Having fun etc.

  • Jeffrey MacHan
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2000
      Hello Ole and friends,

      I think Ole was right, other modelers are envious of the FUN we Z scalers
      are having with our CUTE trains and layouts. CUTE is the word that I most
      often hear from people when they first see the Val Ease Central.

      Ole, the certificate that I completed was indeed for what is called:
      Model Railroad Engineer - Electricity, not necessarily electronics. I'll
      eventually post the paperwork that I provided on my website to give you an
      idea of what is involved. I was very pleased when the chief judge told me
      that my file was the best that he had ever seen. He asked me if I was an
      electrical engineer! The real reason that my file was so good, I suppose,
      was that I provided more than they expected in order to overcompensate for
      certain attitudes!

      On the subject of digital cameras, I have had terrific success with the Sony
      Mavica MDC-83 that my wife and I purchased last month. It takes excellent
      photos and short MPEGs. The optics are super. It records the images to a
      floppy disk which can be read by both PCs and Apple PowerMacs. We get 36
      images to a disk in medium resolution. There is also an email format which
      records a thumbnail image as well as the standard image. High resolution
      will record only 1 image to the disk. Yes, we know that the future of
      digital cameras is the memory stick but we like what we got.

      My wife loves the camera because it allows macro photos with very good depth
      of field (5 cm closest focus). She can review the photos right away and
      delete the ones she doesn't want to show anybody! At the Salmon Arm train
      show, she had a great time showing her photos to the other attendees.

      On the subject of having to develop 40 skill sets...I am sharpening my
      sketching pencils and digging out my paint brushes in preparation for the
      painting of my new backdrop. I have 10 tubes of acrylic artist's paints, 2
      large sheets of white heavy weight card stock for the backdrop (1 to
      practice on and 1 for the final version). The card stock will be glued to
      foam core in 4 - 1 meter length sections. I plan to double the height of
      the present backdrop to 30 cm (12 inches)in order to include the sky and
      give greater perspective.

      Once again I have commandeered the dining room table for this major
      construction project. Hopefully this will be the last time!

      Best regards,

      Jeffrey MacHan
      CEO: Val Ease Central RR http://www.Val-Ease-Central.com
      Moderator: Z_Scale@egroups.com