Re: [z_scale] Preiser Unpainted Figures

  • zbendtrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , May 3, 2003
      Makky:

      > Has anyone here purchased one of these sets (Preiser #88500) and
      > painted it themselves? Was wondering if it's difficult to paint
      > these.

      Well, I have two sets in my "round2it" box for a future project, someday.

      Having just vented my wrath about auction sites yesterday, I'll now say
      something nice about them. There is a lady named Pauline in Canada on a
      "certain" auction site that paints figures and animals in 6 to 9 colors for
      about 70 cents (usd) each, if you subtract the cost of the plastic figure.
      She does not charge for shipping (its free). Her "rating" is in the
      thousands.

      I own about 70 of her figures, and have yet to find a bad one.

      Detail includes belts, belt buckles, buttons on shirts, socks, facial
      features, hats, gloves, tools (workers) and ties. Paint quality is a 9.6 on
      a 10 scale (10x loupe level quality). My skill set with a one hair brush is
      no where near that level.

      I've encouraged her to post on this list in the vendors section, but no luck
      yet.

      A much calmer,
      Bill K.
      Houston

    • Elizabeth Hayes
      Message 2 of 8 , May 3, 2003
        just make sure you don`t remove them from the sprues until you finish the m

        >From: "canon50e" <makky@...>
        >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [z_scale] Preiser Unpainted Figures
        >Date: Sat, 03 May 2003 16:01:44 -0000
        >
        >Has anyone here purchased one of these sets (Preiser #88500) and
        >painted it themselves? Was wondering if it's difficult to paint
        >these.

      • Jim G.
        Message 3 of 8 , May 3, 2003
          Bill,

          My daughter-in-law paints my collection of Preiser figures, a few at a
          time, which I use for additions to our modules. Lucky me.

          Please let me know what Pauline's seller name is on the 'certain'
          auction site. My alias is berjimgl@....
          Jim G.
          _____

          <http://www.cloudmark.com/spamnet?v1>
          <http://www.cloudmark.com/> Cloudmark SpamNet - Join the fight against
          spam!

          > Has anyone here purchased one of these sets (Preiser #88500) and
          > painted it themselves? Was wondering if it's difficult to paint
          > these.

          Well, I have two sets in my "round2it" box for a future project,
          someday.

          Having just vented my wrath about auction sites yesterday, I'll now say
          something nice about them. There is a lady named Pauline in Canada on a

          "certain" auction site that paints figures and animals in 6 to 9 colors
          for
          about 70 cents (usd) each, if you subtract the cost of the plastic
          figure.
          She does not charge for shipping (its free). Her "rating" is in the
          thousands.

          I own about 70 of her figures, and have yet to find a bad one.

          Detail includes belts, belt buckles, buttons on shirts, socks, facial
          features, hats, gloves, tools (workers) and ties. Paint quality is a
          9.6 on
          a 10 scale (10x loupe level quality). My skill set with a one hair
          brush is
          no where near that level.

          I've encouraged her to post on this list in the vendors section, but no
          luck
          yet.

          A much calmer,
          Bill K.
          Houston

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=229633.3212141.4526654.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1706
          533816:HM/A=1556779/R=0/*http:/shop.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?ftd2+s
          hopping:dmad/M=229633.3212141.4526654.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1706533816:H
          M/A=1556779/R=1/1051985388+http://us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http://www.ftd.co
          m/rmi-framed-url/http://www.ftd.com/yahoo36>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=229633.3212141.4526654.1261774/D=egrou
          pmail/S=:HM/A=1556779/rand=539161516>

          "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in Small
          DoseZ!

        • Wild Zontar
          Message 4 of 8 , May 3, 2003
            At 14:09 05/03/2003 EDT, you wrote:
            >Makky:
            >
            >> Has anyone here purchased one of these sets (Preiser #88500) and
            >> painted it themselves? Was wondering if it's difficult to paint
            >> these.
            >
            >Well, I have two sets in my "round2it" box for a future project, someday.
            >
            >Having just vented my wrath about auction sites yesterday, I'll now say
            >something nice about them. There is a lady named Pauline in Canada on a
            >"certain" auction site that paints figures and animals in 6 to 9 colors for
            >about 70 cents (usd) each, if you subtract the cost of the plastic figure.
            >She does not charge for shipping (its free). Her "rating" is in the
            >thousands.
            >
            >I own about 70 of her figures, and have yet to find a bad one.
            >
            >Detail includes belts, belt buckles, buttons on shirts, socks, facial
            >features, hats, gloves, tools (workers) and ties. Paint quality is a 9.6 on
            >a 10 scale (10x loupe level quality). My skill set with a one hair brush is
            >no where near that level.
            >
            >I've encouraged her to post on this list in the vendors section, but no luck
            >yet.
            >
            >A much calmer,
            >Bill K.
            >Houston

            I have to concur with Bill on the quality of Pauline's work. I was amazed
            at the detail, and all I got was a set of cows - no belt buckles, socks,
            and hats to be impressed by.

            My question to you, Bill, is why are you so hesitant to mention the
            "certain auction site," or any specifics about the seller? I could
            understand your reticence if you had a bad experience and feared possible
            retaliation in response to any negative comments you posted, but that's not
            the case here.

            I think we should promote people that we've had good experiences with on
            auction sites, especially if they are providing a unique service or
            product. We need all of the good Z vendors we can get, and they deserve to
            be encouraged (which means more sales need to be directed their way).

            And for the record:
            Pauline sells on eBay, her user ID is the-case-depot, and she does great work.

            Greg
          • Wild Zontar
            Message 5 of 8 , May 3, 2003
              Hi Jim,

              Pauline's eBay user ID is the-case-depot.

              Greg

            • zbendtrack@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , May 3, 2003
                Greg:

                > My question to you, Bill, is why are you so hesitant to mention the
                > "certain auction site," or any specifics about the seller?

                List rules normally prohibit references to auctions. I respected that (well,
                sort of) in the case at hand. The point of my response was to address the
                option of going blind trying to poorly paint figures oneself versus just
                buying them already professionally painted (with a cost reference).

                And yes, you are correct in Pauline's eBay identify.

                What I've tried to do, is to get quality sellers (eBay, Mom-and-Pop, Flea
                Markets, etc.) to join this list, post their product announcements, and list
                in the vendors section. Randy of Arrowhead Scale Models just did that, and
                he also has quality products in Z. I have most of his products, and they are
                excellent. My money is already set aside for when he produces the gasoline
                station shown on his website in N scale.

                It's important that we have lots of new products in Z as we grow in numbers.

                It could very well be in some cases (perhaps even Pauline's case) that what
                is an enjoyable part time money-making activity for them could turn into a
                time consuming monster with endless backorders to fill -- if they came out as
                a "manufacturer" full time with a website and ordering information.

                By using an auction as a marketing tool, a person can work at their leisure
                and when products are ready for market, post them on eBay. If they want a
                week or two off then they just don't post.

                Sorry for the mystery-message post.
                Bill K.
                Houston