Re: A Used Set #8871-Ice Train And I Need Help

  • willypinhead
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2003
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, dpstripe@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 4/3/03 1:51:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      > z@... writes:
      >
      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > Your experience is certainly not typical of eBay, at least from
      my
      > > experience. I'd suggest leaving appropriate feedback for this
      seller, and
      > > possibly filing a claim with PayPal (or whatever payment service
      you used).

      > On a technical note. By all means, go with the 5-pole motor as
      > suggested. But before installing it, make sure the drive gear turns
      freely
      > and is not frozen up or bound anywhere. Just a couple of seconds of
      a DC
      > motor not turning under power can destroy the brushes, the motor,
      and even
      > the controller. No sense in trashing a new motor if the drive gear
      is bound.
      > I would have to agree, this is not typical of eBay. I have
      made over a
      > hundred Z purchases, and have none that I have been truly unhappy
      with.
      > (there have been a few disappointments due to manufacturing quality
      on new
      > items, but never the seller). Don't let this experience prevent you
      from
      > finding some real Z-scale bargains or rarieties. If you've never
      purchased
      > from a seller before, check his/her feedback. Read item
      descriptions
      > carefully. Many sellers will plainly state that they have no way to
      test
      > locomotives, so they do not know if they run. Others flat out
      state "does not
      > run", some just say that they know "nothing about trains". Don't
      bid the farm
      > away on these items, unless the seller agrees up front to let you
      return it
      > if you're not happy. But don't let them scare you off, either. I've
      gotten
      > some of my best deals on "does not run" auctions. In most cases a
      good
      > cleaning has done the trick, on a couple, it was just brushes. On
      that type
      > of auction, depending on the engine, the most I bid is $40. But
      usually $20
      > or less. So, I am never disappointed. I do a lot of kitbashing with
      > locomotives, so I base everything on what a shell and tender or
      diesel trucks
      > would cost me. Most of the z scale sellers are quite reputable,
      though. But,
      > like everything else, there's always exceptions.
      > Best wishes and best of luck.
      > Dan S.

      removed

      Hello,

      Thank you all with your advise!The seller contacted me and stated he
      will take back the set and give me a full refund.He also stated that
      he tested the train set before mailing it to me.I could only see that
      happening is when he tested it and someone else opened the set,played
      with it,burned out one of the motors and placed it back without his
      knowledge.He was very sincere of my situation and had an image to
      uphold.He gave me some web sites to see all the problems on #8871 but
      gave nothing on my "burned motor" nor had a reason why.So I'll mail
      back his 8871 and he'll give me my money back! :-)

      Ebay as always good and very bad sellers.And yes,only the very good
      ones suffer.I too have found very good Z train sets on Ebay but Iam
      very tired of playing the game.To me,there are TOO many "cut throats"
      on Z auctions and for this I will never bid again!Most of my train
      sets and my tracks came from Ebay.I will now purchase any Z stuff
      from a store or maybe from this group.I thank you all for taking the
      time to help me,hope I can do the same!!!!

      Willy