Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: [z_scale] Very unscientific poll analysis

Expand Messages
  • zbendtrack@aol.com
    ... In order to spend money, there has to be product to buy. When I started in Z in the mid-1990 s, manufacturer s were dropping items (Kibri, Noch, etc.),
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2003
      Jeffrey:

      > Spending habits:
      > It appears that the majority of Z scalers are not big spenders.

      In order to spend money, there has to be product to buy. When I started in Z
      in the mid-1990's, manufacturer's were dropping items (Kibri, Noch, etc.),
      not increasing the number of items. Fortunately, in the past three years a
      host of new items from new manufacturers have turned up. I have hopes this
      will spur sales to higher levels, and the increase in choices encourage new
      modeler's to enjoy Z scale.

      > This seems to be in keeping with a general impression outside
      > Z-scale that Z-scalers are highly individualistic and discreet.

      Good news. Because of the communications afforded by THIS list, we have been
      successful in finding a number of "closet Z scalers" and getting them
      involved to a greater extent. Prior to this list, it was difficult or
      impossible to even find out who they were and where they were at.

      It was absolutely delightful to see several Z_Scale list members turn up at
      GATS last weekend, run trains and even bring their latest masterpieces in
      modeling along with them. (Strong Hint: A certain person urgently needs to
      post photos of their museum quality buildings he made with Scratch and
      styrene).

      We will continue to do 10 (plus) shows a year with the Z-Bend Track layout.
      And it looks like the Dallas group(s) will continue to "smoke 'em out" as
      well. San Antonio has a Z-Bend Track group coming online as well. Z does
      well in Texas (the state with of no basements for trains).

      Our latest technique is to approach Train shops who sell Z to allow us to set
      up a small Z-Bend Track layout right in their store on a Saturday (a 5 meter
      long layout). It seems they are more than willing to move furniture and
      displays to make room for us. It will increase the exposure of Z scale, and
      perhaps stimulate the store's sales in Z. Ask your train shop if you can set
      up. You very well may get "yes" for an answer.

      Regards,
      Bill K.
      Houston







      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • Ron Ratliff
      ... up at GATS last weekend, run trains and even bring their latest masterpieces in ... needs to ... Well, at the risk of losing my professional lurker status
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2003
        Bill K. wrote:
        >It was absolutely delightful to see several Z_Scale list members turn
        up at >GATS last weekend, run trains and even bring their latest
        masterpieces in
        >modeling along with them. (Strong Hint: A certain person urgently
        needs to
        >post photos of their museum quality buildings he made with Scratch and
        >styrene).

        Well, at the risk of losing my professional lurker status ;-) I have to
        thank Bill for his kind words. I'm not sure I would call these two
        buildings "museum quality", but admittedly I was rather happy with the
        way these first attempts at scratch building turned out.

        One of the first things I noticed after getting into Z was the lack of
        American style industrial buildings. I tried several ideas for doing a
        brick curtain building, but was never satisfied with the bricks, the
        doors or the windows. All that changed when Reynard introduced his
        Z-Scratch. I've got to tell you, I was like a little kid at Christmas
        waiting for that first delivery of Z-Scratch. Thanks, Reynard, you made
        this old dude feel young again! Anyway, once I had Reynard's highly
        detailed brick, doors and windows, I added them to the styrene walls I
        had previously worked out and finally got the building I had been trying
        to do all along. These windows were actually made from the Z-Scratch
        1/16" mesh but I think the new windows meant for the Pennzee buildings
        will make this building look better.

        Since I had already built most of the Micro Structures downtown
        building, I was thinking about buying more of those buildings and trying
        to kitbash them into something different. Once again it was Reynard to
        the rescue! The downtown building was inspired by some of the buildings
        I had found in San Angelo, Tx. when I was there over Christmas.

        I've uploaded a couple of pictures of each building to the Photos
        section in a folder named Ron's Buildings. I'm working on several more
        and will upload pictures when they are completed ... and I've learned
        more about using this new camera.

        Ron Ratliff
        Richmond, Tx.
      • David Stoyles
        Hi All, I ve been lurking for a while. I live in Toronto. I ve only been interested in Z scale for a short time, however, I m very interested in it now! I
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2003
          Hi All,
          I've been lurking for a while. I live in Toronto. I've
          only been interested in Z scale for a short time,
          however, I'm very interested in it now! I recently
          went on a trek through the mountains of BC stopping at
          the road side every few kms admiring the train scenery
          (and amusing my wife who is very supportive). Although
          my primary interest is to model CP, I'm looking for
          any z-scalers in the Toronto area. I'm currently
          planning my first layout - a 2x4 foot from 101 track
          plans. I have a dreams of a Z-Bend module at some
          point too (and perhaps a Toronto Z Club). I'm not sure
          how these kinds of contacts are usually made, if it's
          appropriate to reply to me on the list then go for it
          - if not, I'd like to hear from you at
          dastoyles@...
          Cheers everyone, keep up the good work!
          Dave

          P.S. I love Z-Scale Magazine, I just got a few back
          issues in the mail, and am looking forward to the
          arrival of the next issue.

          ______________________________________________________________________
          Post your free ad now! http://personals.yahoo.ca
        • Reynard Wellman
          Hello Ron, Your second batch of Scratch shipped out on Thursday and I was curious as to what exactly you were building. Well, I went to the
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2003
            Hello Ron,

            Your second batch of Scratch shipped out on Thursday
            and I was curious as to what exactly you were building.
            Well, I went to the http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/z_scale/
            and found your photos. I am very pleased with the results!

            This is what I had intended all along: a way to use materials
            wether brass, styrene, balsa wood, paper, etc to create very
            authentic, enjoyable structures and accessories for Z scale.

            You have really done an excellent modeling job. Not only is
            there preciseness in execution, there is a great deal of architectural
            charm in the design.

            I hope that others will take a look at the various kits and Scratch
            materials Ron has so aptly used to create these authentic looking
            mid-twentieth century factories. I would even send diorama photos
            to Model Railroader for the photo contest once you have mastered
            your photographic skills. You already have the modeling skills.

            Best regards and thanks for sharing your structures with us.

            Reynard
            On Sunday, February 2, 2003, at 07:43 PM, Ron Ratliff wrote:

            > Bill K. wrote:
            > >It was absolutely delightful to see several Z_Scale list members turn
            > up at >GATS last weekend, run trains and even bring their latest
            > masterpieces in
            > >modeling along with them. (Strong Hint:  A certain person urgently
            > needs to
            > >post photos of their museum quality buildings he made with Scratch and
            > >styrene). 
            >
            > Well, at the risk of losing my professional lurker status ;-) I have to
            > thank Bill for his kind words.  I'm not sure I would call these two
            > buildings "museum quality", but admittedly I was rather happy with the
            > way these first attempts at scratch building turned out.
            >
            > One of the first things I noticed after getting into Z was the lack of
            > American style industrial buildings.  I tried several ideas for doing a
            > brick curtain building, but was never satisfied with the bricks, the
            > doors or the windows.  All that changed when Reynard introduced his
            > Z-Scratch. I've got to tell you, I was like a little kid at Christmas
            > waiting for that first delivery of Z-Scratch.  Thanks, Reynard, you
            > made
            > this old dude feel young again!  Anyway, once I had Reynard's highly
            > detailed brick, doors and windows, I added them to the styrene walls I
            > had previously worked out and finally got the building I had been
            > trying
            > to do all along.  These windows were actually made from the Z-Scratch
            > 1/16" mesh but I think the new windows meant for the Pennzee buildings
            > will make this building look better.
            >
            > Since I had already built most of the Micro Structures downtown
            > building, I was thinking about buying more of those buildings and
            > trying
            > to kitbash them into something different.  Once again it was Reynard to
            > the rescue!  The downtown building was inspired by some of the
            > buildings
            > I had found in San Angelo, Tx. when I was there over Christmas.
            >
            > I've uploaded a couple of pictures of each building to the Photos
            > section in a folder named Ron's Buildings. I'm working on several more
            > and will upload pictures when they are completed ... and I've learned
            > more about using this new camera.
            >
            > Ron Ratliff
            > Richmond, Tx.
            >
            >
            >
            > "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE!  Highly addictive in Small
            > DoseZ!
            >
            >
            > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • Reynard Wellman
            Hello David, A 2x4 foot layout will give you plenty of fun. That was the size of my first Z scale layout as well. But now I m reaching for broader curves in
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2003
              Hello David,

              A 2x4 foot layout will give you plenty of fun. That was the
              size of my first Z scale layout as well. But now I'm reaching
              for broader curves in a wider layout and hoping that AZL
              (American Z Lines) will release the Southern Pacific GS4
              Daylight locomotive soon so that I can run my long collection
              of SP Daylight coaches behind it. Why Marklin went to all
              the trouble and expense of making these beautiful cars and
              then never followed through with one of the crowning glories
              of the US steam era, the SP GS4, I'll never know. Surely they
              would have sold every one they made.

              I suspect that they found that those four big driver wheels on
              the GS4 were not compatible with their briefcase radius
              track and turnouts. Derailments would have been a big
              embarrassment to them and could have driven enthusiasts
              to the doorsteps of competitive manufacturers. Well, it's
              happening anyway.

              Welcome to the group.
              Regards,
              Reynard


              On Sunday, February 2, 2003, at 10:20 PM, David Stoyles wrote:

              > Hi All,
              > I've been lurking for a while. I live in Toronto. I've
              > only been interested in Z scale for a short time,
              > however, I'm very interested in it now! I recently
              > went on a trek through the mountains of BC stopping at
              > the road side every few kms admiring the train scenery
              > (and amusing my wife who is very supportive). Although
              > my primary interest is to model CP,  I'm looking for
              > any z-scalers in the Toronto area. I'm currently
              > planning my first layout - a 2x4 foot from 101 track
              > plans. I have a dreams of a Z-Bend module at some
              > point too (and perhaps a Toronto Z Club). I'm not sure
              > how these kinds of contacts are usually made, if it's
              > appropriate to reply to me on the list then go for it
              > - if not, I'd like to hear from you at
              > dastoyles@...
              > Cheers everyone, keep up the good work!
              > Dave
              >
              > P.S. I love Z-Scale Magazine, I just got a few back
              > issues in the mail, and am looking forward to the
              > arrival of the next issue.
              >
              > ______________________________________________________________________
              > Post your free ad now! http://personals.yahoo.ca
              >
              > "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE!  Highly addictive in Small
              > DoseZ!
              >
              >
              > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.