side rods offset (it was Tips for Reseating Gears)

  • Mauro Niceforo and Laura Calligarich
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2003
      Hi to all,

      I just wanted to add my little contribution to the very interesting
      and important topic of gears re-alignment:
      once the gears have been perfectly reseated, you will notice that all
      the flywheels on one side of the loco are in phase (each one exactly
      at the same angle)and so it will be for the other side BUT with a 90
      degrees offset (clockwise or counter-clockwise, it doesn't matter).
      As a consequence, also the rods on the two sides are out of phase,
      which is what was noted by John in is previous message :

      (quote)
      < I imagine that fact that the side rods can be perfectly level on
      one side and not quite so perfectly level on the other is just a
      manufacturing tolerance? >
      (unquote)

      It is not a manufacturing tolerance, it is the reproduction of the
      real thing, where a 90 deg offset between the two sets of flywheels
      (or counterbalance weights) is the best mechanical solution for
      levelling the motion of the entire wheelset, thanks to their combined
      inertia (momentum).

      Hope thiZ helpZ,

      Mauro.