2002 - A "Z" Year in Review

  • Jeffrey MacHan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2003
      2002 - A "Z" Year in Review

      Happy New Year, everyone!

      Once again, it's been a remarkable year for "Z" scale.
      Here is a short review of some of the more notable
      events that marked North American "Z" scale modeling
      in 2002.

      Note: this is from memory so please feel free to post
      info to fill in the gaps.

      *****New products:

      - Micro-Trains Line continued to supply high quality Z
      rolling stock every month. Although no new products
      were introduced (AFAIK) MTL did place a complete
      database of their Z car production on their website
      (www.micro-trains.com)
      - Bob Olson of Pennzee continued to astound the Z
      world with a second line of steel-sided reefers.
      - Reynard Wellman at Micron-Art introduced the highly
      anticipated "Scratch" line of Z scratch-building
      detail parts, wall, roofs, etc.
      (www.micronart.com)
      - M�rklin continued to deliver new runs of their US
      streamline passenger cars (www.marklin.com)
      - American Z Lines introduced their state-of-the-art
      brass E8s (www.ztrack.com)
      - FR Models introduced an exquisite DZeh 2/4 rack
      locomotive (www.fr-models.com)
      - Peter Wright introduced a M�rklin replacement
      turnout with live-frog construction.
      - Father Nature Trees announced the availability of a
      billboard reefer series manuvactured by Bowser Inc.
      - Zthek began deliveries of a fine series of VW buses
      and emergency vehicles.

      Several manufacturers who had new products in 2001
      were noticeably absent in 2002: Blair Line, Microfigs,
      Miller Engineering. Hopefully they'll be back with a
      vengeance in 2003.

      *****Notable Events:

      February: Terry Sufin wins "Best of Show" with his
      Poorville & Debt City layout at the Northwest Hobby
      Model Expo in Portland, OR.

      March: Jeffrey MacHan's "Val Ease Central RR" became
      the first NA layout to participate in Faszination
      Modellbau, Sinsheim, Germany. At the same show, Jens
      Wimmel won first place for his Z-scale "Blummendorf"
      layout that also was 100% digital.

      July: Reynard Wellman of Micron Art became the first
      recipient of the Z_Scale / Ztrack "Best New Product
      Award" for his 1888 Capital City Station kit.

      July: Clubs from Houston, Dallas and Washington, DC
      participating at the NMRA National Train Show in Ft.
      Lauderdale, FL, combined their modules to establish a
      new world record for continuous running main line in Z
      (14 scale miles).

      Also at NTS2002, David George of Spring, TX, took home
      3 prizes in the module competion. His
      "Golden-Blackhawk & Central City RR" took 2nd and 3rd
      place in the individual module category as well as the
      PIZZAZ Award provided by IHC.

      In total, 5 individual Z layouts were in operation at
      NTS2002 where a public numbering around 24,000 had a
      chance to see our tiny trains and talk with our Z
      Ambassadors.

      November: The annual "Z" scale mini-meet was held in
      November in Emmaus, PA with several veteran "Z"
      enthusiasts in attendance.

      November: The first public outing of the Pacific
      Northwest Z Scalers was a great success. The gang put
      on a show for the 30,000+ visitors at the Seattle
      Science Center.

      *****National Press Coverage for "Z" scale

      After several years of lobbying efforts by Jeffrey
      MacHan, the NMRA agreed to publish a regular Z column
      in it's flagship publication "The Bulletin", with a
      monthy circulation of 25,000.

      The first "Z-Scale Rails" column appeared in the
      October 2002 issue. The inaugeral column announced
      the new world-record established by the members of the
      Houston, Dallas and DC modular groups at NTS2002 in
      Ft. Lauderdale.

      The second column ran in the November 2002 issue and
      reported on the trip to Germany by Jeffrey MacHan and
      Terry Sutfin to run the VECRR at Fascination
      Modellbau.

      Future "Z-Scale Rail" columns are scheduled to appear
      quarterly.
      ____

      Ztrack Magazine continued to provide excellent
      material in 2002. The number of new authors is
      impressive. Congratulations to Rob Kluz
      for his outstanding efforts to produce a publication
      no "Z" scale modeler should be without.
      (www.ztrack.com)

      *****The State of Z_Scale Forum (779 members as of
      January 1, 2003)

      Started in June 1999, Z_Scale is the world's largest
      English language "Z" modelling community and is a
      recognized Special Interest Group of the National
      Model Railroad Association NMRA.

      Z_Scale Ambassadors are recognized for promoting "Z"
      scale model railroading intheir communities at train
      shows, at the office, in the press and on the Web.

      The "Z Ambassador" designation on Z_Scale reached new
      heights with at total of 40 ambassadors so far in the
      2002-2003 season. This compares very favorably with
      the 27 ambassadors registered in 2001-2002. Keep up
      the good work!

      2002 saw an unprecedented number of public appearances
      of layouts, modules and Z related information at train
      shows, hobby events, charitable activities and
      "offices" around North America.

      ******Final thought

      I would like to personally thank all those whose
      efforts have helped to get the message out and who
      take the time to welcome the hundreds of new members
      who have joined us in the past year. We're on a roll,
      let's keep it going!

      Respectfully submitted,

      Jeffrey R. MacHan
      Chief Imagineer
      Val Ease Central RR:
      http://www.Val-Ease-Central.com
      Z scale SIG Coordinator & Moderator:

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2003
        Jeffrey,

        Thank you for the great reminder of what a wonderful year for Z scale 2002
        turned out to be. For me, it was a blur. When you are always working months
        ahead (producing Ztrack in my case) you tend to miss what has happened prior.

        I can report that Z scale is growing, and growing quickly. Many dealers
        reported record sales of Z scale in 2002. You can see it with the number of
        new members to the list and new subscribers to Ztrack. I have no doubt that
        2003 will be another wonderful year, filled with new products and
        manufacturers to grace our collections and layouts.

        I would like to take a moment and thank all those who have been working to
        promote our niche of the hobby. From the enthusiast willing to take a few
        moments and answer questions to the operators at the shows, you all make a
        difference. Without all of your efforts, our hobby would be much different.
        Also, a special thank you to Jeffrey for Moderating the online forum. What a
        great communications tool to share knowledge and answer questions.

        Happy New Year everyone!
        Rob Kluz

        Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
        Dublin, OH 43016
        Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
        www.ztrack.com

      • Reynard Wellman
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
          Hello Rob and Jeffrey,

          Indeed, this has been a banner year for Z scale sales!
          I can report that this Christmas our Z scale orders
          outstripped all other scale products that we offer (partially due
          to the fact that we have been releasing far more new Z scale
          products than N or HO).

          And there is more! Next week we are shipping to Bob Olson
          a new version of "Scratch!" products designed specifically
          for the PennZee Quickits 200 Series. I will send another email
          that details exactly what we are about to offer but rest assured
          that in addition to PennZee Detail kits, we have many new
          items scheduled for release this Winter.

          And many new dealers and hobby shops are
          finally getting the message about Z scale. Z scale has
          all the charm without taking up all the space and
          model railroaders are beginning to recognize this.

          I wish to extend my thanks to Jeffrey MacHan and Rob Kluz
          for doing an excellent job of promoting Z scale, keeping the
          list "on track" and for good natured commentary during the
          past few years. Keep it up! Your efforts are proving successful.

          Best regards to all,
          Reynard

          On Wednesday, January 1, 2003, at 05:18 PM, ztrack@... wrote:

          > Jeffrey,
          >
          > SNIP
          >
          > I can report that Z scale is growing, and growing quickly. Many dealers
          > reported record sales of Z scale in 2002. You can see it with the
          > number of
          > new members to the list and new subscribers to Ztrack. I have no doubt
          > that
          > 2003 will be another wonderful year, filled with new products and
          > manufacturers to grace our collections and layouts.
          > SNIP
          >
          > Happy New Year everyone!
          > Rob Kluz
          >
          > Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
          > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
          > Dublin, OH 43016
          > Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
          > www.ztrack.com

          <image.tiff>

          > "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE!  Highly addictive in Small
          > DoseZ!

        • David George
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
            Reynard,
            I'll need to see your Pennzee add-on scratch items ASAP.
            I want to complete the detailing of my Pennzee city ( Zeopolis)and as I have each city block, in modular form for detailing purposes,I want to permanently glue them down soon. They are being nicked and "bruised" by being moved around in my work room. I think damage will be abated by attaching them finally to the street grid on the module.
            David G.
            G~B&CCRR
            Reynard Wellman <micron@...> wrote:Hello Rob and Jeffrey,

            Indeed, this has been a banner year for Z scale sales!
            I can report that this Christmas our Z scale orders
            outstripped all other scale products that we offer (partially due
            to the fact that we have been releasing far more new Z scale
            products than N or HO).

            And there is more! Next week we are shipping to Bob Olson
            a new version of "Scratch!" products designed specifically
            for the PennZee Quickits 200 Series. I will send another email
            that details exactly what we are about to offer but rest assured
            that in addition to PennZee Detail kits, we have many new
            items scheduled for release this Winter.

            And many new dealers and hobby shops are
            finally getting the message about Z scale. Z scale has
            all the charm without taking up all the space and
            model railroaders are beginning to recognize this.

            I wish to extend my thanks to Jeffrey MacHan and Rob Kluz
            for doing an excellent job of promoting Z scale, keeping the
            list "on track" and for good natured commentary during the
            past few years. Keep it up! Your efforts are proving successful.

            Best regards to all,
            Reynard

            On Wednesday, January 1, 2003, at 05:18 PM, ztrack@... wrote:

            > Jeffrey,
            >
            > SNIP
            >
            > I can report that Z scale is growing, and growing quickly. Many dealers
            > reported record sales of Z scale in 2002. You can see it with the
            > number of
            > new members to the list and new subscribers to Ztrack. I have no doubt
            > that
            > 2003 will be another wonderful year, filled with new products and
            > manufacturers to grace our collections and layouts.
            > SNIP
            >
            > Happy New Year everyone!
            > Rob Kluz
            >
            > Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
            > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
            > Dublin, OH 43016
            > Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
            > www.ztrack.com

            <image.tiff>

            > DoseZ!

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Reynard Wellman
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 3, 2003
              Hello David,

              The new PennZee Quickit Brass Scratch Details are
              arriving with the Archimedean Ground Throw shipment.
              The majority of these frets are going to Bob Olson of
              PennZee who has contracted the job and will be the
              major supplier. Together I think we did an outstanding job.
              Now these easy to build structures will look as
              good as any full brass model yet can be put together in
              half the time. Micron Art will only have a few of these kits but
              PennZee Products Inc., (717) 540-8853, will have
              plenty of them. Contact PennZee Products first.

              I'll post more pictures on our homepage and additional
              links once I have the time. Meanwhile, please be
              careful with those QUICKIT structures, because they are going
              to look fantastic once you have detailed them!

              Thanks again for your enthusiastic support!

              Reynard
              http://www.micronart.com/