Making a dummy from dead loc?

  • pavementdoc
    Message 1 of 5 , May 7 10:22 AM
      Hello all. I have come across an older Marklin engine (3-pole, Swiss
      class 460, perfect body, dead motor, gunked gears). Rather than
      cleaning and re-motoring, I am contemplating removing motor, gears,
      etc. to make a dummy loc to mu w/ newer 5-pole 460s. A good idea?
      Any group experience w/ this? I wonder if stripped chassis + plastic
      body will be too heavy to be pulled by a 5-pole 460.

      Ron
    • Elizabeth Hayes
      Message 2 of 5 , May 7 8:04 PM
        it sounds like it would be rather heavy...if you recall when Nelson Gray put
        out his B unit dummy locomotives they had a shell with a lightweight chassis
        which was just a floor to which you attached the trucks you might want to
        keep the shell, make a styrene floor/chassis and put on the truck frames
        with new plastic wheels off of an extra/ junk freight car ????

        >From: "pavementdoc" <rredpen@...>
        >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [z_scale] Making a dummy from dead loc?
        >Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 17:22:43 -0000
        >
        >Hello all. I have come across an older Marklin engine (3-pole, Swiss
        >class 460, perfect body, dead motor, gunked gears). Rather than
        >cleaning and re-motoring, I am contemplating removing motor, gears,
        >etc. to make a dummy loc to mu w/ newer 5-pole 460s. A good idea?
        >Any group experience w/ this? I wonder if stripped chassis + plastic
        >body will be too heavy to be pulled by a 5-pole 460.
        >
        >Ron

      • Greg Elmassian
        Message 3 of 5 , May 7 10:55 PM
          I guess you missed the earlier discussion... MT B units have a lot of
          drag, same trucks no motor, never designed to be free rolling...

          Since it's pretty impossible to get them free rolling, why not make
          them pull their own weight...

          Now I have a motorized B unit... easy, just scrape out the inside
          where the A unit is much thinner as molded... Jeffery has a writeup on this
          on his site I believe...

          Greg

          it sounds like it would be rather heavy...if you recall when Nelson Gray put

          out his B unit dummy locomotives they had a shell with a lightweight chassis

          which was just a floor to which you attached the trucks you might want to
          keep the shell, make a styrene floor/chassis and put on the truck frames
          with new plastic wheels off of an extra/ junk freight car ????

          >From: "pavementdoc" <rredpen@...>
          >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [z_scale] Making a dummy from dead loc?
          >Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 17:22:43 -0000
          >
          >Hello all. I have come across an older Marklin engine (3-pole, Swiss
          >class 460, perfect body, dead motor, gunked gears). Rather than
          >cleaning and re-motoring, I am contemplating removing motor, gears,
          >etc. to make a dummy loc to mu w/ newer 5-pole 460s. A good idea? Any
          >group experience w/ this? I wonder if stripped chassis + plastic body
          >will be too heavy to be pulled by a 5-pole 460.
          >
          >Ron

        • Andy Hunting
          Message 4 of 5 , May 8 10:23 AM
            I'd make sure that motor is really "dead" first. If the windings are
            burnt out, maybe it's time to make a dummy loco. -But- if a good
            motor's being held back by gummed-up gears or dirty brushes, a little
            work with a can of tuner cleaner (QC brand or similar) and some new
            oil may give you a powered locomotive instead of a dummy! If the 460
            chassis is similar to the Märklin F7 / TEE chassis (anybody??), only
            partial dis-assembly is required -- no loose gears, etc.

            -- Andy Hunting

          • kurtulueck@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , May 8 11:59 AM
              Ron,

              it should work. If you take for example the dummy Märklin F7B, the chassis is
              absolutely similar to the powered F7A, without any gears, motor and circuit
              board.

              But the dummy loco will drag more power than a normal car. So it is probably
              more wise to rebuild that unit and use as a two unit consist in front of a
              long freight train. More than two units coupled together is a rather rare
              sight in Europe.

              Enjoy!

              Kurt

              The Redrock Railroad - Home of the Desert Hog
              http://hometown.aol.de/redrockrail/index.html