Z Track Standards & Prototype

  • John Cubbin
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
      Bill,

      Thanks for your insight into this question. I know I've come across the
      "one is better than the other" argument (from an appearance /
      prototypical point of view) several times and it has always surprised me
      a bit as the appearance of real track varies so wildly. Your answer
      helped as it seemed based on you actual practices rather than a
      perceived "correct" prototypical standard.

      Thanks
      John
      http://www.ztrains.com
    • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2002
        yeah =- toughie.

        Marklin = Sectional = Toy (only my opinion)
        Marklin Flex I have never used.

        For a while it was "what I could get my hands on"....

        Now that I know better where to find the stuff I use MT for mainline
        because it has tie spacing similar to the American prototype Halwa
        turnouts. Plus I really like the way it looks. And I keep believing that
        MT will finally make some bloody turnouts to match. It is hard to ballast
        because you can't find ballast small enough. Using Woodland Scenics fine
        works pretty well.

        I use Peco in the yards and sidings. Peco is easier to work with, for
        sure. Plus the pieces are longer requiring fewer solder joints. It also
        holds it's shape. After thinking it about it more....I would say that Peco
        is best for the starter....

        I plan to start experimenting with superelevation - but I really don't see
        how one would be better than another in that situation.

        Long Live Flex.

        "John Cubbin"
        <jcubbin@optonlin To: "z_scale@yahoogroups.com" <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
        e.net> cc:
        Subject: [z_scale] Z Track Standards & Prototype
        12/01/2002 08:37
        AM
        Please respond to
        z_scale

        Lately I've been looking more and more at real railroad track in my area
        (Long Island, NY) and have pretty much come to the conclusion that if
        there was a single standard the builders of these lines worked from, it
        was followed very, very loosely. I'm speaking here about tie width and
        spacing. When ideas like NMRA standards and prototypical track are
        discussed, it seems like a tricky area to define as prototypical
        appearance (at least in my area) depends on which town you happen to be
        in!

        Since there are really three choices users have when it comes to Z scale
        track... Marklin, Peco or Micro Trains, and it seems you could find real
        railroad track that would match up reasonably well to any of the three,
        is any one brand viewed more favorably then the other, and if so, why?

        John
        http://www.ztrains.com