Re: Any Good Tips For Reseating Gears, 4-6-2

  • kimvellore
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
      John,
      Dont remove the side rods because it goes back to the same
      location after you remove it and will not help if misalligned.

      I remove and install the gears all the time it takes me a few minutes
      to put it back together. I will try to explain the way I do it.

      First remove the motor and the worm gear if there are any in between
      the motor and the wheels.

      Now you can spin the wheels freely to check if it is binding or not.
      I will start with all the gears removed.

      First install the three gears with the wheels and side rods and
      allign the side rods so they are straight.

      Now you have two more gears to install in between. Start with the end
      closest to the motor and keeping one wheel fixed (the last one close
      to the motor) insert the gear in between. you will see the center
      wheel turn a little during the process, this is the amount of
      missalignment. Now still keeping the last wheel fixed spin the center
      wheeel in the opposite direction the center gear will come out from
      its location when you do this continue to spin in the same direction
      so it slips one or two gear sprocket with respect to the center gear.
      Spin the center wheel back so the three gears are set (you still have
      to keep the last wheel from spinning) and the side rods are still
      straight and free.

      Repeat the same process now keeping the center wheel fixed. You will
      get a hang of it after you get it right once. now put back the gear
      cover (oil pan?) and spin the wheels to make sure there is no
      binding. if there is it is usually the last wheel you worked on so
      repear the process of alligning the gear till it is set right.

      If you still have problems I can make up some pictures and describe
      it.
      Kim

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, John Cubbin <jcubbin@o...> wrote:
      > Hi Dan,
      >
      > I'd like to ask you a question on this gear reseating business. I
      read
      > the Garth Hamilton FAQ (Thanks Jeffrey) where he says he removes the
      > side rods from the wheel sets to reseat his gears.... do you do
      this as
      > well? I would think this runs a really high chance of bending a
      side rod
      > or the rod's holding pin.
      >
      > I imagine this is how they are initially assembled at the factory,
      as
      > attempting to install the gears with the side rods in place just
      > wouldn't be a cost effective method. Are the side rod's holding pins
      > just snug fit, or are they actually some type of rivet that expands
      and
      > locks itself in place in the wheel?
      >
      > If you do remove the side rods, how do you remove the holding pins
      in
      > those rods?
      >
      > Since I posted this question last night, I have reseated the gears
      (a
      > few times!) and the loco is actually running smoother at low (app.
      1.2
      > volts) speeds than it did out of the box. Still, if there's a way to
      > more effective way to do this I'd like to know.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > John
      > http://www.ztrains.com
    • uptoolateny
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
        Hi Kim,

        As I write this I'm in the process of following your instructions. I have to wait a moment for the old soldering iron
        to heat as I accidently broke one of the capicator's solder joints as I was seating the gears! I use David Karp's
        method of removing and replacing the motor on a steam engine so normally I don't need any soldering, I just
        slip the new motor onto the exsisting capacitor.

        One thing I have noticed, after lining up the side rods very evenly, I can turn the loco chassis around and see
        that the side rods on the opposite side are not all sitting in quite as nice a horizontal plane. I have run the
        wheels and I don't detect any binding at all. I imagine that fact that the side rods can be perfectly level on one
        side and not quite so perfectly level on the other is just a manufacturing tolerance?

        I'll post back when I'm up and running!

        Thanks Kim,
        John
        http://www.ztrains.com
      • John Cubbin
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2003
          Hi Kim,

          I appreciate your earlier email detailing your method of reseating the
          gears. As I wrote earlier, I accidentally broke one of the solder joints
          on the capacitor when I removed the motor. Having soldered that back in
          place, I went ahead with the gears. After all were in place correctly, I
          found it very tricky to then get everything to slide into place:

          1) The worm gear into the chassis and motor
          2) The ends of the capacitor into both sets of holes in the motor
          3) Making sure the pan on the gears didn't slip while I reassembled

          I did replace the screw on the front of the oil pan, but without that
          rear (pan & motor) screw in place, the pan can still move around a bit
          and one of the gears can slip out of position. After it was all
          assembled I placed it on the track, and the gears were binding
          immediately. Rather than remove the motor again, I removed the entire
          oil pan, and began reseating the gears. Since the worm gear was now in
          place, I followed your idea of starting with the wheel closest to the
          motor. After inserting and adjusting the three wheels, I then added the
          smaller (intermediate?) gears.

          I'd like to be able to say that was it, all ran smoothly, but it ran
          with a decided thump! I'm believe from a excessive push / pull force due
          to the side rods not being aligned just right. Since everything was
          pretty much assembled at this point, I was able to again just quickly
          remove the oil pan, make a minor adjustment to a gear or two, and try
          that out. After a couple of attempts this way, all fell into place
          nicely. The loco has been running for a couple of hours now, without
          question it's running smoother than when I started this whole process. I
          should also note that this is a brand new loco, all of a couple of days
          old. I find that a little puzzling also, but that's a story for another
          day.

          The biggest question I have is the one I mentioned earlier... why, when
          the side rods on one side of the loco are absolutely straight, the rods
          on the other side of the loco are off just a bit. I'm guessing that that
          this is just a manufacturing tolerance. If that is so, then there is a
          bit of tweaking to be done to maximize a loco's (every loco's)
          performance?

          It's been a fun project, and the 4-6-2 is running great....

          Again thanks for your advice here!

          John
          http://www.ztrains.com
        • John Engbers
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3, 2003
            In the PROTOTYPE THE siderods have to be off center or the engine will get stuck. The local Shortline, Middletown and New Jersey had that problem with one of their steamers. Regards, John Engbers.
[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor