RE: [z_scale] Very unscientific poll analysis

  • Ron Ratliff
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2003
      Bill K. wrote:
      >It was absolutely delightful to see several Z_Scale list members turn
      up at >GATS last weekend, run trains and even bring their latest
      masterpieces in
      >modeling along with them. (Strong Hint: A certain person urgently
      needs to
      >post photos of their museum quality buildings he made with Scratch and
      >styrene).

      Well, at the risk of losing my professional lurker status ;-) I have to
      thank Bill for his kind words. I'm not sure I would call these two
      buildings "museum quality", but admittedly I was rather happy with the
      way these first attempts at scratch building turned out.

      One of the first things I noticed after getting into Z was the lack of
      American style industrial buildings. I tried several ideas for doing a
      brick curtain building, but was never satisfied with the bricks, the
      doors or the windows. All that changed when Reynard introduced his
      Z-Scratch. I've got to tell you, I was like a little kid at Christmas
      waiting for that first delivery of Z-Scratch. Thanks, Reynard, you made
      this old dude feel young again! Anyway, once I had Reynard's highly
      detailed brick, doors and windows, I added them to the styrene walls I
      had previously worked out and finally got the building I had been trying
      to do all along. These windows were actually made from the Z-Scratch
      1/16" mesh but I think the new windows meant for the Pennzee buildings
      will make this building look better.

      Since I had already built most of the Micro Structures downtown
      building, I was thinking about buying more of those buildings and trying
      to kitbash them into something different. Once again it was Reynard to
      the rescue! The downtown building was inspired by some of the buildings
      I had found in San Angelo, Tx. when I was there over Christmas.

      I've uploaded a couple of pictures of each building to the Photos
      section in a folder named Ron's Buildings. I'm working on several more
      and will upload pictures when they are completed ... and I've learned
      more about using this new camera.

      Ron Ratliff
      Richmond, Tx.
    • David Stoyles
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2003
        Hi All,
        I've been lurking for a while. I live in Toronto. I've
        only been interested in Z scale for a short time,
        however, I'm very interested in it now! I recently
        went on a trek through the mountains of BC stopping at
        the road side every few kms admiring the train scenery
        (and amusing my wife who is very supportive). Although
        my primary interest is to model CP, I'm looking for
        any z-scalers in the Toronto area. I'm currently
        planning my first layout - a 2x4 foot from 101 track
        plans. I have a dreams of a Z-Bend module at some
        point too (and perhaps a Toronto Z Club). I'm not sure
        how these kinds of contacts are usually made, if it's
        appropriate to reply to me on the list then go for it
        - if not, I'd like to hear from you at
        dastoyles@...
        Cheers everyone, keep up the good work!
        Dave

        P.S. I love Z-Scale Magazine, I just got a few back
        issues in the mail, and am looking forward to the
        arrival of the next issue.

      • Reynard Wellman
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2003
          Hello Ron,

          Your second batch of Scratch shipped out on Thursday
          and I was curious as to what exactly you were building.
          and found your photos. I am very pleased with the results!

          This is what I had intended all along: a way to use materials
          wether brass, styrene, balsa wood, paper, etc to create very
          authentic, enjoyable structures and accessories for Z scale.

          You have really done an excellent modeling job. Not only is
          there preciseness in execution, there is a great deal of architectural
          charm in the design.

          I hope that others will take a look at the various kits and Scratch
          materials Ron has so aptly used to create these authentic looking
          mid-twentieth century factories. I would even send diorama photos
          to Model Railroader for the photo contest once you have mastered
          your photographic skills. You already have the modeling skills.

          Best regards and thanks for sharing your structures with us.

          Reynard

        • Reynard Wellman
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2003
            Hello David,

            A 2x4 foot layout will give you plenty of fun. That was the
            size of my first Z scale layout as well. But now I'm reaching
            for broader curves in a wider layout and hoping that AZL
            (American Z Lines) will release the Southern Pacific GS4
            Daylight locomotive soon so that I can run my long collection
            of SP Daylight coaches behind it. Why Marklin went to all
            the trouble and expense of making these beautiful cars and
            then never followed through with one of the crowning glories
            of the US steam era, the SP GS4, I'll never know. Surely they
            would have sold every one they made.

            I suspect that they found that those four big driver wheels on
            the GS4 were not compatible with their briefcase radius
            track and turnouts. Derailments would have been a big
            embarrassment to them and could have driven enthusiasts
            to the doorsteps of competitive manufacturers. Well, it's
            happening anyway.

            Welcome to the group.
            Regards,
            Reynard