Re: First Trains Rolling in Wohltuendberg (Greer)

  • jameshnicholson
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
      First, thank you for the kind comments and for taking the time to
      visit the website. It's what makes putting a site together
      worthwhile.
      I must admit to having no language ability at all, although my wife
      taught French and Spanish for a living. I took German in college and
      managed to flunk it so badly that I made a point to forget
      everything I learned (not much). I've been to Germany several times
      but never managed to progress beyond the "zwei bier bitte" stage.
      Mostly I have depended on a great on-line German-English dictionary
      http://dict.leo.org/ I'm sure the results are indeed strange and
      wonderful to anyone who actually speaks the language.
      The buildings are all David Winter buildings built to no particular
      scale and mostly based on English prototypes. I just went with what
      gave me the atmosphere I was trying to create. Exact scale and
      prototypical accuracy have been sacrificed in the name of fun.
      The clock tower is made from the Kibri Z scale kit by an
      extraordinarily gifted craftsman who sometimes offers his work on
      EBay. It's a perfect little jewel that doesn't look plastic at all
      and I am ashamed to admit that I won it for about the cost of the
      unassembled kit.
      The flex foam I believe you are referring to is all made by Woodland
      Scenics and is available at most large Hobby shops. I found it a
      great help in constructing a layout with accurate grades.
      Regards,
      James
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Jay & Anne Greer <redwitch1@e...>
      wrote:
      I got a real kick out of your "verdrie├člichen Worten"! "Schlo├č
      Durchziehendwind" almost made me fall out of my chair laughing!

      The > buildings are also of interest, are they 1:220? I think the
      clock tower is especially nice. Additionally I am wondering about
      the flex foam. Did you make it up or is it available ready made?
      > All in all, you have done a very nice job!
    • akovacsy
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3, 2003
        James,
        Congratulations on a truly fantastic and inspirational layout. Thanks
        for sharing it with us and for presenting it in such an attractive
        and informative manner on your website. I'll keep visiting it for
        both inspiration and ideas. Now if you'd just quit bidding the
        prices up so high on those unique Z items on eBay :-)...
        All the best,
        Arpad

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "jameshnicholson" <jhnicholson@c...>
        wrote:
        > I finally completed my main line of track, and to my amazement, it
        > worked without a hitch, To celebrate I hoisted a glass of Rhine
        wine
        > AND posted a MAJOR upgrade to the website. A lot more, and better,
        > pictures of building, rolling stock and actual trains in motion. I
        > would like to invite everyone to visit Wohltuendberg
        > http://www.musc.edu/cando/wohltuendberg/
        > and see the trains rolling - AT LAST,
        > A special thanks to all of you in this group who answered my many
        > questions and made it possible to get this far.
        > Regards,
        > James
      • Mario Daigle
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 21, 2003
          Hi James, Finally got through "the computer jamming up on your web site!...". Tonight for the first time, for some reason; I managed to visit your web site, layout, construction, trains and all. Congratulations on a very well built up web site and layout. Very professional!. I really enjoyed viewing all that you've done to create your own "little paradise". The buildings are superb as well as the layout itself. I'm sure that I will be back for more!. Keep up the great work!. Mario Daigle

          jameshnicholson <jhnicholson@...> wrote:I finally completed my main line of track, and to my amazement, it
          worked without a hitch, To celebrate I hoisted a glass of Rhine wine
          AND posted a MAJOR upgrade to the website. A lot more, and better,
          pictures of building, rolling stock and actual trains in motion. I
          would like to invite everyone to visit Wohltuendberg
          http://www.musc.edu/cando/wohltuendberg/
          and see the trains rolling - AT LAST,
          A special thanks to all of you in this group who answered my many
          questions and made it possible to get this far.
          Regards,
          James

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT