Re: [z_scale] About 8993 / Double-pole reverse switch and 0292a?

  • zbendtrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2003
      Gavin and Manfred:

      > Gavin,
      > Why don't you look around for one of those electronic reversing kits or
      > compleated board. <snip> They should be available at train stores.

      "Available" applies to those of us who live on "this side" of planet earth.
      Gavin lives on the "other" side of the planet earth where train stores are
      8,000 miles apart. <smile>

      An example of what Manfred is talking about is shown at:

      http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/800-5401

      It doesn't rip the motor out because the train actually stops (for a
      programmable time) before it reverses. Helmut is correct -- reversing
      directions "at speed" is not a good idea. Nor does it look very prototypical
      either.

      If you shop around the web, I'd expect you can cut the indicated price almost
      in half.

      If you are into building your own circuit from parts, there is a website that
      shows how to build one that slows the train down in stages before it stops,
      and slowly restarts it in stages going the other way. It isn't complex, but
      its not for beginners in "do-it-yourself" electronics either. Let me know if
      you are interested in that one (or anyone else).

      Hope this helps,
      Bill K.
      Houston

    • Jeremy Brandon <Jeremy.Brandon@t-online.
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 6, 2003
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "zoooctan" <zoooctan@y...> wrote:
        > I intend to include (one of) a single line consisting of a train
        that just travels on
        > a single line, reaches the end and then returns i.e. reverses
        (without a loop).

        Here is a product I have used which works very well. Look at the 5214
        Shuttle module from Viessmann:

        http://www.reynaulds.com/viessmann/elec.asp

        I recommend it. Jeremy
      • Stuart Firth
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 6, 2003
          I actually have one of these (with translation), so it seems that the
          next thing to do is to scan it and make it available to whoever needs
          it. This may not happen in a hurry as I don't have a scanner, but I will
          figure something out.

          Regards,

          Stuart

          Stuart Firth
          Home +61 (0) 2 9719-1499
          Mobile +61 (0) 416 258880
          Office +61 (0) 2 9963-4453
          Fax +61 (0) 2 9181-5932
        • Lajos Thek <olaj@dslextreme.com>
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 6, 2003
            <zoooctan@y...> wrote:
            > I intend to include (one of) a single line consisting of a train
            >that just travels on a single line, reaches the end and then
            >returns i.e. reverses (without a loop).

            The perfect solution is here from ZThek (ZThekTronics), a small,
            (2 1/8" x 2 1/8") auto reversing circuit with timer (actually two
            timers). http://www.pixhost.com/pixz/z_thek/reverse.jpg
            The train stops at the ends, waits, than returns. The time of waiting
            is adjustable, and can be different at the two end stations. It hooks
            up directly to the Mini-club transformer, and only one!!! pair of
            wire connects to the track. No reed or contact (switch) track needed.
            The price is less than the suggested retail price of Marklin's 8947.
            Contact: Olaj@...

            Lajos
            http://www.Lthek.com
          • zoooctan <zoooctan@yahoo.com.sg>
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 6, 2003
              Thank you for the advice Jeremy. Could you tell me if the device
              will work for multiple (single lines and stations) or do I need one
              for each?

              Thanks
              Gavin
            • Jeremy Brandon <Jeremy.Brandon@t-online.
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 6, 2003
                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "zoooctan" <zoooctan@y...> wrote:
                > Could you tell me if the device will work for multiple
                > (single lines and stations) or do I need one for each?

                The Viessmann 5214 works on a single line with a station at each end.
                The train starts at one end, accelerates to a preset maximum speed,
                decelerates when it reaches the other end, and stops; it waits a
                preset time, then repeats the process in the other direction. The
                adjustable presets are: acceleration/deceleration, maximum speed, and
                waiting time at each of the two ends. I recommend it because it is so
                easy to set up and is self-contained. The maximum voltage to the
                track depends on the maximum speed setting, so it is safe for Z
                motors whatever voltage it is running off. I think it will work from
                the 10V AC output from a Märklin controller but I have not tried that.

                Here is a wiring diagram and description in German (!):

                http://www.viessmann-modell.de/anleitung/5214%201.htm

                You will see that it requires two isolation gaps (Trennstelle), one
                at each end, strangely on opposite sides of the track. It can also
                control two color-light signals (labelled as 4011). It will run
                continuously, or can be wired with "start" pushbuttons.

                A much more complicated alternative is available from Heathcote
                Electronics in England (who has a US distributor). Look here if you
                are interested:

                http://www.heathcote-electronics.co.uk/page18.htm

                Hope this helps. Jeremy.
              • rohirrim98236 <rohirrim@whidbey.com>
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 7, 2003
                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "zoooctan <zoooctan@y...>" <zoooctan@y...> wrote:

                  > <snips>
                  > On a totally separate topic, I've seen, heard...legends of the great Marklin
                  > track plan book in English aka 0292a ... could someone kindly upload it
                  > somewhere where the rest of the z-scalers in the world could have a look at it
                  >
                  > Gavin

                  Just want to point out to anyone considering posting copyrighted materials
                  on the web that this is a violation of both USA and international copyright
                  law. We are permitted to make a copy of materials we have purchased for
                  our own personal use, but the distribution -- even without charges -- is another
                  mater completely. So, .. think before acting. After all, this is an open forum,
                  and one doesn't know who might be reading any particular post.

                  Sorry, the book isn't more widely available, but ...

                  ELF
                • Randy Smidt
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 7, 2003
                    I think the book may have been re-released. I some what looked like a new copy of it at the Emmaus Z-meet back in November.

                    Randy Smidt