Re: inaccurate sizes

  • rohirrim98236 <rohirrim@whidbey.com>
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2003
      > What other products (by any manufacturer) are sold as z scale
      and yet are not 1:220?

      May I add another thought to the very helpful information
      which has already been posted?

      You can also consider using paper buildings. These offer the
      advantage of being able to resize (especially smaller) using a
      color photocopier in your neighborhood.

      As an example, I purchased a castle model which is labeled
      as 1:300. (Having been at the castle in Germany, I think that is
      an accurate assesment.) But it was a) still too large for the area
      in which I want to locate it, and b) the old architecture has very
      large windows and doors in comparison to the human being.

      I photoreduced it to 75% of the printed size and have a project
      which a) fits the space I have envisioned/planned and b) still
      looks good with Z scale figures next to it.

      this can be a viable option if you find N scale (or even HO) card
      stock buildings of interest to you. You will have to be aware that
      many color photocopiers create a glossy ink surface. But some
      weathering or even colored pencil shading can make a world of
      difference. Card stock building also tend to look 2 dimensional,
      but this can be overcome by the use of additional detail elements
      which create texture and surface variation. You also have the
      advantage of being able to re-photocopy a page if you :"mess up"
      during cut out or construction!

      Welcome aboard. and enjoy.

      ELF
    • dpstripe@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2003
        In a message dated 1/1/03 12:45:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        rohirrim@... writes:

        > You can also consider using paper buildings. These offer the
        > advantage of being able to resize (especially smaller) using a
        > color photocopier in your neighborhood.

        I have done the same thing, but I just scan them in, then resize them by
        trial and error to the right size. After the size is right, I print them on
        high resolution matt finish paper and glue them to card stock. I have tried
        printing them on sticker stock, but haven't had much luck.
        Dan

      • Joe Brum
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2003
          Hi all. I have an Epson Stylus Color 880 and print directly on card stock.
          Regards, Joe