First Trains Rolling in Wohltuendberg

  • jameshnicholson
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
      I finally completed my main line of track, and to my amazement, it
      worked without a hitch, To celebrate I hoisted a glass of Rhine wine
      AND posted a MAJOR upgrade to the website. A lot more, and better,
      pictures of building, rolling stock and actual trains in motion. I
      would like to invite everyone to visit Wohltuendberg
      http://www.musc.edu/cando/wohltuendberg/
      and see the trains rolling - AT LAST,
      A special thanks to all of you in this group who answered my many
      questions and made it possible to get this far.
      Regards,
      James
    • Jay & Anne Greer
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
        James,
        Your efforts should be well rewarded with a rousing chorus of bravos and
        applause! I found your pictures, names and comments to be most entertaining
        and informative! In as much as I am of German heritage, I got a real kick
        out of your "verdrießlichen Worten"! "Schloß Durchziehendwind" almost made
        me fall out of my chair laughing!

        Certainly you are running a few of my favorite passenger trains and it was
        rewarding to see what I have in boxes up and running. I am very fond of the
        Prußen Express and Orient Express as well as all those beer cars. The
        buildings are also of interest, are they 1:220? I think the clock tower is
        especially nice. Additionally I am wondering about the flex foam. Did you
        make it up or is it available ready made?
        All in all, you have done a very nice job!
        Tschuß,
        Jay Greer/TRAX INC.

        From: "jameshnicholson" <jhnicholson@...>
        Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 16:36:51 -0000
        To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [z_scale] First Trains Rolling in Wohltuendberg

        I finally completed my main line of track, and to my amazement, it
        worked without a hitch, To celebrate I hoisted a glass of Rhine wine
        AND posted a MAJOR upgrade to the website. A lot more, and better,
        pictures of building, rolling stock and actual trains in motion. I
        would like to invite everyone to visit Wohltuendberg
        http://www.musc.edu/cando/wohltuendberg/
        and see the trains rolling - AT LAST,
        A special thanks to all of you in this group who answered my many
        questions and made it possible to get this far.
        Regards,
        James

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • First United Methodist Church
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
          James,
          Wundervar! I have been following your website off and on for a while
          now and it's something to see it as it comes together. My layout is just in
          the "laying it out" stage, but I can see it in my mind...sometimes it's
          partly cloudy, but I can still see it through the mist.
          Thank you for encouraging me to continue on. One day, the CB&Q
          Baumberger Branch will be complete.
          Thanks again! Z on, brother!
          Bruce E. Baumberger
          > I finally completed my main line of track, and to my amazement, it
          > worked without a hitch, To celebrate I hoisted a glass of Rhine wine
          > AND posted a MAJOR upgrade to the website. A lot more, and better,
          > pictures of building, rolling stock and actual trains in motion. I
          > would like to invite everyone to visit Wohltuendberg
          > http://www.musc.edu/cando/wohltuendberg/
          > and see the trains rolling - AT LAST,
          > A special thanks to all of you in this group who answered my many
          > questions and made it possible to get this far.
          > Regards,
          > James

        • Paul Hertel
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
            I agree with Bruce, Fantastic!!
            My head is also swimming with ideas with a design in mind . I will start
            building my layout table tomorrow.
            7' x 2' with a small extension to make it an L shape.

            Paul

            > I finally completed my main line of track, and to my amazement, it
            > worked without a hitch, To celebrate I hoisted a glass of Rhine wine
            > AND posted a MAJOR upgrade to the website. A lot more, and better,
            > pictures of building, rolling stock and actual trains in motion. I
            > would like to invite everyone to visit Wohltuendberg
            > http://www.musc.edu/cando/wohltuendberg/
            > and see the trains rolling - AT LAST,
            > A special thanks to all of you in this group who answered my many
            > questions and made it possible to get this far.
            > Regards,
            > James

            DoseZ!

            > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • jameshnicholson
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
              First, thank you for the kind comments and for taking the time to
              visit the website. It's what makes putting a site together
              worthwhile.
              I must admit to having no language ability at all, although my wife
              taught French and Spanish for a living. I took German in college and
              managed to flunk it so badly that I made a point to forget
              everything I learned (not much). I've been to Germany several times
              but never managed to progress beyond the "zwei bier bitte" stage.
              Mostly I have depended on a great on-line German-English dictionary
              http://dict.leo.org/ I'm sure the results are indeed strange and
              wonderful to anyone who actually speaks the language.
              The buildings are all David Winter buildings built to no particular
              scale and mostly based on English prototypes. I just went with what
              gave me the atmosphere I was trying to create. Exact scale and
              prototypical accuracy have been sacrificed in the name of fun.
              The clock tower is made from the Kibri Z scale kit by an
              extraordinarily gifted craftsman who sometimes offers his work on
              EBay. It's a perfect little jewel that doesn't look plastic at all
              and I am ashamed to admit that I won it for about the cost of the
              unassembled kit.
              The flex foam I believe you are referring to is all made by Woodland
              Scenics and is available at most large Hobby shops. I found it a
              great help in constructing a layout with accurate grades.
              Regards,
              James
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Jay & Anne Greer <redwitch1@e...>
              wrote:
              I got a real kick out of your "verdrießlichen Worten"! "Schloß
              Durchziehendwind" almost made me fall out of my chair laughing!

              The > buildings are also of interest, are they 1:220? I think the
              clock tower is especially nice. Additionally I am wondering about
              the flex foam. Did you make it up or is it available ready made?
              > All in all, you have done a very nice job!
            • akovacsy
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 3, 2003
                James,
                Congratulations on a truly fantastic and inspirational layout. Thanks
                for sharing it with us and for presenting it in such an attractive
                and informative manner on your website. I'll keep visiting it for
                both inspiration and ideas. Now if you'd just quit bidding the
                prices up so high on those unique Z items on eBay :-)...
                All the best,
                Arpad

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "jameshnicholson" <jhnicholson@c...>
                wrote:
                > I finally completed my main line of track, and to my amazement, it
                > worked without a hitch, To celebrate I hoisted a glass of Rhine
                wine
                > AND posted a MAJOR upgrade to the website. A lot more, and better,
                > pictures of building, rolling stock and actual trains in motion. I
                > would like to invite everyone to visit Wohltuendberg
                > http://www.musc.edu/cando/wohltuendberg/
                > and see the trains rolling - AT LAST,
                > A special thanks to all of you in this group who answered my many
                > questions and made it possible to get this far.
                > Regards,
                > James
              • Mario Daigle