Re: [z_scale] Re: Any Good Tips For Reseating Gears, 4-6-2
- In the PROTOTYPE THE siderods have to be off center or the engine will get stuck. The local Shortline, Middletown and New Jersey had that problem with one of their steamers. Regards, John Engbers.
----- Original Message -----
From: John Cubbin
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 3:26 AM
Subject: [z_scale] Re: Any Good Tips For Reseating Gears, 4-6-2
I appreciate your earlier email detailing your method of reseating the
gears. As I wrote earlier, I accidentally broke one of the solder joints
on the capacitor when I removed the motor. Having soldered that back in
place, I went ahead with the gears. After all were in place correctly, I
found it very tricky to then get everything to slide into place:
1) The worm gear into the chassis and motor
2) The ends of the capacitor into both sets of holes in the motor
3) Making sure the pan on the gears didn't slip while I reassembled
I did replace the screw on the front of the oil pan, but without that
rear (pan & motor) screw in place, the pan can still move around a bit
and one of the gears can slip out of position. After it was all
assembled I placed it on the track, and the gears were binding
immediately. Rather than remove the motor again, I removed the entire
oil pan, and began reseating the gears. Since the worm gear was now in
place, I followed your idea of starting with the wheel closest to the
motor. After inserting and adjusting the three wheels, I then added the
smaller (intermediate?) gears.
I'd like to be able to say that was it, all ran smoothly, but it ran
with a decided thump! I'm believe from a excessive push / pull force due
to the side rods not being aligned just right. Since everything was
pretty much assembled at this point, I was able to again just quickly
remove the oil pan, make a minor adjustment to a gear or two, and try
that out. After a couple of attempts this way, all fell into place
nicely. The loco has been running for a couple of hours now, without
question it's running smoother than when I started this whole process. I
should also note that this is a brand new loco, all of a couple of days
old. I find that a little puzzling also, but that's a story for another
The biggest question I have is the one I mentioned earlier... why, when
the side rods on one side of the loco are absolutely straight, the rods
on the other side of the loco are off just a bit. I'm guessing that that
this is just a manufacturing tolerance. If that is so, then there is a
bit of tweaking to be done to maximize a loco's (every loco's)
It's been a fun project, and the 4-6-2 is running great....
Again thanks for your advice here!
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
"Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in Small DoseZ!
Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]