eBay

  • frederick ladd
    Message 1 of 9 , May 7, 2003
      Hi Gang,

      While cruising eBay I noticed a Feb 2003 Release of Micro-Trains double sided box car #13720-2, AT & SF #10000 no longer available from Micro Trains.
      I wonder if this is for real--If so, Micro trains can't complain that Z does not sell and that getting more z stuff out on the the market iz bezt for all of uz.
      Or iz this another of Bill's "buyer beware". I have also noticed some of these and the "newbies" muzt be carefull.
      Again, Fred

    • Elizabeth Hayes
      Message 2 of 9 , May 7, 2003
        the reason you (and the rest of us) can`t get the new releases before
        Micro-Trains sells out of their runs of sixty pieces is because these ebay
        sellers buy up as much as they can and then resell them at minimal overhead
        of an internet auction site, instead of owning a retail store where the rest
        of us go to buy but the dealers can get the stuff from Micro-trains. In the
        past these items were available for several months but it appears that is in
        the past, you have to buy the cars the same week that the come out it
        appears.
        >From: "frederick ladd" <zeagle99@...>
        >To: "Zeee group" <Z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [z_scale] eBay
        >Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 09:49:31 -0400
        >
        >Hi Gang,
        >
        > While cruising eBay I noticed a Feb 2003 Release of Micro-Trains
        >double sided box car #13720-2, AT & SF #10000 no longer available from
        >Micro Trains.
        > I wonder if this is for real--If so, Micro trains can't complain that Z
        >does not sell and that getting more z stuff out on the the market iz bezt
        >for all of uz.
        > Or iz this another of Bill's "buyer beware". I have also noticed some
        >of these and the "newbies" muzt be carefull.
        > Again, Fred

      • Edward Scullin
        Message 3 of 9 , May 7, 2003
          There is an option. I use Modellbahn Ott as my supplier. He is very
          reliable. I gave him a standing order for Micro Trains new releases
          (40 foot cars only plus all tankers gons and flats, plus specials
          like the Xmas cars). This way he can up his standing order with
          Micro Trains and maintain his stock also. He collects the cars and
          when he has enough to make shipping reasonable, he charges my credit
          card and ships. Still with a discount.
          Excellent service.
          Ed Scullin
          (from a town in CA with no hobby shop)

          Email him and see if s=he still has this option.
          --- Elizabeth Hayes <ehayes24@...> wrote:
          > the reason you (and the rest of us) can`t get the new releases
          > before
          > Micro-Trains sells out of their runs of sixty pieces is because
          > these ebay
          > sellers buy up as much as they can and then resell them at minimal
          > overhead
          > of an internet auction site, instead of owning a retail store where
          > the rest
          > of us go to buy but the dealers can get the stuff from
          > Micro-trains. In the
          > past these items were available for several months but it appears
          > that is in
          > the past, you have to buy the cars the same week that the come out
          > it
          > appears.
          > >From: "frederick ladd" <zeagle99@...>
          > >To: "Zeee group" <Z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
          > >Subject: [z_scale] eBay
          > >Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 09:49:31 -0400
          > >
          > >Hi Gang,
          > >
          > > While cruising eBay I noticed a Feb 2003 Release of
          > Micro-Trains
          > >double sided box car #13720-2, AT & SF #10000 no longer available
          > from
          > >Micro Trains.
          > > I wonder if this is for real--If so, Micro trains can't complain
          > that Z
          > >does not sell and that getting more z stuff out on the the market
          > iz bezt
          > >for all of uz.
          > > Or iz this another of Bill's "buyer beware". I have also
          > noticed some
          > >of these and the "newbies" muzt be carefull.
          > > Again, Fred

          http://search.yahoo.com
        • DaleHalterman
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 28, 2004
            EBay is just like any live auction. Being a retired farmer I have attended many equipment and livestock auctions. There are just two ways to approach an auction. You can look at the item and determine its value and set a price in your mind and bid up to that price and be determined to stop. Or you can decide you can't
            live without it and pay the price. You should always know the value of an item before you start bidding. I have seen a lot of items both on eBay and in live auctions that sold for more than you could buy them new from a retailer. I am primarily a bargain hunter so
            I almost always place a proxy bid for the maximum I am willing to pay. If it is something I really want I will place a bid that I think is far more than I think it will sell for. I once placed a bid on an item for $100.00 and got it for twenty. This is far easier than trying to outbid someone at the last second. Dale

          • d.f.avila@att.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 28, 2004
              ...and therein is a BIG difference. You can see what you are bidding on when you attend the auction. On an Internet auction you are at the mercy of the seller's description...

            • dpstripe@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 28, 2004
                I generally don't bid unless there is a photo (unless I know the seller). I
                also don't hesitate in asking the seller questions before bidding (including
                shipping methods and rates). I have found most sellers to be more than willing
                to provide more details, answer specific questions, and even provide additional
                photographs. Even at live auctions, you generally don't get the opportunity
                to turn things on, open them up, or take them apart to check on actual
                condition. I have had a few occaisions that I have bought items at live auctions that
                were great aesthetically, and even appeared to be operational, but once I got
                them home, and really dug into them and opened things up, it was a totally
                different story. If you are not comfortable buying on-line, by all means, don't.
                But there are reputable and disreputable sellers at live auctions as well as
                eBay. And I have found the vast majority to be reputable. Just bid carefully.
                Do your homework, and ask questions.

                In a message dated 4/28/2004 10:14:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                d.f.avila@... writes:
                ...and therein is a BIG difference. You can see what you are bidding on when
                you attend the auction. On an Internet auction you are at the mercy of the
                seller's description...

              • Lajos Thek
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 30, 2004
                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "DaleHalterman" <dnhalt@c...> wrote:
                  > EBay is just like any live auction.

                  To win an auction is 95% price you willing to pay, 5% luck.
                  I never forget, in the early days, few seconds before the end of
                  auction I planned to enter $179.05 for a nice Marklin set. In the
                  big hurry I entered $17,905.00, guess what: I won the auction.
                  (Luckily I was the only nerveous party, so I had to pay only $210.00)
                  Since I've lost alot more auctions than anyone else, guaranteed...
                  Lajos
                • zbendtrack@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 30, 2004
                    Lajos:

                    > To win an auction is 95% price you willing to pay, 5% luck.

                    While I cannot speak to items no longer made, and therefore at "collector"
                    prices....I am constantly amazed at the number of folks who will bid well over
                    list price on a "used" item (with all the risks)....that is currently available
                    "new" in stores and on the web (with a guarantee).

                    Its either "auction fever" or ignorance of the wonderful retail/discount
                    sources out there.

                    Lastly, the use of the word "rare" on eBay simply reminds me that its "rare"
                    that the item doesn't show up on eBay at least once a week. <smile>

                    In total amazement,
                    Bill K.
                    Houston

                  • Tom Fisher
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 1, 2004
                      Dumb: I've bid twice the FMV of a car -- and won --
                      because I mis-read the itty-bitty road number on my
                      existing cars. I thought I was getting an old car no
                      longer in production, but when it arrived, I finally
                      saw that it had the same number as the other cars
                      already in hand for which I paid 1/2 the price. I
                      look much more carefully at road numbers now.

                      Dumber: I've also won and paid too much for an MTL car
                      with Marklin couplers where the car description said
                      MTL's Marklin couplers, but I only noticed "MTL
                      couplers". I look at photos and descriptions much
                      more carefully now.

                      Dumbest: I'm trying to avoid this title.