RE: [z_scale] challenge anyone

  • David George
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 2, 2003
      Svein-Martin,
      You will have one huge helix to move a train set from one level to another :-).

      David G.

      Svein-Martin Holt <smholt@...> wrote:
      HI all

      I will also build a diamond on my layout, but need to find out how to do it.
      Some of you know about any sites with info about this?

      Here you can see the spot on the layout:
      http://www.platelayer.com/mj/zanlegg/diamond_800.jpg

      And here is the report from the building of the layout. Slow progress, but
      something happen from time to time:
      http://www.platelayer.com/mj/zanlegg/

      Hilsen/Regards,
      Svein-Martin Holt

      Name: Svein-Martin Holt E-mail: smholt@...
      Country: Norway Mobil: +47 91 76 76 48
      Internet: http://www.platelayer.com

      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 2, 2003
        Hi George

        I guess the helix was in an earlier version. The current plans include only
        one majorlevel, with 3 different "sub"-levels. But I am not finished
        building yet, so it may come. You never know, the plans are changing all the

        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 2, 2003
          Hi David. The layout I would love to build is in an Atlas "n" scale layout book called nine "n" scale
          layouts and is called the Gulf Summit Lines. Surely someone out there in Z land knows how to make them, and hopefully has a little more time than I do. I'll let you know if there are takers Regards joel
          David George <dlgeorgesr@...> wrote:Joel,

          I hope someone answers your challenge. Years ago I posed this same request ( smaller group ) and got no takers. I too, would pay for 4 or more--90 degree crossings so I can complete a design that's been percolating in my head for a long time.

          David G. "G~B&CC RR"

          joel <omg_joel@...> wrote:
          Who out there in Z land wants to make 4 only 90 degree crossings . How much would you want for them Can.or US dollars, and when will they be ready.? That ought to get your mind off the cancellation of the show in Toronto. Regards Joel.

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Jim G.
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 2, 2003
            Me, too.

            Jim G.

            _____

            One month FREE spam protection at www.cloudmark.com
            <http://www.cloudmark.com/spamnet?v1>
            <http://www.cloudmark.com/spamnet?v1> Cloudmark SpamNet - Join the
            fight against spam!

            joel <omg_joel@...> wrote:
            Who out there in Z land wants to make 4 only 90 degree crossings . How
            much would you want for them Can.or US dollars, and when will they be
            ready.? That ought to get your mind off the cancellation of the show in
            Toronto. Regards Joel.

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in Small
            DoseZ!

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1706
            533816:HM/A=1482387/R=0/SIG=16nr1gl6a/*http:/ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vaG0xLm
            Rhd=1054570742%3eM=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17065338
            16:HM/A=1482387/R=1=1054570742%3eM=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egro
            upweb/S=1706533816:HM/A=1482387/R=2>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egrou
            pmail/S=:HM/A=1482387/rand=170376941>

            "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in Small
            DoseZ!

          • Keith Webb
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 2, 2003
              Take a look at the latest Model RR.er. I think there is a company that is now makeing
              Nn3 (Z scale spacing) 90 degree crossing. It is in the new items section. Do not have
              the mag with me at this time but i just receved in the mail yesterday and saw it. not
              having the 90 stopped me from creating the same n-scale layout talked about in the
              string of posts.

              KLWZscale
              www.pobox.com/~klwebb

              Keith

            • David George

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 2, 2003
                  Joel,
                  That's the one !
                  I was going to attempt that design as my first module with some modifications. I guess I can be thankful that the lack of 90 dgree crossings stopped me. That design is NOT for beginners.
                  It incorporates the Starrucca Viaduct in Pennsylvania. I am originally from near by and visited the area when I had plans to build the Summitt design.

                  Maybe some one can locate and preview the N narrow guage crossing mentioned in a previous post.

                  David G.

                  "G~B&CC RR"

                  joel <omg_joel@...> wrote:
                  Who out there in Z land wants to make 4 only 90 degree crossings . How much would you want for them Can.or US dollars, and when will they be ready.? That ought to get your mind off the cancellation of the show in Toronto. Regards Joel.

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Edward Scullin
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 2, 2003
                    The company is Aspen models. They are producnig Nn3 track wih either
                    code 40 or code 55 rails. The ties (Sleepers) will be over size for
                    Z but what the hay. If we can put up with a Marklin "US Pacific" we
                    can hadle anything.
                    Ed Scullin
                    --- Keith Webb <klwinternet@...> wrote:
                    > Take a look at the latest Model RR.er. I think there is a company
                    > that is now makeing
                    > Nn3 (Z scale spacing) 90 degree crossing. It is in the new items
                    > section. Do not have
                    > the mag with me at this time but i just receved in the mail
                    > yesterday and saw it. not
                    > having the 90 stopped me from creating the same n-scale layout
                    > talked about in the
                    > string of posts.
                    >
                    > KLWZscale
                    > www.pobox.com/~klwebb
                    >
                    > Keith

                    http://calendar.yahoo.com
                  • Svein-Martin Holt
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 2, 2003
                      Hei David

                      Of course, my mistake. I know, but I was a little fast when I used George
                      instead og David.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 3, 2003
                        An idea: if you find an Nn3 crossover with code 55 rails, you might
                        be able to replace most of the ties with Z ties fairly easily. Just
                        take a piece of Micro-Trains or Märklin track and slide off short
                        segments of the tie strip, being careful not to damage the "spike
                        heads" that hold the rails. Remove the Nn3 ties and any other plastic
                        from the four ends of the crossover and then slide the Z tie-strip
                        segments onto the crossover rails. That will at least take care of
                        the four ends of the crossover. I don't know what the diamond portion
                        in the middle looks like; maybe that would look fine as it is.

                        -- Andy Hunting

                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@y...> wrote:
                        > The company is Aspen models. They are producnig Nn3 track wih
                        either
                        > code 40 or code 55 rails. The ties (Sleepers) will be over size for
                        > Z but what the hay. If we can put up with a Marklin "US Pacific" we
                        > can hadle anything.
                        > Ed Scullin
                        > --- Keith Webb <klwinternet@h...> wrote:
                        > > Take a look at the latest Model RR.er. I think there is a company
                        > > that is now makeing
                        > > Nn3 (Z scale spacing) 90 degree crossing. It is in the new items
                        > > section. Do not have
                        > > the mag with me at this time but i just receved in the mail
                        > > yesterday and saw it. not
                        > > having the 90 stopped me from creating the same n-scale layout
                        > > talked about in the
                        > > string of posts.
                        > >
                        > > KLWZscale
                        > > www.pobox.com/~klwebb
                        > >
                        > > Keith

                      • joel

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 3, 2003
                            I have never bought anything from these guys, but they make Nn3 turnouts
                            using Peko Z rail. They also say that they do custom track work. They are a very
                            small outfit, but a friend of mine said that they do good work. I haven't seen
                            any of it myself, but do plan on ordering a few turnouts over the next couple
                            of weeks. I look forward to seeing them.

                            Resinmasters   P.O. Box 293, Morton, IL  61550   309-284-0810
                            <A HREF="http://www.resinmasters.com/orderform.html">http://www.resinmasters.com/orderform.html</A>

                            Well, good luck with your quest.
                            Dan S.

                          • conrailray
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 5, 2003
                              The question posted of building a 90 degree crossing rasied my
                              curiosity, so I gave it a go. I made the bulk of the crossing in
                              only about 1/2 hour, using Micro-Trains track by soldering the rail
                              to some pc tie strips. The "bulk" means the main "t" section. I'm
                              having a hoot of a time trying to get the 4 small cross rails
                              soldered in place perfectly lined up with the rest of the "t". I
                              think I may end up glueing them in, and running some small feeders.
                              I'm also thinking about adding guard rails, which should help
                              strengthen my above problem and add some realism to the track.

                              When I get around to finishing this thing, I'll keep ya posted.

                              -Ray

                              btw, I built a version of the Gulf Summit Lines in N scale about 10
                              years ago. Pretty fun little layout. I incorporated some of the
                              layouts features into my newer ad hoc layout.

                              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, joel <omg_joel@y...> wrote:
                              > Hi David. The layout I would love to build is in an Atlas "n"
                              scale layout book called nine "n" scale
                              > layouts and is called the Gulf Summit Lines. Surely someone out
                              there in Z land knows how to make them, and hopefully has a little
                              more time than I do. I'll let you know if there are takers
                              Regards joel
                              > David George <dlgeorgesr@y...> wrote:Joel,
                              >
                              > I hope someone answers your challenge. Years ago I posed this same
                              request ( smaller group ) and got no takers. I too, would pay for 4
                              or more--90 degree crossings so I can complete a design that's been
                              percolating in my head for a long time.

                              > David G. "G~B&CC RR"
                              >

                              > joel <omg_joel@y...> wrote:
                              > Who out there in Z land wants to make 4 only 90 degree
                              crossings . How much would you want for them Can.or US dollars, and
                              when will they be ready.? That ought to get your mind off the
                              cancellation of the show in Toronto. Regards Joel.

                              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                              >
                              > "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in
                              Small DoseZ!

                              Service.

                              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                              >
                              > "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in
                              Small DoseZ!

                              Service.

                            • Lajos Thek
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 5, 2003
                                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "conrailray" <conrailray@h...> wrote:

                                > The question posted of building a 90 degree crossing rasied my
                                > curiosity, so I gave it a go. I made the bulk of the crossing in
                                > only about 1/2 hour, using Micro-Trains track...

                                Don't forget, your locomotives and cars have metal wheels, and some
                                short may happen, if you don't design and build into the crossing
                                some insulated transitions...
                                Lajos
                              • Steven Delibert
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 5, 2003
                                  When I tried this in HO many years ago (only way to get the
                                  un-ready-made oddball angle of crossing I required), the trackwork was only
                                  mildly crazy-making to complete, but the real challenge was wiring --
                                  anything less than umpty-ump feet of wheelbase on the engine required live
                                  frogs, and I was only able to provide that by putting the frogs on a dp-dt
                                  switch, which I had to remember to throw manually at every appropriate
                                  occasion. I guess an approach circuit could do that, and also run something
                                  really interesting like smashboard gates, but it would require a fair
                                  measure of mental heavy lifting to do it.
                                  Do keep us posted.
                                  Steve Delibert