Re: [z_scale] Zm Info...

  • Helmut Paule
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
      Hallo Reynard,

      The Track gauge is 4.5 mm = 0.177165433 inches
      There are some Zm listings :
      http://home.datacomm.ch/zettsiite/SuravaZm.htm
      also if you are interested, there are Zm Infos 1 - 6
      in English from FR Germany, I can Email You.

      "Zm Greetings, Helmut

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2003
        I'm really novice here...I am only trying to collect info at this point
        after seeing some z-scale at train show here in Louisville. The size is
        close to micro armor (1:285) which I am using also. Is this Zm then
        considered a diferent scale totally? What is the scale?

        thanks,

        =B-) Herb Lane
        Ceridian
        **God Bless America!**
      • Maksim-Smelchak
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2003
          Herb,

          Z-scale is 1/220 and microarmor are anywhere between "stated" 1/285 and
          1/300. In actuality, many microarmor manufacturers make miniatures that are
          much closer to 1/285 than 1/220 and vice-versa with Z-manufacturers. I
          advise looking at a product if possible before buying it. Many have used
          microarmor loads before for flat cars.

          Best regards and Shalom,
          Maksim-Smelchak.

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 5, 2003
            Hello Herb,
            Zm is 1/220 scale narrow gauge. The only difference is the
            distance between the rails. It is narrower to work in mountains,
            forests or difficult terrain where costs are a big concern.

            Gauge= The standardized distance between the rails.
            Scale= The proportion which the representation of an
            object bears to the other.

            I would not recommend 1/285 scale to represent 1/220 scale
            but anyone can do with their items what they want.

            Regards,
            Reynard

          • ztrack@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 5, 2003
              The September/October 2001 issue of Ztrack Magazine ran a very detailed
              article by John Bartolotto comparing 1:285 to 1:220 and even to 1:200. The
              article included information on Micro-Armour including photos with Märklin
              train cars. Overall, 1:200 is a much better match for 1:220. Manufacturers
              like Skytrek (www.skytrek.com) offers military vehicles in 1:200.

              By the way, I found myself in Z scale by hoping to use 1:285 military
              vehicles with German trains. The trains really grabbed my focus and
              attention. I really never looked back...

              Rob Kluz

              Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
              6142 Northcliff Blvd.
              Dublin, OH 43016