RE: [z_scale] First Trains Rolling in Wohltuendberg

  • Paul Hertel
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
      I agree with Bruce, Fantastic!!
      My head is also swimming with ideas with a design in mind . I will start
      building my layout table tomorrow.
      7' x 2' with a small extension to make it an L shape.

      Paul

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
        First, thank you for the kind comments and for taking the time to
        visit the website. It's what makes putting a site together
        worthwhile.
        I must admit to having no language ability at all, although my wife
        taught French and Spanish for a living. I took German in college and
        managed to flunk it so badly that I made a point to forget
        everything I learned (not much). I've been to Germany several times
        but never managed to progress beyond the "zwei bier bitte" stage.
        Mostly I have depended on a great on-line German-English dictionary
        http://dict.leo.org/ I'm sure the results are indeed strange and
        wonderful to anyone who actually speaks the language.
        The buildings are all David Winter buildings built to no particular
        scale and mostly based on English prototypes. I just went with what
        gave me the atmosphere I was trying to create. Exact scale and
        prototypical accuracy have been sacrificed in the name of fun.
        The clock tower is made from the Kibri Z scale kit by an
        extraordinarily gifted craftsman who sometimes offers his work on
        EBay. It's a perfect little jewel that doesn't look plastic at all
        and I am ashamed to admit that I won it for about the cost of the
        unassembled kit.
        The flex foam I believe you are referring to is all made by Woodland
        Scenics and is available at most large Hobby shops. I found it a
        great help in constructing a layout with accurate grades.
        Regards,
        James
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Jay & Anne Greer <redwitch1@e...>
        wrote:
        I got a real kick out of your "verdrie├člichen Worten"! "Schlo├č
        Durchziehendwind" almost made me fall out of my chair laughing!

        The > buildings are also of interest, are they 1:220? I think the
        clock tower is especially nice. Additionally I am wondering about
        the flex foam. Did you make it up or is it available ready made?
        > All in all, you have done a very nice job!
      • akovacsy
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2003
          James,
          Congratulations on a truly fantastic and inspirational layout. Thanks
          for sharing it with us and for presenting it in such an attractive
          and informative manner on your website. I'll keep visiting it for
          both inspiration and ideas. Now if you'd just quit bidding the
          prices up so high on those unique Z items on eBay :-)...
          All the best,
          Arpad

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "jameshnicholson" <jhnicholson@c...>
          wrote:
          > I finally completed my main line of track, and to my amazement, it
          > worked without a hitch, To celebrate I hoisted a glass of Rhine
          wine
          > AND posted a MAJOR upgrade to the website. A lot more, and better,
          > pictures of building, rolling stock and actual trains in motion. I
          > would like to invite everyone to visit Wohltuendberg
          > http://www.musc.edu/cando/wohltuendberg/
          > and see the trains rolling - AT LAST,
          > A special thanks to all of you in this group who answered my many
          > questions and made it possible to get this far.
          > Regards,
          > James
        • Mario Daigle
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 21, 2003
            Hi James, Finally got through "the computer jamming up on your web site!...". Tonight for the first time, for some reason; I managed to visit your web site, layout, construction, trains and all. Congratulations on a very well built up web site and layout. Very professional!. I really enjoyed viewing all that you've done to create your own "little paradise". The buildings are superb as well as the layout itself. I'm sure that I will be back for more!. Keep up the great work!. Mario Daigle

            jameshnicholson <jhnicholson@...> wrote:I finally completed my main line of track, and to my amazement, it
            worked without a hitch, To celebrate I hoisted a glass of Rhine wine
            AND posted a MAJOR upgrade to the website. A lot more, and better,
            pictures of building, rolling stock and actual trains in motion. I
            would like to invite everyone to visit Wohltuendberg
            http://www.musc.edu/cando/wohltuendberg/
            and see the trains rolling - AT LAST,
            A special thanks to all of you in this group who answered my many
            questions and made it possible to get this far.
            Regards,
            James

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT