Still more summer reruns....Anders and Bill

  • BJKRONEN@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 6, 1999
      Rob, and the list:

      Again, from a question on R.M.R.....L.L.O.S.......which stands for:
      Rec.Models.Railroad.and.Lionel.and.Lots.of.Odd.Stuff

      Both Anders Lattermann and I jumped in on this one....see below.

      How can you continue to wear that heavy sweater on your web site in all that
      Stockholm heat anyway, Anders?

      Bill

      - - - - - - - - -

      Re: Z #2

      > Bill. Saw your reply re:MT vs Marklin
      > I purched an F7 Daylite w/5 cars and the engine wont pull it around
      > corners. The engine needs weight but I don`t know where or how to add it.
      > Any ideas. Thanks for any help. Joseph

      Joseph:

      Nice move. Nice train. I have one too, and love it.

      Slip the shell off the Marklin F7. Notice the plastic rods that are cast into
      the underside of the roof of the shell. These rods normally sit down on the
      PC board over the motor and gears. It also defines the space in which you
      can
      put added weight.

      If you added weight covers over these rods, then the weight will short
      against the PC board when you put it together. If you stop adding weights
      before
      you reach the top of these rods, then you are OK.

      What kind of weight. Well, you can buy sheets of lead at your local RR
      store, and cut a series of rectangles to fit, with holes to clear the rods.
      Cheap.
      Only requires sissors. Can be taped in and experimented with, glued in
      later..

      Or you can visit your local golf supply store (yes, golf) and buy jars of
      powered metals (lead, depleted uranium, etc.). You can pour these into the
      shell, and add your favorite watery cement to secure the "load". Its
      probably the way of getting the "most" weight in the shell. Also, any
      mistakes are
      hard to "fix". Not for the beginner.

      If you go the later way, email me first. There are some must-not-do's with
      that course of action.

      In either method, be sure nothing shorts out the PC board on top of the
      motor.

      I have an extended 9 car SP daylight with a pair of F7's. Only one of the
      F7s is weighted, the other has a Richmond Controls Mars light kit in the
      "roof".
      But they can charge a 2.5 percent grade and make it.

      PS. Have you cleaned both the track, and the loco wheels lately? A single
      F7 and 5 passenger cars should be able to make 8 inch curves on the flat and
      level just fine.

      Bill

      - - - - - - - -

      And also, check if the cars roll properly. They should roll a rather long
      way by them selves if you push one away on the rails with your hand.

      Good luck and best regards from a very hot and sunny Stockholm!

      /Anders Lattermann
    • Lowenberg
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 7, 1999
        Hi,

        > In either method, be sure nothing shorts out the PC board on top of the
        > motor.

        Why not put pieces of electricians tape on top (bottom) of the led? Could
        both hold the led in place and prevent shorts.

        Jan
      • BJKRONEN@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 7, 1999
          Jan:

          > > In either method, be sure nothing shorts out the PC board on top of the
          > > motor.

          > Why not put pieces of electricians tape on top (bottom) of the led? Could
          > both hold the led in place and prevent shorts.

          No doubt that would work, Jan. But I like to leave a bit of air space above
          the PC board for air to circulate. No scienfitic reason. Just personal
          preference. These little engines get hot enough, much less smothering them
          to death.

          Does anyone have some ideas about "how much" air circulation space is "good"??

          Or for that matter, how much added weight is "good".

          Thanks,
          Bill Kronenberger
          Houston
        • Anders Lattermann
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 8, 1999
            > How can you continue to wear that heavy sweater on your web site
            > in all that
            > Stockholm heat anyway, Anders?

            It's just an illusion...

            /Anders - sweater on http://www.lattermann.com/amaZing/
          • Anders Lattermann
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 8, 1999
              Speaking about my web, I've put up a new answer from Frank Bergmans in the
              Good and Bad section. If you want to contribute, please email me your
              answers, the questions is also on my web.

              Frank, also suggested a new question, which I thought was so good that I
              included it:
              # Which future models would you like to see?

              /Anders + sweater on http://www.lattermann.com/amaZing/
            • Manfred Gottschalch
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 12, 1999
                I would like to see the Druckluft Diesel engine (from the 30's) Marklin
                made it in HO, so why not in Z?
                --
                Manfred Gottschalch
                Finance & Accounting Records Mgr.