inaccurate sizes

  • Kansas
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 29, 2002
      Hi There,

      First post. Santa brought me a Märkin 81562 starter set. My first
      ever railroad.

      I have been reading through the archives; I am stunned to learn that
      any Märklin product (resin cars were mentioned) is not exactly 1:220.

      What other products (by any manufacturer) are sold as z scale and yet
      are not 1:220?
      Do I need experience to develop an eye for correct sizing?

      Many more dumb questions to come in the days ahead.
      Thanks to you all for being there.
      --

      Jane Kansas
      Halifax NS
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 29, 2002
        Jane:

        > First post. Santa brought me a Marklin 81562 starter set. My first
        > ever railroad.

        Congratulations. Your Santa has delivered you something that should result
        in an endless number of hours of fun. Welcome to Z.

        > I have been reading through the archives; I am stunned to learn that
        > any Marklin product (resin cars were mentioned) is not exactly 1:220.>
        > What other products (by any manufacturer) are sold as z scale and yet
        > are not 1:220?
        > Do I need experience to develop an eye for correct sizing?

        I dearly hope that the real *scale* manufacturers who are on this list have
        lengthy answers for you on this matter. There must be reasons for what I'm
        about to type.

        Generally speaking, anything that says "Z Scale" on the package can actually
        turn out to be anywhere between 1/300 and 1/170 in actual scale, and not
        1/220. Having said that, there are some manufacturers who work hard to hold
        the scale right at 1/220 for their products. The folks who make brass
        structures are among that number.

        At the same time, products marked "N Scale" can turn out to be anywhere
        between 1/130 and 1/210 scale. This can be very beneficial to Z scalers.

        For a few dollars, you can purchase a credit card sized scale ruler that you
        might want to carry in your wallet/purse when you visit a model shop to
        identify the true scale of something:

        http://www.thescalecard.com/index.html

        They also make a 6 inch ruler. Both are better than the "calibrations" in my
        eyeball.

        Even better, ask the knowledgeable folks on this list about a product.
        That's why Jeffrey put this list together in the first place: to share
        information.

        Hope this helps.
        Bill K.
        Houston

        988

      • Reynard Wellman
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 29, 2002
          Hello Jane,

          Generally it is often we can get out our micrometers
          and find things that are not quite to scale in just about
          any scale of railroading you would get involved with.
          Personally I don't mind some fudge factor, especially
          when the scale is Z, because many of the fine details
          have to be a little bigger in order for them to be assembled
          or even visible to the human eye.

          But when it comes to larger structures, there is no good excuse
          for these items to be smaller than Z scale. If you acquired
          a Marklin starter set, it does not surprise me that you have
          a resin thing that is badly out of scale. Those items have
          been around for years and while they may be cute, they
          are only useful as background structures or perhaps
          components of them can be chopped up and added to a larger,
          more reasonable looking structure.

          None-the-less, Marklin makes beautiful trains and the
          starter sets are a good deal. You will find that if you
          are careful, many years of fun are to be had with their
          products. If you want buildings that are designed to be
          1/220, look at the following manufacturers:

          PennZee Products, Inc.
          Micro-structures, Inc.
          Downtown Deco
          Faller (euro)
          Vollmer (euro)
          Micron Art
          Shire Miniatures (euro)

          I am speaking from self interest but you should know that
          there are many excellent manufacturers who at least try
          to make authentic scale accessories for your trains.

          Best regards and welcome aboard,
          Reynard

        • MOFWCABOOSE@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 29, 2002
            "At the same time, products marked 'N scale' can turn out to be anywhere
            between 1/130 and 1/210 scale. This can be very beneficial to Z scalers."

            Great. Now, which products by which manufacturers are around that 1/210
            scale, and hence viable for us?

            This is of more then passing concern because while the variety of Z scale
            buildings (in particular) is slowly growing, there is never enough variety.
            Also, Z scale building kits tend to be more expensive then N. But what is
            more to the point, "N scale" buildings, especially large ones, that are
            actually close to Z scale would make it possible to put up some really
            massive industrial complexes without deviating noticeably from scale.

          • Reynard Wellman
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 29, 2002
              Hello Mr. Caboose,

              N scale petroleum tanks are great on Z scale layouts.
              Also, Plastruct used to make an N scale refinery that
              with careful sublimations can be made into a good size
              Z scale refinery. Stay away from N scale structures with lots of
              windows and doors as that will be a dead giveaway.

              Good luck and happy hunting,
              Reynard

              On Sunday, December 29, 2002, at 09:31 PM, MOFWCABOOSE@... wrote:

              > "At the same time, products marked 'N scale' can turn out to be
              > anywhere
              > between 1/130 and 1/210 scale. This can be very beneficial to Z
              > scalers."
              >
              > Great. Now, which products by which manufacturers are around that 1/210
              > scale, and hence viable for us?
              >
              > This is of more then passing concern because while the variety of Z
              > scale
              > buildings (in particular) is slowly growing, there is never enough
              > variety.
              > Also, Z scale building kits tend to be more expensive then N. But what
              > is
              > more to the point, "N scale" buildings, especially large ones, that are
              > actually close to Z scale would make it possible to put up some really
              > massive industrial complexes without deviating noticeably from scale.

              > "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE!  Highly addictive in Small
              > DoseZ!

            • de Champeaux Dominique
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 29, 2002
                --- Kansas <kansas@...> a écrit : > Hi There,

                > First post. Santa brought me a Märkin 81562 starter
                > set. My first
                > ever railroad.
                >
                > I have been reading through the archives; I am
                > stunned to learn that
                > any Märklin product (resin cars were mentioned) is
                > not exactly 1:220.
                >
                > What other products (by any manufacturer) are sold
                > as z scale and yet
                > are not 1:220?
                > Do I need experience to develop an eye for correct
                > sizing?
                >
                > Many more dumb questions to come in the days ahead.
                > Thanks to you all for being there.
                > --
                >
                > Jane Kansas
                > Halifax NS

                Hi Jane, and welcome here! As an answering, it is
                generally known that Marklin resin structures are
                closer to 1:300 than to Z's 1:220. I'm myself the
                owner of several of these, and I confirm they look
                like smaller that they would be. But I don't think
                that's a problem as, after kitbashing and painting
                them, I'll use them in the background of my forecoming
                layout, to use that modelrailroaders call "forced
                perspective".
                Cheers
                Dominique

              • de Champeaux Dominique
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 29, 2002
                  --- MOFWCABOOSE@... a écrit : > "At the same
                  time, products marked 'N scale' can
                  > turn out to be anywhere
                  > between 1/130 and 1/210 scale. This can be very
                  > beneficial to Z scalers."
                  >
                  > Great. Now, which products by which manufacturers
                  > are around that 1/210
                  > scale, and hence viable for us?

                  For example, the Hasegawa 1:200 airliners and military
                  transport aircrafts plastic kits. Very accurate.
                  Cheers
                  Dominique

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 30, 2002
                    Hello all, in my hunting around for close-to-scale Z items the
                    neatest items I found were in Japan and consisted of brass etched
                    airplane frames and figures that were Prieser Z size bang on. These
                    were marked as 1:160. I have the kitty hawk plane here and will try
                    and get a pic up as I have a new/old Kodak DC260 that is a challenge
                    at macro stuff. I have not figured out stretching fusalage on these
                    little planes but will kep you all posted. Steve -I'll look for link
                    as well.

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, de Champeaux Dominique

                  • rohirrim98236 <rohirrim@whidbey.com>
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 1, 2003
                      > What other products (by any manufacturer) are sold as z scale
                      and yet are not 1:220?

                      May I add another thought to the very helpful information
                      which has already been posted?

                      You can also consider using paper buildings. These offer the
                      advantage of being able to resize (especially smaller) using a
                      color photocopier in your neighborhood.

                      As an example, I purchased a castle model which is labeled
                      as 1:300. (Having been at the castle in Germany, I think that is
                      an accurate assesment.) But it was a) still too large for the area
                      in which I want to locate it, and b) the old architecture has very
                      large windows and doors in comparison to the human being.

                      I photoreduced it to 75% of the printed size and have a project
                      which a) fits the space I have envisioned/planned and b) still
                      looks good with Z scale figures next to it.

                      this can be a viable option if you find N scale (or even HO) card
                      stock buildings of interest to you. You will have to be aware that
                      many color photocopiers create a glossy ink surface. But some
                      weathering or even colored pencil shading can make a world of
                      difference. Card stock building also tend to look 2 dimensional,
                      but this can be overcome by the use of additional detail elements
                      which create texture and surface variation. You also have the
                      advantage of being able to re-photocopy a page if you :"mess up"
                      during cut out or construction!

                      Welcome aboard. and enjoy.

                      ELF
                    • dpstripe@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 1, 2003
                        In a message dated 1/1/03 12:45:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        rohirrim@... writes:

                        > You can also consider using paper buildings. These offer the
                        > advantage of being able to resize (especially smaller) using a
                        > color photocopier in your neighborhood.

                        I have done the same thing, but I just scan them in, then resize them by
                        trial and error to the right size. After the size is right, I print them on
                        high resolution matt finish paper and glue them to card stock. I have tried
                        printing them on sticker stock, but haven't had much luck.
                        Dan

                      • Joe Brum
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 1, 2003
                          Hi all. I have an Epson Stylus Color 880 and print directly on card stock.
                          Regards, Joe