Re: [z_scale] Back in the game and confused [as usual]

  • Nelson Snedeker
    Message 1 of 9 , May 29 8:32 PM
      I hate to do this Roy but , to help all the other guys talking about
      this problem , Micro Mark sells a DC Volt meter for $19.95 which reads 0
      to 20 with the 0 in the center for reading forward and reverse. I have
      4 of them in circuit with my Dual Tech 2 and Dual Tech 4 for a lot less
      than a century note . I personally get along quite nicely with only one
      5-0-5 ammmeter which may be switched into any one of the 4 circuits I
      may feel a need to monitor

      Happy "Z"ing Nel

    • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
      Message 2 of 9 , May 30 9:16 AM
        <snip>
        I broke down and bought a Tech 4 pack with built
        in voltage and amperage meters. It cost nearly a hundred bucks, but I kick

        myself for not buying one sooner, it's an invaluable tool to measure loco
        performance and catch binding mechanisms before they become smoke
        generators.

        Do you find the meters granular enough? It seems like the throw for
        Voltage, and especially for Amperage, is way to short...what I mean is: You
        can't tell the difference between 2 and 3 volts....and certainly not the
        difference between .03 and .09 amps...Right?

        Or have you not found that to be a problem? I know I even complained
        about the Amperage meters on my HO MRC pak....NOt a Tech 4, but the Top of
        the line one with Meters at the time...Like a 9500 or something....

        Anyway, can you REALLY see a difference in Amperage between locomotives?

      • Roy Stevens
        Message 3 of 9 , May 31 7:28 AM
          Ok, when you're talking hundreths of amps, the answer is NO. My response
          is, I don't need to. The meters are analog, which I prefer to digital to
          visually see dynamic fluctuations, which are a good indication of certain
          problems, and the difference in hundreths of amps between locos is
          irrelevant as far as I'm concerned, but when an 8800 mechanism starts
          pulling nearly an amp unloaded, it's time to start looking for problems.
          I agree with one response that if you have a layout with DC block control,
          it's much better to build meters into the panel, but my layout is DCC and I
          use the power pack on any of the three workbenches or with one of the two
          display layouts.

          Roy

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 2, 2003
            >Ok, when you're talking hundreths of amps, the answer is NO. My response
            >is, I don't need to.

            Agreed. I actually didn't want to say hundredths of amps....

            In my experience, the difference in amperage required to run my different
            locos is undetectable....[with the Analog meter] maybe this is a good sign.

            When I get my new GS-3, maybe I will see more.