Re: About 8993 / Double-pole reverse switch and 0292a?

  • Jeremy Brandon <Jeremy.Brandon@t-online.
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2003
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "zoooctan" <zoooctan@y...> wrote:
      > I intend to include (one of) a single line consisting of a train
      that just travels on
      > a single line, reaches the end and then returns i.e. reverses
      (without a loop).

      Here is a product I have used which works very well. Look at the 5214
      Shuttle module from Viessmann:

      http://www.reynaulds.com/viessmann/elec.asp

      I recommend it. Jeremy
    • Stuart Firth
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 6, 2003
        I actually have one of these (with translation), so it seems that the
        next thing to do is to scan it and make it available to whoever needs
        it. This may not happen in a hurry as I don't have a scanner, but I will
        figure something out.

        Regards,

        Stuart

        Stuart Firth
        Home +61 (0) 2 9719-1499
        Mobile +61 (0) 416 258880
        Office +61 (0) 2 9963-4453
        Fax +61 (0) 2 9181-5932
      • Lajos Thek <olaj@dslextreme.com>
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 6, 2003
          <zoooctan@y...> wrote:
          > I intend to include (one of) a single line consisting of a train
          >that just travels on a single line, reaches the end and then
          >returns i.e. reverses (without a loop).

          The perfect solution is here from ZThek (ZThekTronics), a small,
          (2 1/8" x 2 1/8") auto reversing circuit with timer (actually two
          timers). http://www.pixhost.com/pixz/z_thek/reverse.jpg
          The train stops at the ends, waits, than returns. The time of waiting
          is adjustable, and can be different at the two end stations. It hooks
          up directly to the Mini-club transformer, and only one!!! pair of
          wire connects to the track. No reed or contact (switch) track needed.
          The price is less than the suggested retail price of Marklin's 8947.
          Contact: Olaj@...

          Lajos
          http://www.Lthek.com
        • zoooctan <zoooctan@yahoo.com.sg>
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 6, 2003
            Thank you for the advice Jeremy. Could you tell me if the device
            will work for multiple (single lines and stations) or do I need one
            for each?

            Thanks
            Gavin
          • Jeremy Brandon <Jeremy.Brandon@t-online.
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 6, 2003
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "zoooctan" <zoooctan@y...> wrote:
              > Could you tell me if the device will work for multiple
              > (single lines and stations) or do I need one for each?

              The Viessmann 5214 works on a single line with a station at each end.
              The train starts at one end, accelerates to a preset maximum speed,
              decelerates when it reaches the other end, and stops; it waits a
              preset time, then repeats the process in the other direction. The
              adjustable presets are: acceleration/deceleration, maximum speed, and
              waiting time at each of the two ends. I recommend it because it is so
              easy to set up and is self-contained. The maximum voltage to the
              track depends on the maximum speed setting, so it is safe for Z
              motors whatever voltage it is running off. I think it will work from
              the 10V AC output from a Märklin controller but I have not tried that.

              Here is a wiring diagram and description in German (!):

              http://www.viessmann-modell.de/anleitung/5214%201.htm

              You will see that it requires two isolation gaps (Trennstelle), one
              at each end, strangely on opposite sides of the track. It can also
              control two color-light signals (labelled as 4011). It will run
              continuously, or can be wired with "start" pushbuttons.

              A much more complicated alternative is available from Heathcote
              Electronics in England (who has a US distributor). Look here if you
              are interested:

              http://www.heathcote-electronics.co.uk/page18.htm

              Hope this helps. Jeremy.
            • rohirrim98236 <rohirrim@whidbey.com>
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 7, 2003
                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "zoooctan <zoooctan@y...>" <zoooctan@y...> wrote:

                > <snips>
                > On a totally separate topic, I've seen, heard...legends of the great Marklin
                > track plan book in English aka 0292a ... could someone kindly upload it
                > somewhere where the rest of the z-scalers in the world could have a look at it
                >
                > Gavin

                Just want to point out to anyone considering posting copyrighted materials
                on the web that this is a violation of both USA and international copyright
                law. We are permitted to make a copy of materials we have purchased for
                our own personal use, but the distribution -- even without charges -- is another
                mater completely. So, .. think before acting. After all, this is an open forum,
                and one doesn't know who might be reading any particular post.

                Sorry, the book isn't more widely available, but ...

                ELF
              • Randy Smidt
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 7, 2003
                  I think the book may have been re-released. I some what looked like a new copy of it at the Emmaus Z-meet back in November.

                  Randy Smidt