Re: [z_scale] Ready or not, a new Z web site

  • bjkronen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2000
      John:

      > I took a tour of your Web page and it is great.
      > One thing I missed though was your standard for
      > connecting the modules electrically.
      > Do you just rely on the track connections or do
      > you run a power buss around the layout?

      That's the next section to go up. Briefly, we use DB25 connectors (just like
      the one on your computer's parallel port). These pins are rated at 3 to 7
      amps (depending on how much you spend on the connector) and we triple them up
      for each circuit. We never, never depend on the "bridge" tracks or their
      rail joiners to carry current between modules.

      We wanted something that would have sufficient current capacity to feed track
      up to 100 feet (30m) from the power source without a voltage drop, when the
      group's modules are all set up in a show.

      With almost 33 feet of modules in existence now, its proven out to have been
      a good decision. Inexpensive, too (2 connectors for a $1usd). As you will
      see shortly, you can "block" the layout at setup time into electrical
      divisions for "operations" by multiple operators/throttles without modifying
      anything.

      The related N scale web site "Bend Track" (hot link) has very usable
      information on module building, legs, and concept pictures. Those ideas are
      valid in both scales.

      We have no pride at all. We steal great ideas anytime we find them. But
      their electrical concepts were made to be compatible with N-Trak modules, a
      legacy we did not have to observe.

      Mind you, these modules do not spend their lives in garages, attics and
      closets outside of public shows. These ARE our home modules that double as
      traveling modules.

      I'll have some time next Sunday to add more to the web site. I'll drop the
      list a note when notable additions become available.

      Don't laugh, I've got keyboard in one hand, and the book "HTML for Dummies"
      in the other hand. Talk about a raw beginner at web pages. And with the
      differences in Netscape, IE and AOL browsers - Aaaaaaargh. Building modules
      is easier.

      Regards,
      Bill Kronenberger
      Trainmaster, Z Scale Division, NWX