Need Info: Märklin set #8101

  • beavis6664 <beavis281@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2003
      Hi, newbie here. Not new to model railroading, but new to Z scale,
      because HO is way too big for my college dorm.

      I purchased this set #8101 off of Ebay about a week ago, and I know
      almost nothing about it. I know the engine is different than most
      other Märklin class 111 electric locomotives, because it has
      white/red directional lights in one end of the locomotive, and also
      red/white lights in the tail car. I had read somewhere on the
      internet that the set was produced in the early 80s (which I don't
      doubt because the box has lots of shelf wear, and the locomotive
      didn't run very well til I cleaned it out and oiled it), but that is
      all I know about it. If anyone has any information about what I just
      purchased it would be very much appreciated.

      Jordon LaGrone
    • Christer Holm <cvf828j@tninet.se>
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2003
        Hi Jordon LaGrone

        The Trainset 8101 was made in 5 years between 1978- 1982 and include

        One Electric Express Locomotive Type BR 111 of the German Federal
        Railroad (DB).
        One Commuter Car Type Bnb 719 second class of the German Federal
        Railroad (DB).
        One Commuter Car Type ABnrzb 704 first and second class of the German
        Federal Railroad (DB).
        One Commuter Car with Baggage Compartment and Engineer's Cab Type
        BDnf 735 second class
        of the German Federal Railroad (DB).

        Hope this help

        Christer Holm, Sweden

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "beavis6664 <beavis281@h...>"

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2003
          Chester, thanks for the information, I was trying to figure out what
          prototype it was. What about scarcity? Is 5 years a long production
          run for an item? Also, being so old is it rare or is it a fairly
          common item for its age? I managed to get it for 100 bucks off of
          ebay and was wondering if I got a good deal on it?
          Thanks,
          Jordon

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Christer Holm <cvf828j@t...>"