Re: Vacation is over, back to Z!

  • Lindy9113@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 6, 1999
      Mi nombre es David. Vivo en Kansas. Modelo prototipos americanos en escala de
      Z. Tengo gusto de productos micro de los trenes pero recojo sobre todo m�s
      bien que ejecutado.
      Recepci�n al grupo de la escala de Z!
    • Ed Scullin
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 14, 1999
        Hi all,
        My name is Ed Scullin (really Edward, but that was for when I was
        working) I am retired from working for the US Navy in the field of
        Avionics) I am almost 65 years old/young. I live in a small town
        (Ridgecrest) in the high desert of California. We are at about 2,500
        feet (750 Meters) The temperature gets up to 110 F (43 C) but the
        humidity is only about 10-15 % (It's a dry heat :-})
        I found Z scale on a trip to Germany to visit the Christmas markets in
        1990. Had been in HO when a teenager, and wandered into a toy/hobby
        store in Rothenbug. I looked at the Marklin HO and then the clerk
        showed me a Steam starter set (8805 and two cars). He had been shipped
        a set with the US power supply (60 hertz). He gaave me agood price, and
        I was sold. When I got home I set up an oval that fits on top of the
        TV, and we were off and running. When we bought our nwe house, I had
        them make a part of the garage into "train"room. No basements here
        either. It is about 10 by 20 feet (3 x 6 M). On end is layout, and the
        other end work bench, storage and library.
        My intrests are like most of all railroaders, we tend to model what we
        know. My RR is a US country road that is set in the 1930s and early
        1940s Mostly steam, but I have some F7s, The running rolling stock is
        all Micro Trains, about 150 cars). If Marklin made wheel sets that were
        black instead of the shiny metal they use, I would then convert the
        Marklin cars I do have and run them also. Have just finished building
        some of the PennZee heavyweight passenger cars. Will paint them next
        week. The Skull River and Whitt Valley RR is pleased to announce that
        they will now have daily passenger service.
        My motive power is mostly Marklin Mikados (2-8-2) and Pacifics (4-6-2)
        and one Westmodel Hudson (4-6-4). There are 4 8805s that share
        switching duties in the yards. The 2 MT F7s haul heavy freight loads
        and will pull the passenger train soon. The one 8832 (F7 ABA) is used
        for freight srevice.
        I appreaciate all of the help and guidence that I have gotten from the
        Z list and its participents. Thank heaven for the Alta Vista
        translation service @
        http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/cgi-bin/translate. It lets me
        eavesdrop on our European friends.
        Keep on running trains. The real ones don't gather dust while just
        sitting around.
        Ed Scullin
      • Anders Lattermann
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 24, 1999
          > If Marklin made wheel sets that were
          > black instead of the shiny metal they use, I would then convert the
          > Marklin cars I do have and run them also.

          I switched wheels on the Marklin transformator car from plastic (black) to
          metal ones and it didn't look good since there are black dummy wheels in the
          boggie also, so I just painted the sides of the wheels black with a
          permanent marker pen.

          > and one Westmodel Hudson (4-6-4). There are 4 8805s that share
          > switching duties in the yards.

          If you didn't know that already, there is a replacement shell for the 8800
          locos (might fit the 8805) that converts it to an american prototype.

          /Anders Lattermann
        • Ole Rosted
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 24, 1999
            On Tue, 24 Aug 1999 14:38:47 +0200, you wrote:

            Anders wrote:

            >If you didn't know that already, there is a replacement shell for the 8800
            >locos (might fit the 8805) that converts it to an american prototype.

            None of these are in my 1998/99 M Complete catalogue.
            Nor is the 8864 - which I was told is a red steam locomotive of some
            kind. What does the 8864 look like? Has it any close relatives in the
            mentioned catalogue?

            regards Ole Rosted, Denmark
          • Anders Lattermann
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 24, 1999
              > >If you didn't know that already, there is a replacement shell
              > for the 8800
              > >locos (might fit the 8805) that converts it to an american prototype.
              > None of these are in my 1998/99 M Complete catalogue.

              The replacement shell was (is - don't know if it's still in manufacturing)
              not made my M but another company whos name I don't remember.

              > Nor is the 8864 - which I was told is a red steam locomotive of some
              > kind. What does the 8864 look like? Has it any close relatives in the
              > mentioned catalogue?

              Is out of production since many years. You can find it under diesels on this
              site: http://titan.glo.be/~pr002441/

              /Anders