Micro-Trains responds: re: Micro-Trains and the future of Z

  • Jeffrey MacHan
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
      Hi Gang,

      I am pleased to share with you the reply that I
      received from Eric Smith, president of Micro-Trains
      Line, in response to our recent letter writing
      campaign in favour of increased "Z" production from
      MTL.

      Eric has been a solid supporter of the Val Ease
      Central RR for several years now and continues to
      sponsor our international activities. I am encouraged
      by his committment to future Z production. Hopefully
      we'll see something new sooner rather than later!

      Cheers,
      Jeffrey MacHan
      "Z" rabble rouser

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
        Hi Jeffrey

        I recently acquired a Marklin turntable from Eurorail
        in BC Canada, I had to make a trip to San Antonio TX
        from Mexico City in order to pick it and more Z an N
        stuff up last weekend (I went to attend a conference
        too), I was happy until yesterday night when testing
        it for the first time, I observed that it did not spin
        correctly, it made a sound like jamming and slowing
        down every time I tried to spin from one track to
        other. After few more attempts it stop working and it
        started to smoke a litte, the only sound that I could
        hear every time I pushed the sliding switch was the
        solenoid that activates the piece of plastic that
        aligns and locks and unlocks the bridge, but no spin.
        I decided to disconnect it from the power source.

        The curious thing is that it does not smell like
        burnt.

        I verified the wiring and it was correct.

        I was extremely dissapointed because it is not a
        bargain piece, not counting the trip, and I am
        thinking to send it back to Eurorail in order to use
        the Marklin warranty but it will cost some more bucks.
        Do you think I can check additional points or do
        something else before send it back to Canada and start
        crying?

        I will appreciate your and everybody�s help

        JC

        =====

        Best Regards

        Juan Carlos L.
        http://www.geocities.com/jcarloslm/JC_Main.html

        http://tax.yahoo.com
      • John
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
          how about MT doing something else other than F7's? I would love to
          see them do a GP7 or GP30. How hard can it be.
        • zbendtrack@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
            santafefan:

            > how about MT doing something else other than F7's? I would love to
            > see them do a GP7 or GP30. How hard can it be.

            As previously discussed on the list, only as hard as a manufacturer's
            investment between $250,000usd and $500,000usd in an economy that is already
            "soft" and in a scale, that at best, is "high risk" for sales.

            Still, I keep a picture of a SW9 pinned over my shaving mirror, and wake up
            to an optimistic world each and every day. One can only hope. And wait.

            Bill K.
            Houston

          • Ralph.Scott
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 5, 2003
              Hi Juan
              Sorry you had a problem with the turntable/ I had one and it worked just
              fine I traded it for a transfer pan when I went all electric, I'm sure
              Walter at EuroRail Hobbies will see you right on this. Check with him before
              you do anything! Eurorail is an acredited Marklin dealer and provides
              excellent service straight from the factory and should replace it for you.
              if it is faulty. Sounds like it could be a miss aligned motor brush or lack
              of lubrication at the armature bearings or miss- aligned gears.
              Regards Ralph in NZ

            • ztrack@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 5, 2003
                JC,

                Märklin has re-released the turntable this year. These update table are not
                yet available. Likely the one you have is the older model. The problem may be
                old oil that has accumulated and congealed. I would try removing the
                turntable bridge to get to the motor. Examine the motor and clean out any old
                oil. At that point, try re-oiling. If that fails, contact Walter for repair.

                Rob Kluz

                Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
                6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                Dublin, OH 43016
                Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
                www.ztrack.com

              • Juan Carlos Lopez
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 5, 2003
                  Rob

                  I would love to do this, but do this procedure voids
                  the warranty as Jeffrey said?.

                  If not, I will proceed immediatly because I still
                  dissapointed.

                  On the other hand I have it ready to send it back to
                  Walter. The problem is that they are moving and the
                  will re-open until next monday that�s why I have not
                  talked to them.

                  By the way, your European layout is simply Excelent. I
                  love those last pictures.

                  I think you should continue updating us with your
                  progress and just one more thing: why don�t you tell
                  us something about your layout specs like how log is
                  your track, how many turnout did you used, etc.

                  Thanks

                  =====

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 5, 2003
                    Ralph

                    Thanks, I am waiting untill they re-open again the
                    store because they are moving and will ask about the
                    next steps to proceed.

                    Probably they could have the one that you owned (Did
                    you treated it with care? :-)), if they do not have
                    more in stock.

                    Thanks again

                    JC

                    =====

                    Best Regards

                    Juan Carlos L.
                    http://www.geocities.com/jcarloslm/JC_Main.html

                    http://tax.yahoo.com
                  • John Jabour
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 5, 2003
                      John
                      Very hard.
                      The issue is with the size of Z scale and the available motors.
                      In Z scale a hooded unit (GP??) is 8.3 mm wide. The smallest
                      commercially available motor is 8mm wide (I know pager motors are
                      smaller but don't have the power we need). This means a few things.
                      Making a hooded body, it will have very thin walls. Making the frame
                      requires very close tolerences. Now we know that Rogue and AZL
                      have made hooded units but it's not something that can be done
                      and sold for $100 like a MT F7 (remember, the F7 has a 12mm motor
                      and plenty of room). Now if there was a good 7 mm motor
                      out there, it would be easier.
                      John

                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 5, 2003
                        Actually, there are some other motor options. Although they aren't
                        that much better, price wise. I know of a 6mm brushless motor that is
                        quite a little trouper. But, being brushless, it has to be powered by
                        some control circuitry. And, as if that wasn't bad enough, it only has
                        a singled ended shaft. So, while this could be used in a hood-unit,
                        the production cost would be notably higher, if only due to the need of
                        a circuit board in the loco just to run the engine (though it would
                        make it a shoe-in for DCC). Also, for it to be really viable, one
                        would have to negotiate with the motor manufacturer to get them to
                        produce a double ended shaft, and, if I recall, they wanted a minimum
                        order of 10,000 units to do that. Do you think we could rally enough
                        support to sell 10,000 hood units in a reasonably short time? ;-)

                        Mr. W

                        On Saturday, April 5, 2003, at 02:05 PM, John Jabour wrote:

                        > John
                        > Very hard.
                        > The issue is with the size of Z scale and the available motors.
                        > In Z scale a hooded unit (GP??) is 8.3 mm wide. The smallest
                        > commercially available motor is 8mm wide (I know pager motors are
                        > smaller but don't have the power we need). This means a few things.
                        > Making a hooded body, it will have very thin walls. Making the frame
                        > requires very close tolerences. Now we know that Rogue and AZL
                        > have made hooded units but it's not something that can be done
                        > and sold for $100 like a MT F7 (remember, the F7 has a 12mm motor
                        > and plenty of room). Now if there was a good 7 mm motor
                        > out there, it would be easier.
                        > John
                      • Jay & Anne Greer
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 5, 2003
                          Hi Guys,
                          Actually there are motors available that are as small as 3mm in diameter
                          running on 6v, 10max! I have not tried any of these but non the less, they
                          are out there. If you want to investigate further, here is the address for
                          the company that manufactures them, Smoovy Drives.
                          http://www.myonic.com/en/homepage/content.htm
                          If you find out more, let us all know.
                          Best Wishes,
                          Jay Greer/TRAX INC. The Micro Modeler's Friend

                          From: Mr. W <TrainRunner@...>
                          Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 14:36:25 -0700
                          To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                          Subject: Re: [z_scale] Micro-Trains responds: re: Micro-Trains and the
                          future of Z

                          Actually, there are some other motor options. Although they aren't
                          that much better, price wise. I know of a 6mm brushless motor that is
                          quite a little trouper. But, being brushless, it has to be powered by
                          some control circuitry. And, as if that wasn't bad enough, it only has
                          a singled ended shaft. So, while this could be used in a hood-unit,
                          the production cost would be notably higher, if only due to the need of
                          a circuit board in the loco just to run the engine (though it would
                          make it a shoe-in for DCC). Also, for it to be really viable, one
                          would have to negotiate with the motor manufacturer to get them to
                          produce a double ended shaft, and, if I recall, they wanted a minimum
                          order of 10,000 units to do that. Do you think we could rally enough
                          support to sell 10,000 hood units in a reasonably short time? ;-)

                          Mr. W

                          On Saturday, April 5, 2003, at 02:05 PM, John Jabour wrote:

                          > John
                          > Very hard.
                          > The issue is with the size of Z scale and the available motors.
                          > In Z scale a hooded unit (GP??) is 8.3 mm wide. The smallest
                          > commercially available motor is 8mm wide (I know pager motors are
                          > smaller but don't have the power we need). This means a few things.
                          > Making a hooded body, it will have very thin walls. Making the frame
                          > requires very close tolerences. Now we know that Rogue and AZL
                          > have made hooded units but it's not something that can be done
                          > and sold for $100 like a MT F7 (remember, the F7 has a 12mm motor
                          > and plenty of room). Now if there was a good 7 mm motor
                          > out there, it would be easier.
                          > John

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                        • ralph.scott@xtra.co.nz
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 5, 2003
                            > I owned the turntabe about 9 years ago and traded it for the transferpan with a fellow NZ Z head .
                            However it does pay to check the lubrication of any product with motor and gears before you use it if has been idle for any length of time as oil can dry up if the product sits without use especially in hot dry conditions.
                            If you do lubricate then do it sparingly and clean the old stuff off first with a lint free cloth and an alcohol bath.(1 drop of oil out of a syringe at the places indicated by Marklin.)
                            regards Ralph

                            > From: Juan Carlos Lopez <jcarloslm@...>
                            > Date: 2003/04/06 Sun AM 08:59:51 GMT+12:00
                            > To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                            > Subject: Re: [z_scale] Marklin Turntable HELP !!!!

                          • Mr. W
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 5, 2003
                              I checked the site. Very interesting. But, the motors in question
                              are, again, brushless motors, so they need additional electronics to
                              control them. The other small motors that they have that are brush
                              motors are not rated for more than 3v, like most pager motors. Perhaps
                              I should look into how small a package a brushless motor control
                              circuit could be built in. That would open these motors up as a
                              possibility...

                              Mr. W

                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 6, 2003
                                Juan,

                                Yes, I will be posting more photos as time passes. I have a lot of project in
                                the works that I can't wait to share. Please let me know what you find out
                                about the turntable. I am curious on what the problem may be. Take care,

                                Rob

                                Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
                                6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                                Dublin, OH 43016