Re: [z_scale] Battery power for Märklin

  • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2003
      The 9v battery would not last long. Somewhere I heard someone say 4
      hours....but my experience is limited with it...

      I would recomend one [or several] RC-Car batteries, the 7.2 volt kind with
      the rechargeble ni-cads, I bet one would last a whole day.

      Durability:
      - You'd have to make daily? visits to the track for cleaning.
      - You'd have to properly clean and lube the engine after about 2 weeks.
      Then at the end.
      - You'd need someone there who is not afraid of it - for derailments, etc.

      Thinking out loud,

      Was installing an exhibit at the library I work in and was asked by a
      colleague about the chances of doing a show based on our holdings of
      railroad materials AND having a real train running in the case. The width
      of the case just begs Z and I could "borrow" my wife's if I'm REALLY nice.
      Problem is that there is no space for a real transformer in the drawer
      below the display surface, and no feasible way to run a cord into the
      display area. I remember Märklin making a battery powered transformer. That

      would be ideal. Anyone know if they are still available? The more important

      question would be life expectancy of the battery at moderate speed on level

      ground? What about wear and tear on the engine? I could see them running
      about 8hrs/day for about a month.

      Thanks, p.