Re: [z_scale] inaccurate sizes

  • Reynard Wellman
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 29, 2002
      Hello Jane,

      Generally it is often we can get out our micrometers
      and find things that are not quite to scale in just about
      any scale of railroading you would get involved with.
      Personally I don't mind some fudge factor, especially
      when the scale is Z, because many of the fine details
      have to be a little bigger in order for them to be assembled
      or even visible to the human eye.

      But when it comes to larger structures, there is no good excuse
      for these items to be smaller than Z scale. If you acquired
      a Marklin starter set, it does not surprise me that you have
      a resin thing that is badly out of scale. Those items have
      been around for years and while they may be cute, they
      are only useful as background structures or perhaps
      components of them can be chopped up and added to a larger,
      more reasonable looking structure.

      None-the-less, Marklin makes beautiful trains and the
      starter sets are a good deal. You will find that if you
      are careful, many years of fun are to be had with their
      products. If you want buildings that are designed to be
      1/220, look at the following manufacturers:

      PennZee Products, Inc.
      Micro-structures, Inc.
      Downtown Deco
      Faller (euro)
      Vollmer (euro)
      Micron Art
      Shire Miniatures (euro)

      I am speaking from self interest but you should know that
      there are many excellent manufacturers who at least try
      to make authentic scale accessories for your trains.

      Best regards and welcome aboard,
      Reynard

    • MOFWCABOOSE@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 29, 2002
        "At the same time, products marked 'N scale' can turn out to be anywhere
        between 1/130 and 1/210 scale. This can be very beneficial to Z scalers."

        Great. Now, which products by which manufacturers are around that 1/210
        scale, and hence viable for us?

        This is of more then passing concern because while the variety of Z scale
        buildings (in particular) is slowly growing, there is never enough variety.
        Also, Z scale building kits tend to be more expensive then N. But what is
        more to the point, "N scale" buildings, especially large ones, that are
        actually close to Z scale would make it possible to put up some really
        massive industrial complexes without deviating noticeably from scale.

      • Reynard Wellman
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 29, 2002
          Hello Mr. Caboose,

          N scale petroleum tanks are great on Z scale layouts.
          Also, Plastruct used to make an N scale refinery that
          with careful sublimations can be made into a good size
          Z scale refinery. Stay away from N scale structures with lots of
          windows and doors as that will be a dead giveaway.

          Good luck and happy hunting,
          Reynard

          On Sunday, December 29, 2002, at 09:31 PM, MOFWCABOOSE@... wrote:

          > "At the same time, products marked 'N scale' can turn out to be
          > anywhere
          > between 1/130 and 1/210 scale. This can be very beneficial to Z
          > scalers."
          >
          > Great. Now, which products by which manufacturers are around that 1/210
          > scale, and hence viable for us?
          >
          > This is of more then passing concern because while the variety of Z
          > scale
          > buildings (in particular) is slowly growing, there is never enough
          > variety.
          > Also, Z scale building kits tend to be more expensive then N. But what
          > is
          > more to the point, "N scale" buildings, especially large ones, that are
          > actually close to Z scale would make it possible to put up some really
          > massive industrial complexes without deviating noticeably from scale.

          > "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE!  Highly addictive in Small
          > DoseZ!

        • de Champeaux Dominique
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 29, 2002
            --- Kansas <kansas@...> a écrit : > Hi There,

            > First post. Santa brought me a Märkin 81562 starter
            > set. My first
            > ever railroad.
            >
            > I have been reading through the archives; I am
            > stunned to learn that
            > any Märklin product (resin cars were mentioned) is
            > not exactly 1:220.
            >
            > What other products (by any manufacturer) are sold
            > as z scale and yet
            > are not 1:220?
            > Do I need experience to develop an eye for correct
            > sizing?
            >
            > Many more dumb questions to come in the days ahead.
            > Thanks to you all for being there.
            > --
            >
            > Jane Kansas
            > Halifax NS

            Hi Jane, and welcome here! As an answering, it is
            generally known that Marklin resin structures are
            closer to 1:300 than to Z's 1:220. I'm myself the
            owner of several of these, and I confirm they look
            like smaller that they would be. But I don't think
            that's a problem as, after kitbashing and painting
            them, I'll use them in the background of my forecoming
            layout, to use that modelrailroaders call "forced
            perspective".
            Cheers
            Dominique

          • de Champeaux Dominique
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 29, 2002
              --- MOFWCABOOSE@... a écrit : > "At the same
              time, products marked 'N scale' can
              > turn out to be anywhere
              > between 1/130 and 1/210 scale. This can be very
              > beneficial to Z scalers."
              >
              > Great. Now, which products by which manufacturers
              > are around that 1/210
              > scale, and hence viable for us?

              For example, the Hasegawa 1:200 airliners and military
              transport aircrafts plastic kits. Very accurate.
              Cheers
              Dominique

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 30, 2002
                Hello all, in my hunting around for close-to-scale Z items the
                neatest items I found were in Japan and consisted of brass etched
                airplane frames and figures that were Prieser Z size bang on. These
                were marked as 1:160. I have the kitty hawk plane here and will try
                and get a pic up as I have a new/old Kodak DC260 that is a challenge
                at macro stuff. I have not figured out stretching fusalage on these
                little planes but will kep you all posted. Steve -I'll look for link
                as well.

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, de Champeaux Dominique

              • rohirrim98236 <rohirrim@whidbey.com>
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 1, 2003
                  > What other products (by any manufacturer) are sold as z scale
                  and yet are not 1:220?

                  May I add another thought to the very helpful information
                  which has already been posted?

                  You can also consider using paper buildings. These offer the
                  advantage of being able to resize (especially smaller) using a
                  color photocopier in your neighborhood.

                  As an example, I purchased a castle model which is labeled
                  as 1:300. (Having been at the castle in Germany, I think that is
                  an accurate assesment.) But it was a) still too large for the area
                  in which I want to locate it, and b) the old architecture has very
                  large windows and doors in comparison to the human being.

                  I photoreduced it to 75% of the printed size and have a project
                  which a) fits the space I have envisioned/planned and b) still
                  looks good with Z scale figures next to it.

                  this can be a viable option if you find N scale (or even HO) card
                  stock buildings of interest to you. You will have to be aware that
                  many color photocopiers create a glossy ink surface. But some
                  weathering or even colored pencil shading can make a world of
                  difference. Card stock building also tend to look 2 dimensional,
                  but this can be overcome by the use of additional detail elements
                  which create texture and surface variation. You also have the
                  advantage of being able to re-photocopy a page if you :"mess up"
                  during cut out or construction!

                  Welcome aboard. and enjoy.

                  ELF
                • dpstripe@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 1, 2003
                    In a message dated 1/1/03 12:45:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    rohirrim@... writes:

                    > You can also consider using paper buildings. These offer the
                    > advantage of being able to resize (especially smaller) using a
                    > color photocopier in your neighborhood.

                    I have done the same thing, but I just scan them in, then resize them by
                    trial and error to the right size. After the size is right, I print them on
                    high resolution matt finish paper and glue them to card stock. I have tried
                    printing them on sticker stock, but haven't had much luck.
                    Dan

                  • Joe Brum
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 1, 2003
                      Hi all. I have an Epson Stylus Color 880 and print directly on card stock.
                      Regards, Joe