Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: turntable

  • David George
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2002
      David George <dlgeorgesr@...> wrote:Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 11:56:27 -0800 (PST)
      From: David George
      Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: turntable
      To: Jeremy Brandon
      CC: hpaule@...

      You were correct about track projecting too far from the outside edge. Interestingly, there were TWO faulty rails exactly opposite each other. I gently nipped them with my xuron rail cutter and filed smooth.Turntable works well and stops accurately at each rail station.
      I have not added the 15ohm resistors yet.
      I neede to get this unit operational because of my audience's demands. Many children ,at train shows, would look at me in dismay when I said "I don't have the round house and turntable hooked up for the show". You could just here them-with there eyes and actions- muttering " Why,not?,,what's wrong with that guy?"
      Thank you very much for all your advice and help.
      David G.
      Golden~Blackhawk&Central CityR.R.
      Jeremy Brandon <Jeremy.Brandon@...> wrote: David George schrieb:
      > The TTble is running BUT ,,its very noisy ...

      It is noisy and there is not much you can do about it except run it slower. The
      (blue) wire with the green plug already has a 15 ohm resistor in it inside the
      control box. You could try adding more resistance, perhaps another 15 ohms, by
      fitting a suitable resistor with a little plug at one end and a socket at the
      other, and then connecting it between the green plug and green socket.

      > ... and more worrisome,,,it only
      > swings thru a 180dgr arc. It gets stuck at the same point.On reverse , it
      > stops at same point. there are no visible obstructions to account for
      > this.Do you have any suggestions? Can the track table be dis-assembled?

      If it only moves 180 degrees, then something on the edge of the turntable well
      is engaging with either end of the rotor. My guess is that one of the short
      track pieces round the well is faulty: it will be the piece at one or the other
      end of the rotor where it stops. Check each of these pieces. Is it not fully
      home? Has one of its rails moved slightly inwards? Is there a bit of flash on
      the plastic moulding? The obstruction will be catching on one or other of the
      four metal wipers on the rotor: there is one wiper at each end of each rail.
      These wipers are very fragile. If one is broken off, the turntable needs radical
      redesign to make it useable, so be very careful.

      Hope this helps. Jeremy.