5-pole armature: how to replace the 3-pole armature (8800)

  • John Strawn <zscale@s-systems-inc.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2002
      In Germany last March I was told that there is no 5-pole
      *motor* for small switchers/tank engines
      such as 8800, 8804, 8805, 8864, 8865. They told me though
      they you can get the armature. So I bought the armature.

      Now it's Christmas and I finally have time to install
      the 5-pole motors I bought in March. In studying the
      exploded diagrams for the 8800, I note that
      the armature is one component of a part identified as
      "molded chassis (outfitted with armature, ...)". Now that
      I've disassembled my 8800, I see that the armature is indeed
      pressed onto the worm gear that drives the wheels, and
      it's all in that molded chassis. Simple hand pressure does
      not separate the worm gear from the armature axle.

      Any tips on how to remove the 3-pole armature so that
      I can install the 5-pole armature?

      Thank you. And Happy New Year.

      John Strawn, S Systems Inc., 15 Willow Larkspur CA 94939 USA
      tel +1 (415) 927 8856 http://www.s-systems-inc.com
      email jstrawn@...