Vacation is over, back to Z!

  • Jeffrey MacHan
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 5, 1999
      Hello one and all and welcome to our new members.

      Well my vacation is over, 9165 km and 3 weeks later. My how time flies as
      the addage goes.

      I see that the group has continued to grow, we now have 59 members and, I
      hope a 60th in a short while. The group is now 1 month old and we have
      gotten off to a great start. Thanks to you, of course.

      I would like to gently encourage the 51 members of the group who have not
      introduced themselves to send us a few words so that we can put a face
      (alphabetically speaking that is) to the names of the membership.

      Don't forget to consult the shared files section of the z_scale forum on
      Onelist.com. I would like to build the shared files to include links to
      member web sites and offer help files covering the shared experiences of the
      membership. (I noticed that our fine colleague, Bill Kronenberger, has
      contributed to the rec.models.railroad newsgroup. I suspect that we have
      only scratched the surface of his expertise. I would also invite Bill to
      copy his latest NG message to the z_scale list for all to share. Thanks
      Bill.)

      Upcoming:

      My following posts will summarize the results of our first survey which I
      will also post to the shared files. Please feel free to continue to reply
      to the survey via the group. I will update the file regularly to reflect
      the group's responses.

      News from the National Train Show, July 23-25, 1999 at RiverCentre, Saint
      Paul, Minnesota...stay tuned for a multi-part posting bringing you my
      discoveries and experiences of my first National Train Show.

      Don't forget to tell your friendly fellow Z scalers about this group.
      Though few in number we may be, great is our following. (I'll explain later
      so stay tuned!)

      Best summer wishes to all,
      Jeffrey of the www.Val-Ease-Central.com
    • Anders Lattermann
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 6, 1999
        > I would like to gently encourage the 51 members of the group who have not
        > introduced themselves to send us a few words so that we can put a face
        > (alphabetically speaking that is) to the names of the membership.

        Hallo!

        My name is Anders Lattermann. I live in Stockholm (Sweden).

        One of my hobbies is modelrailroads in Z-scale.

        I started in this hobby in february 1998 after my fiance asked me if we
        should have a car racing track at home to play with. I said: "or a
        modellrailway?". She said yes, so...

        Since space was a problem, we lived at the time on 41 square meters Z-scale
        was choosen.

        More about my Z-scale interrest, som track plans and more are up on my site:
        http://www.lattermann.com/amaZing/

        Best regards from a rainy Stockholm!
        /Anders
      • Juan Carlos Furnari
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 6, 1999
          Hola!
          My name is Juan Carlos Furnari. I live in Banfield, a town near Buenos Aires,
          Argentina.
          I started with modelrailroad in z-scale in 1995 and I am member of Z-club-92
          since 1997. The z-enthusiasts in Argentina are very scarce (only me?).
          Modelrailroad is here an extended hobby, but in scale N and HO. I bought almost
          my collection direct in Germany, where I have goods friends and had the
          opportunity to go many times.
          At the moment I am only collector, but I have plans and a lot of tracks and
          other items to construct a layout.
          My connection with z-world are Z-club-92, Zlist and, Z_scale.
          Muchos saludos a todos!
          Juan Carlos

          Jeffrey MacHan escribi�:

        • Lindy9113@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 6, 1999
            Mi nombre es David. Vivo en Kansas. Modelo prototipos americanos en escala de
            Z. Tengo gusto de productos micro de los trenes pero recojo sobre todo m�s
            bien que ejecutado.
            Recepci�n al grupo de la escala de Z!
          • Ed Scullin
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 14, 1999
              Hi all,
              My name is Ed Scullin (really Edward, but that was for when I was
              working) I am retired from working for the US Navy in the field of
              Avionics) I am almost 65 years old/young. I live in a small town
              (Ridgecrest) in the high desert of California. We are at about 2,500
              feet (750 Meters) The temperature gets up to 110 F (43 C) but the
              humidity is only about 10-15 % (It's a dry heat :-})
              I found Z scale on a trip to Germany to visit the Christmas markets in
              1990. Had been in HO when a teenager, and wandered into a toy/hobby
              store in Rothenbug. I looked at the Marklin HO and then the clerk
              showed me a Steam starter set (8805 and two cars). He had been shipped
              a set with the US power supply (60 hertz). He gaave me agood price, and
              I was sold. When I got home I set up an oval that fits on top of the
              TV, and we were off and running. When we bought our nwe house, I had
              them make a part of the garage into "train"room. No basements here
              either. It is about 10 by 20 feet (3 x 6 M). On end is layout, and the
              other end work bench, storage and library.
              My intrests are like most of all railroaders, we tend to model what we
              know. My RR is a US country road that is set in the 1930s and early
              1940s Mostly steam, but I have some F7s, The running rolling stock is
              all Micro Trains, about 150 cars). If Marklin made wheel sets that were
              black instead of the shiny metal they use, I would then convert the
              Marklin cars I do have and run them also. Have just finished building
              some of the PennZee heavyweight passenger cars. Will paint them next
              week. The Skull River and Whitt Valley RR is pleased to announce that
              they will now have daily passenger service.
              My motive power is mostly Marklin Mikados (2-8-2) and Pacifics (4-6-2)
              and one Westmodel Hudson (4-6-4). There are 4 8805s that share
              switching duties in the yards. The 2 MT F7s haul heavy freight loads
              and will pull the passenger train soon. The one 8832 (F7 ABA) is used
              for freight srevice.
              I appreaciate all of the help and guidence that I have gotten from the
              Z list and its participents. Thank heaven for the Alta Vista
              translation service @
              http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/cgi-bin/translate. It lets me
              eavesdrop on our European friends.
              Keep on running trains. The real ones don't gather dust while just
              sitting around.
              Ed Scullin
            • Anders Lattermann
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 24, 1999
                > If Marklin made wheel sets that were
                > black instead of the shiny metal they use, I would then convert the
                > Marklin cars I do have and run them also.

                I switched wheels on the Marklin transformator car from plastic (black) to
                metal ones and it didn't look good since there are black dummy wheels in the
                boggie also, so I just painted the sides of the wheels black with a
                permanent marker pen.

                > and one Westmodel Hudson (4-6-4). There are 4 8805s that share
                > switching duties in the yards.

                If you didn't know that already, there is a replacement shell for the 8800
                locos (might fit the 8805) that converts it to an american prototype.

                /Anders Lattermann
              • Ole Rosted
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 24, 1999
                  On Tue, 24 Aug 1999 14:38:47 +0200, you wrote:

                  Anders wrote:

                  >If you didn't know that already, there is a replacement shell for the 8800
                  >locos (might fit the 8805) that converts it to an american prototype.

                  None of these are in my 1998/99 M Complete catalogue.
                  Nor is the 8864 - which I was told is a red steam locomotive of some
                  kind. What does the 8864 look like? Has it any close relatives in the
                  mentioned catalogue?

                  regards Ole Rosted, Denmark
                • Anders Lattermann
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 24, 1999
                    > >If you didn't know that already, there is a replacement shell
                    > for the 8800
                    > >locos (might fit the 8805) that converts it to an american prototype.
                    > None of these are in my 1998/99 M Complete catalogue.

                    The replacement shell was (is - don't know if it's still in manufacturing)
                    not made my M but another company whos name I don't remember.

                    > Nor is the 8864 - which I was told is a red steam locomotive of some
                    > kind. What does the 8864 look like? Has it any close relatives in the
                    > mentioned catalogue?

                    Is out of production since many years. You can find it under diesels on this
                    site: http://titan.glo.be/~pr002441/

                    /Anders