Archimedean Ground Throw First Light

  • John Cubbin
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
      Hi Rey,

      Put me on the list for the Archimedean when you begin to ship. This
      looks like it may get more people into using the newer breed of
      turnouts!

      Thanks for your effort
      John
      http://www.ztrains.com
    • Scott A. Whitmire
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
        At 12/1/02 08:50 PM, you wrote:
        >Gosh Scott,
        >
        >This ground throw was designed to be an easy "top-mount"
        >switch actuator without having to drill big holes through the layout
        >and work stuff up from the bottom. You can pin it in place
        >or use 00 wood screws to mount it. It will be supplied with
        >4 short straight pins per throw. The pin holes should be pre-drilled
        >using a pen-vise. It will all be in the instructions which should
        >be followed precisely.

        That's excellent. I've never liked under-the-table switch machines.
        A real train has to stop and wait for the conductor or brakeman to
        walk up to the switch, unlock it, and throw it. A model should have
        to do the same thing.

        >Besides, I don't know what a Ramapo top is.

        A Ramapo is a four-sided light with two red and two green lenses.
        Each lens is in the center of a bright yellow reflector. The four
        reflectors are joined on the edges to make what looks like a
        four-sided lanter. In the prototype, the yellow reflectors are about
        a foot across and the lenses are car headlamp-size. The red lenses
        oppose each other (so do the green lenses, obviously), and the
        lenses aligned with the through side of the turn out are lit: green
        when the switch is aligned for the through route and red when it
        is set to divert. NJ International has N-scale versions of the Ramapo
        tops that are dead-ringers for the real things.

        Basically, I want to put their tops on your mechanism, which looks
        like a much better design.

        > But you know it might
        >not be as impossible as I first thought when I read your email
        >to put some kind of Red/Green LEDs on the signal stand
        >instead of the target, especially on the upcoming N scale and
        >HO scale versions. And since the main wheel shaft is hollow
        >tubing, very thin gauge wires (32 awg) could make it through.
        >Only trouble is that the wires would have to be loosely
        >hung where they drop through the layout because the friction
        >could add more impediment to rotating the wheel.

        The light wouldn't have to rotate. You put the Ramapo top over
        the end of the tube. The tube has two slots cut in it to align with
        the through route. The top rotates and the light shine through
        whichever pair of lenses is aligned with the slot.

        >I'll look into it. Could be an additional kit and would have to
        >be a big demand before I would even think about marketing
        >such a gizmo.

        I have some of the Ramapo tops. Maybe I'll spring for a couple of
        your kits and see if I can get one to light up. NJ International doesn't
        light theirs, either, but he says he's done it. The Ramapo top in
        kit form would be ideal. It's basically a tin can with four reflectors
        attached. You'd need to offer only the reflectors, as I could use
        brass tubing for the can. I can get jewels for the lenses from
        several sources.

        Given the reflectors, your stands would be easy to light since
        they use tubing for the vertical rod. The NJ International stands
        use solid rod, which makes creating a complete electrical circuit
        more difficult.

        On any given layout, including one designed primarily for
        switching, you'd need only a few lit stands: Those connecting
        to the mainline, or perhaps the switching lead. The rest of the
        turnouts leading to sidings or spurs could (and do, mainly) use
        the target stands you show in your pictures.

        >As for rigging an additional bar to the wheel... the wheel on
        >our Z/Nn3 version has been designed as a .25 module metric
        >gear and will fit with other gear sets of the same module.
        >I anticipate eventually being able to run a small motor up
        >through the layout with a moderate stiction spur gear attached
        >at the end. Stay tuned. This ground throw has a lot of flexibility
        >designed into it and might one day be offered in a motorized
        >version.

        I'm thinking about two styles of handles. One is a rod that is
        locked in a downward-pointing posiiton. To throw the switch,
        you pick up the rod until it is horizontal, then move it through a
        180 degree arc and drop it down again. This could be a rod attached
        directly to your tube. The rod could have a joint in it. The second style
        is one in which the rod is moved through a 180 degree arc in the
        vertical plane. This would require some kind of 90 degree gear drive
        mechanism.

        From the graphic on your page, it looks like you need to turn the
        wheel 180 degrees in order to move the switch. If true, then either
        of these rod connection schemes would be easy to add.

        >Thanks,
        >Reynard

        I hope the rest of the list realizes this, but these stand kits are
        a BIG DEAL in all four of the scales Reynard mentions. There is
        no alternative in Z scale, and only one in N scale, and they are
        hit-and-miss for availability. I don't do HO, but I suspect there
        aren't many choices there, either.

        Scott Whitmire
      • Scott A. Whitmire
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
          I'd like a couple of kits, too, please. In both Z and N when they
          become available.

          At 12/1/02 09:05 PM, you wrote:
          >Hello John,
          >
          >John, you know you are already on the list. I intend to send some
          >samples for your review. It is taking a long time because other
          >projects are stealing from this one. But I can't wait to get the
          >design improved to our mutal satifaction.
          >
          >Reynard
          >
          >John Cubbin wrote:
          >
          > > Hi Rey,
          > >
          > > Put me on the list for the Archimedean when you begin to ship. This
          > > looks like it may get more people into using the newer breed of
          > > turnouts!
          > >
          > > Thanks for your effort
          > > John
          > > http://www.ztrains.com
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          >

          > > "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in Small
          > > DoseZ!

          Scott Whitmire
        • David George
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
            Reynard,
            Put me down for 20 kits. You have my account info.
            They look great.
            David G. Spring,Tx.
            Reynard Wellman <micron@...> wrote:Hello Guys & Gals,

            Here are pictures of our latest offering in track accessories.
            In addition to Z and Nn3, these throws will be offered
            for N scale and for HO scale by Spring of 2003.

            We did our best to make these items small and useful
            for all those who need them.

            Go to: http://www.micronart.com/Arch_gnd_thrw_proto.html
            to take a look at the first light shown on this new design.

            Thanks,
            Rey Wellman
            http://www.micronart.com/

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT