Scenery, CAD and Locomotives

  • pfonseca@xxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 12 3:29 AM
      Hello. I am just getting started in Z Gauge and have enjoyed reading this newsgroup. I have a few questions.

      1. Does anyone know where I can select from the entire product line of Noch. I was planning on getting started with a preformed layout and building on that with scenery, structures, wiring, etc. However, the distributors in the US only carry a few select layouts. All state that there is a problem with shipping making the cost to high to be profitable. Are there any other sources worldwide which could ship to the US? I have tried to email Noch to no avail.

      2. Has anyone tried the Woodland Scenics subterrain system. If a preformed layout is not possible, would this be a good alternative?

      3. Any ideas on a reliable first locomotive? Marklin or Micro Trains?

      4. Finally, how about CAD software. Are there any programs especially good for Z Gauge.

      Any help is greatly appreciated.
    • BJKRONEN@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 12 8:27 PM
        Hello to [[pfonseca@...]] (no name given):

        > Hello. I am just getting started in Z Gauge

        Welcome to the hobby. I'll answer the questions I know something about, and
        leave the rest for others who know more.

        > 2. Has anyone tried the Woodland Scenics subterrain system. If a
        > preformed layout is not possible, would this be a good alternative?

        Believe in this stuff. Its an outstanding system. I wish it was around for
        the first modules we built. It would have saved a lot of time. For those
        without a lot of wood working tools, its a must.

        > 3. Any ideas on a reliable first locomotive? Marklin or Micro Trains?

        Gee. What's a good looking man look like to you? or woman? No matter, I
        don't have clue what appeals to you in trains either, or even if you like
        steam or diesel, US or Euro prototypes. Or even what country you may be
        emailing from.

        But I'll take a shot and risk the flames of everyone on the list:

        If you are a USA prototype person, try a Micro Trains F7. Cheap. Reliable.
        Good puller. Good paint. Excellent attention to scale. Discount sources
        are out there.

        If you are a European modeler, look at the recent list-member comments on
        Ander's website:

        http://www.lattermann.com/amaZing/good_n_bad/good_bad.htm

        Chime in folks. I only answered 2 of the 4 questions. Improvements to my
        answers are welcomed.

        Bill Kronenberger
        Houston