Re: [z_scale] A Used Set #8871-Ice Train And I Need Help

  • dpstripe@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2003
      z@... writes:

      > Hello,
      >
      > Your experience is certainly not typical of eBay, at least from my
      > experience. I'd suggest leaving appropriate feedback for this seller, and
      > possibly filing a claim with PayPal (or whatever payment service you used).

      On a technical note. By all means, go with the 5-pole motor as
      suggested. But before installing it, make sure the drive gear turns freely
      and is not frozen up or bound anywhere. Just a couple of seconds of a DC
      motor not turning under power can destroy the brushes, the motor, and even
      the controller. No sense in trashing a new motor if the drive gear is bound.
      I would have to agree, this is not typical of eBay. I have made over a
      hundred Z purchases, and have none that I have been truly unhappy with.
      (there have been a few disappointments due to manufacturing quality on new
      items, but never the seller). Don't let this experience prevent you from
      finding some real Z-scale bargains or rarieties. If you've never purchased
      from a seller before, check his/her feedback. Read item descriptions
      carefully. Many sellers will plainly state that they have no way to test
      locomotives, so they do not know if they run. Others flat out state "does not
      run", some just say that they know "nothing about trains". Don't bid the farm
      away on these items, unless the seller agrees up front to let you return it
      if you're not happy. But don't let them scare you off, either. I've gotten
      some of my best deals on "does not run" auctions. In most cases a good
      cleaning has done the trick, on a couple, it was just brushes. On that type
      of auction, depending on the engine, the most I bid is $40. But usually $20
      or less. So, I am never disappointed. I do a lot of kitbashing with
      locomotives, so I base everything on what a shell and tender or diesel trucks
      would cost me. Most of the z scale sellers are quite reputable, though. But,
      like everything else, there's always exceptions.
      Best wishes and best of luck.
      Dan S.

    • willypinhead
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2003
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, dpstripe@a... wrote:
        > In a message dated 4/3/03 1:51:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        > z@... writes:
        >
        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > Your experience is certainly not typical of eBay, at least from
        my
        > > experience. I'd suggest leaving appropriate feedback for this
        seller, and
        > > possibly filing a claim with PayPal (or whatever payment service
        you used).

        > On a technical note. By all means, go with the 5-pole motor as
        > suggested. But before installing it, make sure the drive gear turns
        freely
        > and is not frozen up or bound anywhere. Just a couple of seconds of
        a DC
        > motor not turning under power can destroy the brushes, the motor,
        and even
        > the controller. No sense in trashing a new motor if the drive gear
        is bound.
        > I would have to agree, this is not typical of eBay. I have
        made over a
        > hundred Z purchases, and have none that I have been truly unhappy
        with.
        > (there have been a few disappointments due to manufacturing quality
        on new
        > items, but never the seller). Don't let this experience prevent you
        from
        > finding some real Z-scale bargains or rarieties. If you've never
        purchased
        > from a seller before, check his/her feedback. Read item
        descriptions
        > carefully. Many sellers will plainly state that they have no way to
        test
        > locomotives, so they do not know if they run. Others flat out
        state "does not
        > run", some just say that they know "nothing about trains". Don't
        bid the farm
        > away on these items, unless the seller agrees up front to let you
        return it
        > if you're not happy. But don't let them scare you off, either. I've
        gotten
        > some of my best deals on "does not run" auctions. In most cases a
        good
        > cleaning has done the trick, on a couple, it was just brushes. On
        that type
        > of auction, depending on the engine, the most I bid is $40. But
        usually $20
        > or less. So, I am never disappointed. I do a lot of kitbashing with
        > locomotives, so I base everything on what a shell and tender or
        diesel trucks
        > would cost me. Most of the z scale sellers are quite reputable,
        though. But,
        > like everything else, there's always exceptions.
        > Best wishes and best of luck.
        > Dan S.

        removed

        Hello,

        Thank you all with your advise!The seller contacted me and stated he
        will take back the set and give me a full refund.He also stated that
        he tested the train set before mailing it to me.I could only see that
        happening is when he tested it and someone else opened the set,played
        with it,burned out one of the motors and placed it back without his
        knowledge.He was very sincere of my situation and had an image to
        uphold.He gave me some web sites to see all the problems on #8871 but
        gave nothing on my "burned motor" nor had a reason why.So I'll mail
        back his 8871 and he'll give me my money back! :-)

        Ebay as always good and very bad sellers.And yes,only the very good
        ones suffer.I too have found very good Z train sets on Ebay but Iam
        very tired of playing the game.To me,there are TOO many "cut throats"
        on Z auctions and for this I will never bid again!Most of my train
        sets and my tracks came from Ebay.I will now purchase any Z stuff
        from a store or maybe from this group.I thank you all for taking the
        time to help me,hope I can do the same!!!!

        Willy