Z Track Standards & Prototype

  • John Cubbin
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
      Lately I've been looking more and more at real railroad track in my area
      (Long Island, NY) and have pretty much come to the conclusion that if
      there was a single standard the builders of these lines worked from, it
      was followed very, very loosely. I'm speaking here about tie width and
      spacing. When ideas like NMRA standards and prototypical track are
      discussed, it seems like a tricky area to define as prototypical
      appearance (at least in my area) depends on which town you happen to be
      in!

      Since there are really three choices users have when it comes to Z scale
      track... Marklin, Peco or Micro Trains, and it seems you could find real
      railroad track that would match up reasonably well to any of the three,
      is any one brand viewed more favorably then the other, and if so, why?

      John
      http://www.ztrains.com
    • zbendtrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
        John:

        > Since there are really three choices users have when it comes to Z scale
        > track... Marklin, Peco or Micro Trains, and it seems you could find real
        > railroad track that would match up reasonably well to any of the three,
        > is any one brand viewed more favorably then the other, and if so, why?

        Wow. What a loaded question. It all comes down to personal priorities,
        perceived visual appearance, difficulty to find and buy, personal skills, and
        even what type of layout one is planning to build.

        But I'll bite on your question. Remember, I'm a module builder, not a small
        layout builder. Here are my reasons for purchasing Peco over the others, in
        order of importance to me.

        1. Cheapest of the choices (per foot/meter)
        2. Matches Marklin turnout ties/sleepers pattern
        3. Long lengths to minimize the number of solder joints and rail
        misalignment points
        4. Truly flexible, doesn't kink when bent or loose gauge
        5. Able to do any radius, escapements on curves, etc.
        6. Easily modified to reduce tie/sleep spacing for track on bridges
        7. Matches tie pattern in "expandable" track sections.
        8. I'm not into hand laid track like Ole <smile>

        Now just watch another response come in with just as valid a list as mine,
        but for a different set of circumstances.

        Bill K.
        Houston

      • John Cubbin
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
          Bill,

          Thanks for your insight into this question. I know I've come across the
          "one is better than the other" argument (from an appearance /
          prototypical point of view) several times and it has always surprised me
          a bit as the appearance of real track varies so wildly. Your answer
          helped as it seemed based on you actual practices rather than a
          perceived "correct" prototypical standard.

          Thanks
          John
          http://www.ztrains.com
        • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2002
            yeah =- toughie.

            Marklin = Sectional = Toy (only my opinion)
            Marklin Flex I have never used.

            For a while it was "what I could get my hands on"....

            Now that I know better where to find the stuff I use MT for mainline
            because it has tie spacing similar to the American prototype Halwa
            turnouts. Plus I really like the way it looks. And I keep believing that
            MT will finally make some bloody turnouts to match. It is hard to ballast
            because you can't find ballast small enough. Using Woodland Scenics fine
            works pretty well.

            I use Peco in the yards and sidings. Peco is easier to work with, for
            sure. Plus the pieces are longer requiring fewer solder joints. It also
            holds it's shape. After thinking it about it more....I would say that Peco
            is best for the starter....

            I plan to start experimenting with superelevation - but I really don't see
            how one would be better than another in that situation.

            Long Live Flex.

            "John Cubbin"
            <jcubbin@optonlin To: "z_scale@yahoogroups.com" <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
            e.net> cc: