font on homepage

  • Ole Rosted
    Message 1 of 6 , May 8, 2000
      Hi,

      There are so many people here making homepages these days, that I just
      as well can put my question forward in this forum as in any other.

      (Excuse me for being a little off-topic - but it is my *train* site
      I'm trying to shine up)

      I have just looked on my page from another computer. It does not
      display the text: "Welcome Z'ers" in the right font. - - Because it is
      not on my server and not on the PC in question - I suppose.

      When I put pictures on the pages, the editor is smart enough to
      move/copy them from their folder on my harddrive (or cd) to my project
      library's image folder.

      Dosn't it do the same thing with fonts?? If not - how do I make my
      editor understand that I want to transfer the used fonts as well. In
      the html code the font name *is* given. But not a single word on where
      to find it. I guess the fonts are searched in a "standard" path.

      My web-directory tree doesn't have a font folder.
      Can I put the font in my image directory, and in some way indicate in
      the html code that the font has to be taken there?

      I want to use the image directory as I'm sure that this is transferred
      to the server when publishing the page(s)

      I hope some of the more experienced home-page authors will point me in
      the correct direction.

      regards Ole Rosted, Denmark
    • Tapani Tuominen
      Message 2 of 6 , May 8, 2000
        There is no universally working method to define fonts for your web-pages
        and have them automatically downloaded.

        For Internet Explorer there is font embedding tool(see:
        http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/default.htm) but it works
        with Internet Explorer only and there is copyright issue as you would
        probably want to distribute commercial, copyright protected font files in
        the web unless you have created your own font sets. Downloading font files
        can also take some time when using a slow speed net connection.

        The best way is to stick with fonts that most computers already have. Such
        fonts are shipped with Windows and Internet Explorer for instance (see:
        http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/default.htm). These fonts, if
        they exist, will work with other browsers too.

        Tapani Tuominen
        France
        E-mail: trains@...
        WWW: http://www.bearware.net/trains/

      • moglen
        Message 3 of 6 , May 8, 2000
          You can use your font obviously and if people have it it will be displayed
          in that font.

          However you can select a backup font which is the most appropriate run of
          the mill font you can find.

          I think you can choose 2 back up fonts in most publishing programs.

          It will default to them if your chosen font is not on the viewers pc.

          Best,

          Glen

          > There is no universally working method to define fonts for your web-pages
          > and have them automatically downloaded.
          >
          > For Internet Explorer there is font embedding tool(see:
          > http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/default.htm) but it
          works
          > with Internet Explorer only and there is copyright issue as you would
          > probably want to distribute commercial, copyright protected font files in
          > the web unless you have created your own font sets. Downloading font files
          > can also take some time when using a slow speed net connection.
          >
          > The best way is to stick with fonts that most computers already have. Such
          > fonts are shipped with Windows and Internet Explorer for instance (see:
          > http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/default.htm). These fonts, if
          > they exist, will work with other browsers too.
          >

          > Tapani Tuominen
          > France
          > E-mail: trains@...
          > WWW: http://www.bearware.net/trains/

        • Ole Rosted
          Message 4 of 6 , May 8, 2000
            On Mon, 8 May 2000 21:44:51 +0100, you wrote:

            Hello group,

            >You can use your font obviously and if people have it it will be displayed
            >in that font.
            >
            >However you can select a backup font which is the most appropriate run of
            >the mill font you can find.

            [snip]

            Thanks to those who helped me with my font-problem.

            I cannot find out to do it however, but then I suddenly got the idea
            of making the text as a picture with transparent background.

            It was done and it looks fine - - here.'

            For some reason I cannot get in touch with my ISP's homepage server. I

            I'll try again tomorrow.

            Thanks fopr your replies!

            regards Ole Rosted, Denmark
          • Garth A. Hamilton - VE3HO
            Message 5 of 6 , May 8, 2000
              web page fonts

              There are many fonts but it is the viewer who determines what is used.
              He must have the font specified or one of the fonts specified or the default font on your system is used. There are basically four groups of fonts. varible width and fixed width, serif and sans serif. From each of these groups you can pick several that will produce a similar page. An example of that is the following. <FONT COLOR="blue" FACE="verdana, trebuchet, arial, helvetica"> Here the primary font is arial in North America, but you can find helvitica but verdana and trebuchet are primarily european according to my literature. I have all four fonts and I check the viewing in all four for major pages and they are different enough to notice but not so that the page effect is greatly changed. Variable width is fine for general text it reduces the amount of space the text occupies. however if you are arranging colomns of information the fixed width is better as it will line up properly all the time and you tabs are consistent which is not the case with a variable width.

              Hope that helps.

              Garth
              At 10:12 PM 05/08/2000 +0200, you wrote:

              >Hi,
              >
              >There are so many people here making homepages these days, that I just
              >as well can put my question forward in this forum as in any other.
              >
              >(Excuse me for being a little off-topic - but it is my *train* site
              >I'm trying to shine up)
              >
              >I have just looked on my page from another computer. It does not
              >display the text: "Welcome Z'ers" in the right font. - - Because it is
              >not on my server and not on the PC in question - I suppose.
              >
              >When I put pictures on the pages, the editor is smart enough to
              >move/copy them from their folder on my harddrive (or cd) to my project
              >library's image folder.
              >
              >Dosn't it do the same thing with fonts?? If not - how do I make my
              >editor understand that I want to transfer the used fonts as well. In
              >the html code the font name *is* given. But not a single word on where
              >to find it. I guess the fonts are searched in a "standard" path.
              >
              >My web-directory tree doesn't have a font folder.
              >Can I put the font in my image directory, and in some way indicate in
              >the html code that the font has to be taken there?
              >
              >I want to use the image directory as I'm sure that this is transferred
              >to the server when publishing the page(s)
              >
              >I hope some of the more experienced home-page authors will point me in
              >the correct direction.
              >
              >regards Ole Rosted, Denmark

              >Accurate impartial advice on everything from laptops to table saws.
              >
              >CraZy 'bout Zee!
            • M. Gottschalch
              Message 6 of 6 , May 8, 2000
                Ole,
                The following is something I found on web page building.
                PRIVATE VIEWING

                You've got a Web page, all right, but it's not quite ready for prime
                time. You need content, as they say in the Web biz. (You know, what
                the "creatives" USED to call words and pictures.) To create text from
                scratch, just start typing it in. The words you type appear in
                whatever font you've designated as your default for page viewing.
                Remember that after you publish your page on the Web, other people
                will see the page in whatever font THEY'VE designated as the default
                for their browser, so don't put too much stock in the way the page
                looks in a particular font. (Note that there ARE ways to force other
                people to see things your way in your favorite font, but it requires a
                pretty good grasp of HTML--unless you want to download Netscape
                Communicator and use its HTML editor, Composer.

                Your idea of making the page a picture with clear backround will
                probably take a long time to download. Also if someone has their
                automatic picture download turned off then they will see nothing.
                Remember you are loading your web page from your hard drive and that is
                a LOT faster then a modem connection.

                --
                Manfred