RE: [z_scale] challenge anyone

  • Svein-Martin Holt
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 2 2:17 PM
      Hi George

      I guess the helix was in an earlier version. The current plans include only
      one majorlevel, with 3 different "sub"-levels. But I am not finished
      building yet, so it may come. You never know, the plans are changing all the
      time. :-)

      Hilsen/Regards,
      Svein-Martin Holt

      Name: Svein-Martin Holt E-mail: smholt@...
      Country: Norway Mobil: +47 91 76 76 48
      Internet: http://www.platelayer.com

      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 2 3:51 PM
        Hi David. The layout I would love to build is in an Atlas "n" scale layout book called nine "n" scale
        layouts and is called the Gulf Summit Lines. Surely someone out there in Z land knows how to make them, and hopefully has a little more time than I do. I'll let you know if there are takers Regards joel
        David George <dlgeorgesr@...> wrote:Joel,

        I hope someone answers your challenge. Years ago I posed this same request ( smaller group ) and got no takers. I too, would pay for 4 or more--90 degree crossings so I can complete a design that's been percolating in my head for a long time.

        David G. "G~B&CC RR"

        joel <omg_joel@...> wrote:
        Who out there in Z land wants to make 4 only 90 degree crossings . How much would you want for them Can.or US dollars, and when will they be ready.? That ought to get your mind off the cancellation of the show in Toronto. Regards Joel.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Jim G.
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 2 4:16 PM
          Me, too.

          Jim G.

          _____

          One month FREE spam protection at www.cloudmark.com
          <http://www.cloudmark.com/spamnet?v1>
          <http://www.cloudmark.com/spamnet?v1> Cloudmark SpamNet - Join the
          fight against spam!

          joel <omg_joel@...> wrote:
          Who out there in Z land wants to make 4 only 90 degree crossings . How
          much would you want for them Can.or US dollars, and when will they be
          ready.? That ought to get your mind off the cancellation of the show in
          Toronto. Regards Joel.

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in Small
          DoseZ!

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1706
          533816:HM/A=1482387/R=0/SIG=16nr1gl6a/*http:/ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vaG0xLm
          Rhd=1054570742%3eM=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17065338
          16:HM/A=1482387/R=1=1054570742%3eM=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egro
          upweb/S=1706533816:HM/A=1482387/R=2>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egrou
          pmail/S=:HM/A=1482387/rand=170376941>

          "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in Small
          DoseZ!

        • Keith Webb
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 2 5:52 PM
            Take a look at the latest Model RR.er. I think there is a company that is now makeing
            Nn3 (Z scale spacing) 90 degree crossing. It is in the new items section. Do not have
            the mag with me at this time but i just receved in the mail yesterday and saw it. not
            having the 90 stopped me from creating the same n-scale layout talked about in the
            string of posts.

            KLWZscale
            www.pobox.com/~klwebb

            Keith

          • David George

              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 2 7:12 PM
                Joel,
                That's the one !
                I was going to attempt that design as my first module with some modifications. I guess I can be thankful that the lack of 90 dgree crossings stopped me. That design is NOT for beginners.
                It incorporates the Starrucca Viaduct in Pennsylvania. I am originally from near by and visited the area when I had plans to build the Summitt design.

                Maybe some one can locate and preview the N narrow guage crossing mentioned in a previous post.

                David G.

                "G~B&CC RR"

                joel <omg_joel@...> wrote:
                Who out there in Z land wants to make 4 only 90 degree crossings . How much would you want for them Can.or US dollars, and when will they be ready.? That ought to get your mind off the cancellation of the show in Toronto. Regards Joel.

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Edward Scullin
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 2 7:40 PM
                  The company is Aspen models. They are producnig Nn3 track wih either
                  code 40 or code 55 rails. The ties (Sleepers) will be over size for
                  Z but what the hay. If we can put up with a Marklin "US Pacific" we
                  can hadle anything.
                  Ed Scullin
                  --- Keith Webb <klwinternet@...> wrote:
                  > Take a look at the latest Model RR.er. I think there is a company
                  > that is now makeing
                  > Nn3 (Z scale spacing) 90 degree crossing. It is in the new items
                  > section. Do not have
                  > the mag with me at this time but i just receved in the mail
                  > yesterday and saw it. not
                  > having the 90 stopped me from creating the same n-scale layout
                  > talked about in the
                  > string of posts.
                  >
                  > KLWZscale
                  > www.pobox.com/~klwebb
                  >
                  > Keith

                  http://calendar.yahoo.com
                • Svein-Martin Holt
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 2 11:21 PM
                    Hei David

                    Of course, my mistake. I know, but I was a little fast when I used George
                    instead og David.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 3 12:17 PM
                      An idea: if you find an Nn3 crossover with code 55 rails, you might
                      be able to replace most of the ties with Z ties fairly easily. Just
                      take a piece of Micro-Trains or Märklin track and slide off short
                      segments of the tie strip, being careful not to damage the "spike
                      heads" that hold the rails. Remove the Nn3 ties and any other plastic
                      from the four ends of the crossover and then slide the Z tie-strip
                      segments onto the crossover rails. That will at least take care of
                      the four ends of the crossover. I don't know what the diamond portion
                      in the middle looks like; maybe that would look fine as it is.

                      -- Andy Hunting

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@y...> wrote:
                      > The company is Aspen models. They are producnig Nn3 track wih
                      either
                      > code 40 or code 55 rails. The ties (Sleepers) will be over size for
                      > Z but what the hay. If we can put up with a Marklin "US Pacific" we
                      > can hadle anything.
                      > Ed Scullin
                      > --- Keith Webb <klwinternet@h...> wrote:
                      > > Take a look at the latest Model RR.er. I think there is a company
                      > > that is now makeing
                      > > Nn3 (Z scale spacing) 90 degree crossing. It is in the new items
                      > > section. Do not have
                      > > the mag with me at this time but i just receved in the mail
                      > > yesterday and saw it. not
                      > > having the 90 stopped me from creating the same n-scale layout
                      > > talked about in the
                      > > string of posts.
                      > >
                      > > KLWZscale
                      > > www.pobox.com/~klwebb
                      > >
                      > > Keith

                    • joel

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 3 8:58 PM
                          I have never bought anything from these guys, but they make Nn3 turnouts
                          using Peko Z rail. They also say that they do custom track work. They are a very
                          small outfit, but a friend of mine said that they do good work. I haven't seen
                          any of it myself, but do plan on ordering a few turnouts over the next couple
                          of weeks. I look forward to seeing them.

                          Resinmasters   P.O. Box 293, Morton, IL  61550   309-284-0810
                          <A HREF="http://www.resinmasters.com/orderform.html">http://www.resinmasters.com/orderform.html</A>

                          Well, good luck with your quest.
                          Dan S.

                        • conrailray
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 5 9:03 PM
                            The question posted of building a 90 degree crossing rasied my
                            curiosity, so I gave it a go. I made the bulk of the crossing in
                            only about 1/2 hour, using Micro-Trains track by soldering the rail
                            to some pc tie strips. The "bulk" means the main "t" section. I'm
                            having a hoot of a time trying to get the 4 small cross rails
                            soldered in place perfectly lined up with the rest of the "t". I
                            think I may end up glueing them in, and running some small feeders.
                            I'm also thinking about adding guard rails, which should help
                            strengthen my above problem and add some realism to the track.

                            When I get around to finishing this thing, I'll keep ya posted.

                            -Ray

                            btw, I built a version of the Gulf Summit Lines in N scale about 10
                            years ago. Pretty fun little layout. I incorporated some of the
                            layouts features into my newer ad hoc layout.

                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, joel <omg_joel@y...> wrote:
                            > Hi David. The layout I would love to build is in an Atlas "n"
                            scale layout book called nine "n" scale
                            > layouts and is called the Gulf Summit Lines. Surely someone out
                            there in Z land knows how to make them, and hopefully has a little
                            more time than I do. I'll let you know if there are takers
                            Regards joel
                            > David George <dlgeorgesr@y...> wrote:Joel,
                            >
                            > I hope someone answers your challenge. Years ago I posed this same
                            request ( smaller group ) and got no takers. I too, would pay for 4
                            or more--90 degree crossings so I can complete a design that's been
                            percolating in my head for a long time.

                            > David G. "G~B&CC RR"
                            >

                            > joel <omg_joel@y...> wrote:
                            > Who out there in Z land wants to make 4 only 90 degree
                            crossings . How much would you want for them Can.or US dollars, and
                            when will they be ready.? That ought to get your mind off the
                            cancellation of the show in Toronto. Regards Joel.

                            > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                            >
                            > "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in
                            Small DoseZ!

                            Service.

                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                            >
                            > "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in
                            Small DoseZ!

                            Service.

                          • Lajos Thek
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 5 9:27 PM
                              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "conrailray" <conrailray@h...> wrote:

                              > The question posted of building a 90 degree crossing rasied my
                              > curiosity, so I gave it a go. I made the bulk of the crossing in
                              > only about 1/2 hour, using Micro-Trains track...

                              Don't forget, your locomotives and cars have metal wheels, and some
                              short may happen, if you don't design and build into the crossing
                              some insulated transitions...
                              Lajos
                            • Steven Delibert
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 5 9:34 PM
                                When I tried this in HO many years ago (only way to get the
                                un-ready-made oddball angle of crossing I required), the trackwork was only
                                mildly crazy-making to complete, but the real challenge was wiring --
                                anything less than umpty-ump feet of wheelbase on the engine required live
                                frogs, and I was only able to provide that by putting the frogs on a dp-dt
                                switch, which I had to remember to throw manually at every appropriate
                                occasion. I guess an approach circuit could do that, and also run something
                                really interesting like smashboard gates, but it would require a fair
                                measure of mental heavy lifting to do it.
                                Do keep us posted.
                                Steve Delibert