Re: pilot coupler

  • giovanni guarnieri <guargne@libero.it>
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2003
      thanks to andy and steve for their suggestions.
      the footboard solution is indeed very neat and prototype looking for
      a mikado; in any case you won't see much of the front of the second
      locomotive!
      i also looked, as suggested, at older messages about the same subject
      and i understand that in any case there will be many tackling and
      bothering to make things go right.
      frankly i hoped to have a reply of the kind: ...just unscrew ...,then
      mount item #... available at $1.00 at your local hobbyshop, but that
      would have been too easy. this is z-scale, fellows!
      i don't know if my skills are good enough to afford such a conversion
      now -i'm always afraid of ruining these expensive jewels- but i'm
      sure they will be when the last rail of my future tehachapi loop is
      laid!
      cheerz, giovanni.

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Hunting <tv175@y...>"
      <tv175@y...> wrote:

      > Good point, Steve. Actually, I had something similar in mind:
      remove
      > cowcatcher, add footboards. Some of the 2-8-2 locomotives that
      > Märklin has modeled (such as Balt. & Ohio #4500) had footboards and
      > no cowcatcher, similar to your New York Central example. Märklin
      gave
      > them all cowcatchers anyway, rather than make a new mold. They do
      > have small footsteps on each side of the cowcatcher, but they are
      > much too small. Some brass or styrene footboards would be ideal.
      >
      > Westmodel builds a brass pilot beam in Z scale. You can see a
      drawing
      > of this at the Aspenmodel web site,
      > http://www.aspenmodel.com/Frame_e.htm . Look under Z-Scale, then
      > Parts. I haven't seen this piece in real life, just that drawing.
      The
      > footboards still look too small, but better. The Westmodel pilot
      beam
      > is pictured with a knuckle coupler. I assume that this is a
      > stationary brass coupler. I wonder if it really works?
      >
      > -- Andy Hunting
      >
      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Delibert" <stevdel@p...>
      > wrote:
      > > Thanks to Andy for so much useful information.
      > >
      > > One added suggestion: Instead of cutting off the pilot
      > ("cowcatcher")
      > > altogether to make room for trip pins, it would be more accurate
      in
      > American
      > > practice to substitute footboards, which should allow the desired
      > space and
      > > be much more prototypical. New York Central, among other big US
      > railroads,
      > > had such footboards on almost all their steam freight power.
      For