summit Lines in N scale about 10
          years ago. Pretty fun little layout. I incorporated some of the
          layouts features into my newer ad hoc layout.

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, joel <omg_joel@y...> wrote:
          > Hi David. The layout I would love to build is in an Atlas "n"
          scale layout book called nine "n" scale
          > layouts and is called the Gulf Summit Lines. Surely someone out
          there in Z land knows how to make them, and hopefully has a little
          more time than I do. I'll let you know if there are takers
          Regards joel
          > David George <dlgeorgesr@y...> wrote:Joel,
          >
          > I hope someone answers your challenge. Years ago I posed this same
          request ( smaller group ) and got no takers. I too, would pay for 4
          or more--90 degree crossings so I can complete a design that's been
          percolating in my head for a long time.

          > David G. "G~B&CC RR"
          >

          > joel <omg_joel@y...> wrote:
          > Who out there in Z land wants to make 4 only 90 degree
          crossings . How much would you want for them Can.or US dollars, and
          when will they be ready.? That ought to get your mind off the
          cancellation of the show in Toronto. Regards Joel.

          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
          >
          > "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in
          Small DoseZ!

          Service.

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          >
          > "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in
          Small DoseZ!

          Service.

        • Lajos Thek
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 5, 2003
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "conrailray" <conrailray@h...> wrote:

            > The question posted of building a 90 degree crossing rasied my
            > curiosity, so I gave it a go. I made the bulk of the crossing in
            > only about 1/2 hour, using Micro-Trains track...

            Don't forget, your locomotives and cars have metal wheels, and some
            short may happen, if you don't design and build into the crossing
            some insulated transitions...
            Lajos
          • Steven Delibert
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 5, 2003
              When I tried this in HO many years ago (only way to get the
              un-ready-made oddball angle of crossing I required), the trackwork was only
              mildly crazy-making to complete, but the real challenge was wiring --
              anything less than umpty-ump feet of wheelbase on the engine required live
              frogs, and I was only able to provide that by putting the frogs on a dp-dt
              switch, which I had to remember to throw manually at every appropriate
              occasion. I guess an approach circuit could do that, and also run something
              really interesting like smashboard gates, but it would require a fair
              measure of mental heavy lifting to do it.
              Do keep us posted.
              Steve Delibert