Re: [z_scale] Re: Breaking in DC Motors / Brushes

  • John Duino
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2003
      > Item 2 sounds like something to avoid at all costs as Z scale motors
      > are completely exposed whereas RC motors are sealed so they can be
      > used in boats as well as other vehicles. I suspect you'd at least
      > blow a fuse or circuit breaker if you were fortunate enough not to
      > destroy the motor and/or possibly your transformer.

      As a long-time RC'er and long-time electric flyer (I just test flew a new
      electric airplane at lunch today!) I can assure you that doing this will NOT fry
      the motor/controller/transformer. It just helps keep things cool and reduces
      arc'ing while rubbing in the brushes. This is always done undervoltage, and it
      should be DISTILLED water (which we all know is nonconductive, right? =)

      In general I prefer a no-load, undervoltage run-in. Most of the brushes are
      fairly soft so doing it for HOURS seems excessive to me, but maybe the train
      motor's are harder. What is important is that AFTER the break-in you CLEAN the
      motor/brush/commutator/etc...maybe in the middle of breaking it in, also, to
      help remove the little cruds (technical term) that show up.

      --
      *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
      | John Duino |
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2003
        Just a note: Distilled water is electrically non conductive...

        Deionized water is not...

        running it in distilled would probably be ok, make sure the bearings
        are lubed and dry the motor out well... (leave it sitting in the sunlight
        for a while)

        I like the idea of a fluid washing out the bits of brush...

        Greg

        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2003
          OOOPS!!!

          I'm sorry..I must have missed the "Distilled" part of the water.
          Thanks to everyone for correcting my oversight.

          Thom Welsch