Archimedean Ground Throw First Light

  • Reynard Wellman
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
      Hello Guys & Gals,

      Here are pictures of our latest offering in track accessories.
      In addition to Z and Nn3, these throws will be offered
      for N scale and for HO scale by Spring of 2003.

      We did our best to make these items small and useful
      for all those who need them.

      Go to: http://www.micronart.com/Arch_gnd_thrw_proto.html
      to take a look at the first light shown on this new design.

      Thanks,
      Rey Wellman
      http://www.micronart.com/
    • Scott A. Whitmire
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
        At 12/1/02 10:03 AM, you wrote:
        >Hello Guys & Gals,
        >
        >Here are pictures of our latest offering in track accessories.
        >In addition to Z and Nn3, these throws will be offered
        >for N scale and for HO scale by Spring of 2003.
        >
        >We did our best to make these items small and useful
        >for all those who need them.
        >
        >Go to: http://www.micronart.com/Arch_gnd_thrw_proto.html
        >to take a look at the first light shown on this new design.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >Rey Wellman
        >http://www.micronart.com/

        If those look half as good in real life as they do in the pictures,
        they'll be beautiful. I wonder if there's a way to rig a throw bar
        to wheel, although I suppose it isn't really necessary.

        Lighted Ramapo tops would be nice, or at least lightable
        tops...:-)

        Scott Whitmire
      • Reynard Wellman
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
          Gosh Scott,

          This ground throw was designed to be an easy "top-mount"
          switch actuator without having to drill big holes through the layout
          and work stuff up from the bottom. You can pin it in place
          or use 00 wood screws to mount it. It will be supplied with
          4 short straight pins per throw. The pin holes should be pre-drilled
          using a pen-vise. It will all be in the instructions which should
          be followed precisely.

          Besides, I don't know what a Ramapo top is. But you know it might
          not be as impossible as I first thought when I read your email
          to put some kind of Red/Green LEDs on the signal stand
          instead of the target, especially on the upcoming N scale and
          HO scale versions. And since the main wheel shaft is hollow
          tubing, very thin gauge wires (32 awg) could make it through.
          Only trouble is that the wires would have to be loosely
          hung where they drop through the layout because the friction
          could add more impediment to rotating the wheel.

          I'll look into it. Could be an additional kit and would have to
          be a big demand before I would even think about marketing
          such a gizmo.

          As for rigging an additional bar to the wheel... the wheel on
          our Z/Nn3 version has been designed as a .25 module metric
          gear and will fit with other gear sets of the same module.
          I anticipate eventually being able to run a small motor up
          through the layout with a moderate stiction spur gear attached
          at the end. Stay tuned. This ground throw has a lot of flexibility
          designed into it and might one day be offered in a motorized
          version.

          Thanks,
          Reynard

          "Scott A. Whitmire" wrote:

          > At 12/1/02 10:03 AM, you wrote:
          > >Hello Guys & Gals,
          > >
          > >Here are pictures of our latest offering in track accessories.
          > >In addition to Z and Nn3, these throws will be offered
          > >for N scale and for HO scale by Spring of 2003.
          > >
          > >We did our best to make these items small and useful
          > >for all those who need them.
          > >
          > >Go to: http://www.micronart.com/Arch_gnd_thrw_proto.html
          > >to take a look at the first light shown on this new design.
          > >
          > >Thanks,
          > >Rey Wellman
          > >http://www.micronart.com/
          >
          > If those look half as good in real life as they do in the pictures,
          > they'll be beautiful. I wonder if there's a way to rig a throw bar
          > to wheel, although I suppose it isn't really necessary.
          >
          > Lighted Ramapo tops would be nice, or at least lightable
          > tops...:-)
          >

          > Scott Whitmire
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > DoseZ!

        • John Cubbin
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
            Hi Rey,

            Put me on the list for the Archimedean when you begin to ship. This
            looks like it may get more people into using the newer breed of
            turnouts!

            Thanks for your effort
            John
            http://www.ztrains.com
          • Scott A. Whitmire
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
              At 12/1/02 08:50 PM, you wrote:
              >Gosh Scott,
              >
              >This ground throw was designed to be an easy "top-mount"
              >switch actuator without having to drill big holes through the layout
              >and work stuff up from the bottom. You can pin it in place
              >or use 00 wood screws to mount it. It will be supplied with
              >4 short straight pins per throw. The pin holes should be pre-drilled
              >using a pen-vise. It will all be in the instructions which should
              >be followed precisely.

              That's excellent. I've never liked under-the-table switch machines.
              A real train has to stop and wait for the conductor or brakeman to
              walk up to the switch, unlock it, and throw it. A model should have
              to do the same thing.

              >Besides, I don't know what a Ramapo top is.

              A Ramapo is a four-sided light with two red and two green lenses.
              Each lens is in the center of a bright yellow reflector. The four
              reflectors are joined on the edges to make what looks like a
              four-sided lanter. In the prototype, the yellow reflectors are about
              a foot across and the lenses are car headlamp-size. The red lenses
              oppose each other (so do the green lenses, obviously), and the
              lenses aligned with the through side of the turn out are lit: green
              when the switch is aligned for the through route and red when it
              is set to divert. NJ International has N-scale versions of the Ramapo
              tops that are dead-ringers for the real things.

              Basically, I want to put their tops on your mechanism, which looks
              like a much better design.

              > But you know it might
              >not be as impossible as I first thought when I read your email
              >to put some kind of Red/Green LEDs on the signal stand
              >instead of the target, especially on the upcoming N scale and
              >HO scale versions. And since the main wheel shaft is hollow
              >tubing, very thin gauge wires (32 awg) could make it through.
              >Only trouble is that the wires would have to be loosely
              >hung where they drop through the layout because the friction
              >could add more impediment to rotating the wheel.

              The light wouldn't have to rotate. You put the Ramapo top over
              the end of the tube. The tube has two slots cut in it to align with
              the through route. The top rotates and the light shine through
              whichever pair of lenses is aligned with the slot.

              >I'll look into it. Could be an additional kit and would have to
              >be a big demand before I would even think about marketing
              >such a gizmo.

              I have some of the Ramapo tops. Maybe I'll spring for a couple of
              your kits and see if I can get one to light up. NJ International doesn't
              light theirs, either, but he says he's done it. The Ramapo top in
              kit form would be ideal. It's basically a tin can with four reflectors
              attached. You'd need to offer only the reflectors, as I could use
              brass tubing for the can. I can get jewels for the lenses from
              several sources.

              Given the reflectors, your stands would be easy to light since
              they use tubing for the vertical rod. The NJ International stands
              use solid rod, which makes creating a complete electrical circuit
              more difficult.

              On any given layout, including one designed primarily for
              switching, you'd need only a few lit stands: Those connecting
              to the mainline, or perhaps the switching lead. The rest of the
              turnouts leading to sidings or spurs could (and do, mainly) use
              the target stands you show in your pictures.

              >As for rigging an additional bar to the wheel... the wheel on
              >our Z/Nn3 version has been designed as a .25 module metric
              >gear and will fit with other gear sets of the same module.
              >I anticipate eventually being able to run a small motor up
              >through the layout with a moderate stiction spur gear attached
              >at the end. Stay tuned. This ground throw has a lot of flexibility
              >designed into it and might one day be offered in a motorized
              >version.

              I'm thinking about two styles of handles. One is a rod that is
              locked in a downward-pointing posiiton. To throw the switch,
              you pick up the rod until it is horizontal, then move it through a
              180 degree arc and drop it down again. This could be a rod attached
              directly to your tube. The rod could have a joint in it. The second style
              is one in which the rod is moved through a 180 degree arc in the
              vertical plane. This would require some kind of 90 degree gear drive
              mechanism.

              From the graphic on your page, it looks like you need to turn the
              wheel 180 degrees in order to move the switch. If true, then either
              of these rod connection schemes would be easy to add.

              >Thanks,
              >Reynard

              I hope the rest of the list realizes this, but these stand kits are
              a BIG DEAL in all four of the scales Reynard mentions. There is
              no alternative in Z scale, and only one in N scale, and they are
              hit-and-miss for availability. I don't do HO, but I suspect there
              aren't many choices there, either.

              Scott Whitmire
            • Scott A. Whitmire
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
                I'd like a couple of kits, too, please. In both Z and N when they
                become available.

                At 12/1/02 09:05 PM, you wrote:
                >Hello John,
                >
                >John, you know you are already on the list. I intend to send some
                >samples for your review. It is taking a long time because other
                >projects are stealing from this one. But I can't wait to get the
                >design improved to our mutal satifaction.
                >
                >Reynard
                >
                >John Cubbin wrote:
                >
                > > Hi Rey,
                > >
                > > Put me on the list for the Archimedean when you begin to ship. This
                > > looks like it may get more people into using the newer breed of
                > > turnouts!
                > >
                > > Thanks for your effort
                > > John
                > > http://www.ztrains.com
                > >

                > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                >

                > > "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in Small
                > > DoseZ!

                Scott Whitmire
              • David George
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
                  Reynard,
                  Put me down for 20 kits. You have my account info.
                  They look great.
                  David G. Spring,Tx.
                  Reynard Wellman <micron@...> wrote:Hello Guys & Gals,

                  Here are pictures of our latest offering in track accessories.
                  In addition to Z and Nn3, these throws will be offered
                  for N scale and for HO scale by Spring of 2003.

                  We did our best to make these items small and useful
                  for all those who need them.

                  Go to: http://www.micronart.com/Arch_gnd_thrw_proto.html
                  to take a look at the first light shown on this new design.

                  Thanks,
                  Rey Wellman
                  http://www.micronart.com/

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT