challenge anyone

  • joel
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 1, 2003
      Who out there in Z land wants to make 4 only 90 degree crossings . How much would you want for them Can.or US dollars, and when will they be ready.? That ought to get your mind off the cancellation of the show in Toronto. Regards Joel.

    • David George
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 2, 2003
        Joel,

        I hope someone answers your challenge. Years ago I posed this same request ( smaller group ) and got no takers. I too, would pay for 4 or more--90 degree crossings so I can complete a design that's been percolating in my head for a long time.

        David G. "G~B&CC RR"

        joel <omg_joel@...> wrote:
        Who out there in Z land wants to make 4 only 90 degree crossings . How much would you want for them Can.or US dollars, and when will they be ready.? That ought to get your mind off the cancellation of the show in Toronto. Regards Joel.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • kurtulueck@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 2, 2003
          Yeah,

          I had the idea too, especially after reading the wonderful MR layout planning
          booklet, I believe it was 2000 or 2001 with the special of crossing railroad
          lines. Really wonderful literature, I enjoyed it very much. As my Red Rock
          Railroad actually does not have a diamont I am still dreaming....

          Why not scratchbuilding a diamond? It will be a task, but that what's make Z
          - it is always a challenge.

          Has anybody good contact to Aspenmodel? Maybe they could do the job?

          Highball

          Kurt

          Visit Redrock Railroad - Last Update 6/1/2003 !
          http://hometown.aol.de/redrockrail/index.html

        • Svein-Martin Holt
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 2, 2003
            HI all

            I will also build a diamond on my layout, but need to find out how to do it.
            Some of you know about any sites with info about this?

            Here you can see the spot on the layout:
            http://www.platelayer.com/mj/zanlegg/diamond_800.jpg

            And here is the report from the building of the layout. Slow progress, but
            something happen from time to time:
            http://www.platelayer.com/mj/zanlegg/

            Hilsen/Regards,
            Svein-Martin Holt

            Name: Svein-Martin Holt E-mail: smholt@...
            Country: Norway Mobil: +47 91 76 76 48
            Internet: http://www.platelayer.com

              I had the idea too, especially after reading the wonderful MR layout
              planning
              booklet, I believe it was 2000 or 2001 with the special of crossing railroad
              lines. Really wonderful literature, I enjoyed it very much. As my Red Rock
              Railroad actually does not have a diamont I am still dreaming....

              Why not scratchbuilding a diamond? It will be a task, but that what's make Z
              - it is always a challenge.

              Has anybody good contact to Aspenmodel? Maybe they could do the job?

              Highball

              Kurt

              Visit Redrock Railroad - Last Update 6/1/2003 !
              http://hometown.aol.de/redrockrail/index.html

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Svein-Martin Holt
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 2, 2003
                Hi George

                I guess the helix was in an earlier version. The current plans include only
                one majorlevel, with 3 different "sub"-levels. But I am not finished
                building yet, so it may come. You never know, the plans are changing all the

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 2, 2003
                  Hi David. The layout I would love to build is in an Atlas "n" scale layout book called nine "n" scale
                  layouts and is called the Gulf Summit Lines. Surely someone out there in Z land knows how to make them, and hopefully has a little more time than I do. I'll let you know if there are takers Regards joel
                  David George <dlgeorgesr@...> wrote:Joel,

                  joel <omg_joel@...> wrote:
                  Who out there in Z land wants to make 4 only 90 degree crossings . How much would you want for them Can.or US dollars, and when will they be ready.? That ought to get your mind off the cancellation of the show in Toronto. Regards Joel.

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Jim G.
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 2, 2003
                    Me, too.

                    Jim G.

                    _____

                    One month FREE spam protection at www.cloudmark.com
                    <http://www.cloudmark.com/spamnet?v1>
                    <http://www.cloudmark.com/spamnet?v1> Cloudmark SpamNet - Join the
                    fight against spam!

                    joel <omg_joel@...> wrote:
                    Who out there in Z land wants to make 4 only 90 degree crossings . How
                    much would you want for them Can.or US dollars, and when will they be
                    ready.? That ought to get your mind off the cancellation of the show in
                    Toronto. Regards Joel.

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in Small
                    DoseZ!

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1706
                    533816:HM/A=1482387/R=0/SIG=16nr1gl6a/*http:/ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vaG0xLm
                    Rhd=1054570742%3eM=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17065338
                    16:HM/A=1482387/R=1=1054570742%3eM=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egro
                    upweb/S=1706533816:HM/A=1482387/R=2>

                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egrou
                    pmail/S=:HM/A=1482387/rand=170376941>

                    "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in Small
                    DoseZ!

                  • Keith Webb
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 2, 2003
                      Take a look at the latest Model RR.er. I think there is a company that is now makeing
                      Nn3 (Z scale spacing) 90 degree crossing. It is in the new items section. Do not have
                      the mag with me at this time but i just receved in the mail yesterday and saw it. not
                      having the 90 stopped me from creating the same n-scale layout talked about in the
                      string of posts.

                      KLWZscale
                      www.pobox.com/~klwebb

                      Keith

                    • David George

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 2, 2003
                          Joel,
                          That's the one !
                          I was going to attempt that design as my first module with some modifications. I guess I can be thankful that the lack of 90 dgree crossings stopped me. That design is NOT for beginners.
                          It incorporates the Starrucca Viaduct in Pennsylvania. I am originally from near by and visited the area when I had plans to build the Summitt design.

                          Maybe some one can locate and preview the N narrow guage crossing mentioned in a previous post.

                          David G.

                          "G~B&CC RR"

                          joel <omg_joel@...> wrote:
                          Who out there in Z land wants to make 4 only 90 degree crossings . How much would you want for them Can.or US dollars, and when will they be ready.? That ought to get your mind off the cancellation of the show in Toronto. Regards Joel.

                          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        • Edward Scullin
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 2, 2003
                            The company is Aspen models. They are producnig Nn3 track wih either
                            code 40 or code 55 rails. The ties (Sleepers) will be over size for
                            Z but what the hay. If we can put up with a Marklin "US Pacific" we
                            can hadle anything.
                            Ed Scullin
                            --- Keith Webb <klwinternet@...> wrote:
                            > Take a look at the latest Model RR.er. I think there is a company
                            > that is now makeing
                            > Nn3 (Z scale spacing) 90 degree crossing. It is in the new items
                            > section. Do not have
                            > the mag with me at this time but i just receved in the mail
                            > yesterday and saw it. not
                            > having the 90 stopped me from creating the same n-scale layout
                            > talked about in the
                            > string of posts.
                            >
                            > KLWZscale
                            > www.pobox.com/~klwebb
                            >
                            > Keith

                            http://calendar.yahoo.com
                          • Svein-Martin Holt
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 2, 2003
                              Hei David

                              Of course, my mistake. I know, but I was a little fast when I used George
                              instead og David.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 3, 2003
                                An idea: if you find an Nn3 crossover with code 55 rails, you might
                                be able to replace most of the ties with Z ties fairly easily. Just
                                take a piece of Micro-Trains or Märklin track and slide off short
                                segments of the tie strip, being careful not to damage the "spike
                                heads" that hold the rails. Remove the Nn3 ties and any other plastic
                                from the four ends of the crossover and then slide the Z tie-strip
                                segments onto the crossover rails. That will at least take care of
                                the four ends of the crossover. I don't know what the diamond portion
                                in the middle looks like; maybe that would look fine as it is.

                                -- Andy Hunting

                                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@y...> wrote:
                                > The company is Aspen models. They are producnig Nn3 track wih
                                either
                                > code 40 or code 55 rails. The ties (Sleepers) will be over size for
                                > Z but what the hay. If we can put up with a Marklin "US Pacific" we
                                > can hadle anything.
                                > Ed Scullin
                                > --- Keith Webb <klwinternet@h...> wrote:
                                > > Take a look at the latest Model RR.er. I think there is a company
                                > > that is now makeing
                                > > Nn3 (Z scale spacing) 90 degree crossing. It is in the new items
                                > > section. Do not have
                                > > the mag with me at this time but i just receved in the mail
                                > > yesterday and saw it. not
                                > > having the 90 stopped me from creating the same n-scale layout
                                > > talked about in the
                                > > string of posts.
                                > >
                                > > KLWZscale
                                > > www.pobox.com/~klwebb
                                > >
                                > > Keith

                              • joel

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 3, 2003
                                    I have never bought anything from these guys, but they make Nn3 turnouts
                                    using Peko Z rail. They also say that they do custom track work. They are a very
                                    small outfit, but a friend of mine said that they do good work. I haven't seen
                                    any of it myself, but do plan on ordering a few turnouts over the next couple
                                    of weeks. I look forward to seeing them.

                                    Resinmasters   P.O. Box 293, Morton, IL  61550   309-284-0810
                                    <A HREF="http://www.resinmasters.com/orderform.html">http://www.resinmasters.com/orderform.html</A>

                                    Well, good luck with your quest.
                                    Dan S.

                                  • conrailray
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 5, 2003
                                      The question posted of building a 90 degree crossing rasied my
                                      curiosity, so I gave it a go. I made the bulk of the crossing in
                                      only about 1/2 hour, using Micro-Trains track by soldering the rail
                                      to some pc tie strips. The "bulk" means the main "t" section. I'm
                                      having a hoot of a time trying to get the 4 small cross rails
                                      soldered in place perfectly lined up with the rest of the "t". I
                                      think I may end up glueing them in, and running some small feeders.
                                      I'm also thinking about adding guard rails, which should help
                                      strengthen my above problem and add some realism to the track.

                                      When I get around to finishing this thing, I'll keep ya posted.

                                      -Ray

                                      btw, I built a version of the Gulf Summit Lines in N scale about 10
                                      years ago. Pretty fun little layout. I incorporated some of the
                                      layouts features into my newer ad hoc layout.

                                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, joel <omg_joel@y...> wrote:
                                      > Hi David. The layout I would love to build is in an Atlas "n"
                                      scale layout book called nine "n" scale
                                      > layouts and is called the Gulf Summit Lines. Surely someone out
                                      there in Z land knows how to make them, and hopefully has a little
                                      more time than I do. I'll let you know if there are takers
                                      Regards joel
                                      > David George <dlgeorgesr@y...> wrote:Joel,
                                      >
                                      > I hope someone answers your challenge. Years ago I posed this same
                                      request ( smaller group ) and got no takers. I too, would pay for 4
                                      or more--90 degree crossings so I can complete a design that's been
                                      percolating in my head for a long time.

                                      > David G. "G~B&CC RR"
                                      >

                                      > joel <omg_joel@y...> wrote:
                                      > Who out there in Z land wants to make 4 only 90 degree
                                      crossings . How much would you want for them Can.or US dollars, and
                                      when will they be ready.? That ought to get your mind off the
                                      cancellation of the show in Toronto. Regards Joel.

                                      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                                      >
                                      > "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in
                                      Small DoseZ!

                                      Service.

                                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                      >
                                      > "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in
                                      Small DoseZ!

                                      Service.

                                    • Lajos Thek
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jun 5, 2003
                                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "conrailray" <conrailray@h...> wrote:

                                        > The question posted of building a 90 degree crossing rasied my
                                        > curiosity, so I gave it a go. I made the bulk of the crossing in
                                        > only about 1/2 hour, using Micro-Trains track...

                                        Don't forget, your locomotives and cars have metal wheels, and some
                                        short may happen, if you don't design and build into the crossing
                                        some insulated transitions...
                                        Lajos
                                      • Steven Delibert
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jun 5, 2003
                                          When I tried this in HO many years ago (only way to get the
                                          un-ready-made oddball angle of crossing I required), the trackwork was only
                                          mildly crazy-making to complete, but the real challenge was wiring --
                                          anything less than umpty-ump feet of wheelbase on the engine required live
                                          frogs, and I was only able to provide that by putting the frogs on a dp-dt
                                          switch, which I had to remember to throw manually at every appropriate
                                          occasion. I guess an approach circuit could do that, and also run something
                                          really interesting like smashboard gates, but it would require a fair
                                          measure of mental heavy lifting to do it.
                                          Do keep us posted.
                                          Steve Delibert