Re: [z_scale] font on homepage

  • Garth A. Hamilton - VE3HO
    Message 1 of 6 , May 8, 2000
      web page fonts

      There are many fonts but it is the viewer who determines what is used.
      He must have the font specified or one of the fonts specified or the default font on your system is used. There are basically four groups of fonts. varible width and fixed width, serif and sans serif. From each of these groups you can pick several that will produce a similar page. An example of that is the following. <FONT COLOR="blue" FACE="verdana, trebuchet, arial, helvetica"> Here the primary font is arial in North America, but you can find helvitica but verdana and trebuchet are primarily european according to my literature. I have all four fonts and I check the viewing in all four for major pages and they are different enough to notice but not so that the page effect is greatly changed. Variable width is fine for general text it reduces the amount of space the text occupies. however if you are arranging colomns of information the fixed width is better as it will line up properly all the time and you tabs are consistent which is not the case with a variable width.

      Hope that helps.

      Garth
      At 10:12 PM 05/08/2000 +0200, you wrote:

      >Hi,
      >
      >There are so many people here making homepages these days, that I just
      >as well can put my question forward in this forum as in any other.
      >
      >(Excuse me for being a little off-topic - but it is my *train* site
      >I'm trying to shine up)
      >
      >I have just looked on my page from another computer. It does not
      >display the text: "Welcome Z'ers" in the right font. - - Because it is
      >not on my server and not on the PC in question - I suppose.
      >
      >When I put pictures on the pages, the editor is smart enough to
      >move/copy them from their folder on my harddrive (or cd) to my project
      >library's image folder.
      >
      >Dosn't it do the same thing with fonts?? If not - how do I make my
      >editor understand that I want to transfer the used fonts as well. In
      >the html code the font name *is* given. But not a single word on where
      >to find it. I guess the fonts are searched in a "standard" path.
      >
      >My web-directory tree doesn't have a font folder.
      >Can I put the font in my image directory, and in some way indicate in
      >the html code that the font has to be taken there?
      >
      >I want to use the image directory as I'm sure that this is transferred
      >to the server when publishing the page(s)
      >
      >I hope some of the more experienced home-page authors will point me in
      >the correct direction.
      >
      >regards Ole Rosted, Denmark

      >Accurate impartial advice on everything from laptops to table saws.
      >
      >CraZy 'bout Zee!
    • M. Gottschalch
      Message 2 of 6 , May 8, 2000
        Ole,
        The following is something I found on web page building.
        PRIVATE VIEWING

        You've got a Web page, all right, but it's not quite ready for prime
        time. You need content, as they say in the Web biz. (You know, what
        the "creatives" USED to call words and pictures.) To create text from
        scratch, just start typing it in. The words you type appear in
        whatever font you've designated as your default for page viewing.
        Remember that after you publish your page on the Web, other people
        will see the page in whatever font THEY'VE designated as the default
        for their browser, so don't put too much stock in the way the page
        looks in a particular font. (Note that there ARE ways to force other
        people to see things your way in your favorite font, but it requires a
        pretty good grasp of HTML--unless you want to download Netscape
        Communicator and use its HTML editor, Composer.

        Your idea of making the page a picture with clear backround will
        probably take a long time to download. Also if someone has their
        automatic picture download turned off then they will see nothing.
        Remember you are loading your web page from your hard drive and that is
        a LOT faster then a modem connection.

        --
        Manfred