Re: 1:440?

  • Jacob Munkhammar
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 11, 1999
      I have re-discovered my source for the HZ-scale (1:440) rumour. It has now
      been extended, and you may find it at
      <http://home.att.net/~Berliner-Ultrasonics/z-scale2.html>.
      I take the liberty of quoting some of what Editor S. Berliner, III has to
      say about it:

      -----
      HALF-Z 1:440 TINY TRAINS

      Tom Dillon and his wife Laura, somewhere out in Colorado [...], build Tiny
      Trains at the inconceivable scale of 1:440! The only reference I can find
      is in the pricy catalog of "Steve & Slim", Lilliput Motor Company, P. O.
      Box 447, Yerington, Nevada 89447 (1-800-TIN-TOYS). Their Website
      [<http://www.lilliputmotorcompany.com/>] is not yet useful and their e-mail
      address, "lilliput@...", may not work [...].

      Lilliput shows a "stupendous" layout at 4/" x 24/", a typical "attach�
      case"-type of layout at only 4/" x 7/", and an almost-all-but-invisible
      circle, complete with mountain, tunnel, and waterfall, at a miniscule 4/"
      square!!!

      [...] I do not really know if the Dillons build the trains themselves, or
      only the layouts.
      ---

      Anyone has this catalogue (or live less than a trans-Atlantic call away
      from Nevada)?

      /Jacob (who'd LOVE to see functional 3.25mm gauge chassis)
    • sutfin
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 11, 1999
        Jacob,

        The Tiny Trains that Sam is referring to are not functional, operating
        models on rails. They are fairly realistic looking wooden models pulled
        around a slot in the layout by a 'wire'. They are very neat looking
        layouts, more of a novelty than an actual modeling/operating layout. I
        think one would look good incorporated in an 'N' scale layout as a Live
        Steam layout, etc.

        Not really inexpensive. If you, or anyone has a chance to visit a GATS
        show, they have had a small 4"x4" model on display at their information
        table for the last couple of years.

        Hope this helps!

        Terry Sutfin
      • pleahy@xxxxxxxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 14, 1999
          I saw a simple oval setup (Don't remember the scale, but much smaller than
          Zscale) at a show in Springfield Ma. back in jan. Its' mtion was achieved
          by magnets. One on the bottom of the train and one under the base of the
          whole setup that was moved along the path of the track by a turntable type
          mechanism. It was a cute novelty at most. and way overpriced.

          Pete Leahy