A Used Set #8871-Ice Train And I Need Help

  • willypinhead
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2003
      Hello Everyone!!

      I just brought a used Ice train set(#8871)from Ebay and the first
      motor car is shot.I opened the lid and notice the two contacts(#8989)
      are burned together making the whole thing motionless.I scraped out
      as much as I can and now the motor moves.But the two contacts are
      useless!Where can I get new ones?Should I go to my local train shop
      and ask to repair it?I never received a warranty card and the person
      stated its my fault.I will never use Ebay again to get any of Z scale
      trains!!!Also,one of the passenger train cars as a broken contact
      arm.I will need to replace this as well.Mind you,I just got this set
      on 04/02/03 and tested on today(04/03)!I hate Ebay!!!!Nevertheless,I
      come to you on what to do.This is my first set in so much
      worthlessness-HELP!!

      Thank you very much to all!
      Willypinhead
    • D. A. Karp
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2003
        Hello,

        Your experience is certainly not typical of eBay, at least from my
        experience. I'd suggest leaving appropriate feedback for this seller, and
        possibly filing a claim with PayPal (or whatever payment service you used).

        By contacts, I'm assuming you mean the brushes, correct? New brushes are
        available from any Marklin retailer, but if they're fused to the motor,
        you'll need a new motor as well. Fortunately, you can get new motors
        relatively cheaply - I'd suggest a five-pole model:
        http://www.zscale.org/articles/fivepole.html

        In your case, you'll need part #211907 (one for each powered unit, if
        necessary) - note that this motor comes with the brushes, too!

        http://www.zscale.org/
      • dpstripe@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2003
          z@... writes:

          > Hello,
          >
          > Your experience is certainly not typical of eBay, at least from my
          > experience. I'd suggest leaving appropriate feedback for this seller, and
          > possibly filing a claim with PayPal (or whatever payment service you used).

          On a technical note. By all means, go with the 5-pole motor as
          suggested. But before installing it, make sure the drive gear turns freely
          and is not frozen up or bound anywhere. Just a couple of seconds of a DC
          motor not turning under power can destroy the brushes, the motor, and even
          the controller. No sense in trashing a new motor if the drive gear is bound.
          I would have to agree, this is not typical of eBay. I have made over a
          hundred Z purchases, and have none that I have been truly unhappy with.
          (there have been a few disappointments due to manufacturing quality on new
          items, but never the seller). Don't let this experience prevent you from
          finding some real Z-scale bargains or rarieties. If you've never purchased
          from a seller before, check his/her feedback. Read item descriptions
          carefully. Many sellers will plainly state that they have no way to test
          locomotives, so they do not know if they run. Others flat out state "does not
          run", some just say that they know "nothing about trains". Don't bid the farm
          away on these items, unless the seller agrees up front to let you return it
          if you're not happy. But don't let them scare you off, either. I've gotten
          some of my best deals on "does not run" auctions. In most cases a good
          cleaning has done the trick, on a couple, it was just brushes. On that type
          of auction, depending on the engine, the most I bid is $40. But usually $20
          or less. So, I am never disappointed. I do a lot of kitbashing with
          locomotives, so I base everything on what a shell and tender or diesel trucks
          would cost me. Most of the z scale sellers are quite reputable, though. But,
          like everything else, there's always exceptions.
          Best wishes and best of luck.
          Dan S.

        • willypinhead
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2003
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, dpstripe@a... wrote:
            > In a message dated 4/3/03 1:51:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            > z@... writes:
            >
            > > Hello,
            > >
            > > Your experience is certainly not typical of eBay, at least from
            my
            > > experience. I'd suggest leaving appropriate feedback for this
            seller, and
            > > possibly filing a claim with PayPal (or whatever payment service
            you used).

            > On a technical note. By all means, go with the 5-pole motor as
            > suggested. But before installing it, make sure the drive gear turns
            freely
            > and is not frozen up or bound anywhere. Just a couple of seconds of
            a DC
            > motor not turning under power can destroy the brushes, the motor,
            and even
            > the controller. No sense in trashing a new motor if the drive gear
            is bound.
            > I would have to agree, this is not typical of eBay. I have
            made over a
            > hundred Z purchases, and have none that I have been truly unhappy
            with.
            > (there have been a few disappointments due to manufacturing quality
            on new
            > items, but never the seller). Don't let this experience prevent you
            from
            > finding some real Z-scale bargains or rarieties. If you've never
            purchased
            > from a seller before, check his/her feedback. Read item
            descriptions
            > carefully. Many sellers will plainly state that they have no way to
            test
            > locomotives, so they do not know if they run. Others flat out
            state "does not
            > run", some just say that they know "nothing about trains". Don't
            bid the farm
            > away on these items, unless the seller agrees up front to let you
            return it
            > if you're not happy. But don't let them scare you off, either. I've
            gotten
            > some of my best deals on "does not run" auctions. In most cases a
            good
            > cleaning has done the trick, on a couple, it was just brushes. On
            that type
            > of auction, depending on the engine, the most I bid is $40. But
            usually $20
            > or less. So, I am never disappointed. I do a lot of kitbashing with
            > locomotives, so I base everything on what a shell and tender or
            diesel trucks
            > would cost me. Most of the z scale sellers are quite reputable,
            though. But,
            > like everything else, there's always exceptions.
            > Best wishes and best of luck.
            > Dan S.

            removed

            Hello,

            Thank you all with your advise!The seller contacted me and stated he
            will take back the set and give me a full refund.He also stated that
            he tested the train set before mailing it to me.I could only see that
            happening is when he tested it and someone else opened the set,played
            with it,burned out one of the motors and placed it back without his
            knowledge.He was very sincere of my situation and had an image to
            uphold.He gave me some web sites to see all the problems on #8871 but
            gave nothing on my "burned motor" nor had a reason why.So I'll mail
            back his 8871 and he'll give me my money back! :-)

            Ebay as always good and very bad sellers.And yes,only the very good
            ones suffer.I too have found very good Z train sets on Ebay but Iam
            very tired of playing the game.To me,there are TOO many "cut throats"
            on Z auctions and for this I will never bid again!Most of my train
            sets and my tracks came from Ebay.I will now purchase any Z stuff
            from a store or maybe from this group.I thank you all for taking the
            time to help me,hope I can do the same!!!!

            Willy