Re: 1:440?

  • Juan Carlos Furnari
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 5, 1999
      Dear Jacob,
      Yes, working. That says the spanish magazine Maquetren
      (year 5, 1997, page 75), but don't explain how.
      I attach a scanned photo.
      Juan Carlos

    • WBolt1809@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 6, 1999
        Hello,

        the 1:400 items by Railex are moved by a string from under the rails.
        Interesting to see, but in general of no value, because you cannot play
        really with it, it's just an eye-catcher - at least IMHO......

        Da luego !
        Wolfgang
      • Jacob Munkhammar
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 11, 1999
          I have re-discovered my source for the HZ-scale (1:440) rumour. It has now
          been extended, and you may find it at
          <http://home.att.net/~Berliner-Ultrasonics/z-scale2.html>.
          I take the liberty of quoting some of what Editor S. Berliner, III has to
          say about it:

          -----
          HALF-Z 1:440 TINY TRAINS

          Tom Dillon and his wife Laura, somewhere out in Colorado [...], build Tiny
          Trains at the inconceivable scale of 1:440! The only reference I can find
          is in the pricy catalog of "Steve & Slim", Lilliput Motor Company, P. O.
          Box 447, Yerington, Nevada 89447 (1-800-TIN-TOYS). Their Website
          [<http://www.lilliputmotorcompany.com/>] is not yet useful and their e-mail
          address, "lilliput@...", may not work [...].

          Lilliput shows a "stupendous" layout at 4/" x 24/", a typical "attach�
          case"-type of layout at only 4/" x 7/", and an almost-all-but-invisible
          circle, complete with mountain, tunnel, and waterfall, at a miniscule 4/"
          square!!!

          [...] I do not really know if the Dillons build the trains themselves, or
          only the layouts.
          ---

          Anyone has this catalogue (or live less than a trans-Atlantic call away
          from Nevada)?

          /Jacob (who'd LOVE to see functional 3.25mm gauge chassis)
        • sutfin
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 11, 1999
            Jacob,

            The Tiny Trains that Sam is referring to are not functional, operating
            models on rails. They are fairly realistic looking wooden models pulled
            around a slot in the layout by a 'wire'. They are very neat looking
            layouts, more of a novelty than an actual modeling/operating layout. I
            think one would look good incorporated in an 'N' scale layout as a Live
            Steam layout, etc.

            Not really inexpensive. If you, or anyone has a chance to visit a GATS
            show, they have had a small 4"x4" model on display at their information
            table for the last couple of years.

            Hope this helps!

            Terry Sutfin
          • pleahy@xxxxxxxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 14, 1999
              I saw a simple oval setup (Don't remember the scale, but much smaller than
              Zscale) at a show in Springfield Ma. back in jan. Its' mtion was achieved
              by magnets. One on the bottom of the train and one under the base of the
              whole setup that was moved along the path of the track by a turntable type
              mechanism. It was a cute novelty at most. and way overpriced.

              Pete Leahy