Re: [z_scale] Re: New Member

  • M. Gottschalch
    Message 1 of 77 , Apr 1, 2003
      willypinhead wrote:

      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "jmac_han" <jmac_han@y...> wrote:
      > > Welcome Wilson,
      > >
      > > It's nice to know that you think so highly of our little
      > community. I
      > > certainly agree with you ;-)
      > >
      > > Sounds like you have a real appreciation for passenger
      > > operations. I can't help you with the signal question but there
      > are
      > > many friendly and smart people on the list who can.
      > >
      > > Best of luck building your dream layout and remeber that none of
      > > us can ever have enough trains!
      > >
      > > All the best,
      > > Jeffrey MacHan
      >
      > Hello Jeffrey,
      > Thank you for the reply!! I already see good people care in this
      > group.Can you or anyone else please tell me the down side of using
      > the catenary method?Iam very much interested on appling them to my
      > layout.I don't have any now,how many do I need for three lanes of
      > travel(size-shaped as a "L",5'by 3')plus about 15 lanes for the layups
      > (size-1x8505+1x8500).Thank you to all!!!
      >
      > Willypinhead

      First thing I would do is to set up the track where you are going to
      have it so that you have an approximation of the distances involved.
      Then you can measure the track and buy enough catenary less 10% to do it
      all.
      You will also have to buy some of the adjustable catenary and the pieces
      for the turnouts, unless you decide to solder your one for that. For the
      three track and you will probably have to cut down the 5 track cross
      track carriers and solder them in the center. Or you could use two track
      carriers and then do one track with the single towers but that would
      cost more.

      On the other hand, (I have five thumbs...) if you buy about half of the
      catenary that you think you will need then you can lay that out on the
      track and see how many towers you need and where they would best be
      placed. You will also be able to figure out how many more catenary
      sections and also how many adjustable sections you will need to complete
      the project. If you plan on tunnels then you can either use the prebuilt
      catenary in there or you can use the solid 12 gauge wire stripped out of
      house electrical wire and soldered to holders fastened to the walls. Use
      a piece of regular catenary cut in half at the beginning and end of the
      tunnel so the plain copper wire is not visible.

      That's about all that I can say from what I've done. Some of the other
      people on the list will also have other ideas and options for you to
      consider, I hope,,,,, hint hintÂ….

      --
      Manfred G
    • MG
      Message 77 of 77 , Oct 7, 2013
        Welcome Nick, That is exactly what I did years ago and I haven't
        missed the big trains yet.

        Manfred