Re: [z_scale] 50 car coal drag on Cover Page

  • zbendtrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2002
      Dominique

      > Amazing! This pictures says long about the drawbar
      > pull of those brave little F's. But I think this
      > picture should have been yet more attractive with a
      > set of matching A and B units.

      Good point. But here is the background for the photo.

      Even the small group of us here in Houston who aspire to pursue "scale"
      operations in Z scale occasionally have a bit of fun with the public. Many
      of the questions from observers are "can these little toy locomotives pull
      anything" and "do they have an electric motor inside." Toy locomotives?
      Aaaaarrrrrggghhhh. And I have always wanted to answer "no, they use hydrogen
      cell technology as a power source." <smile>

      So we have a bit of fun by occasionally loading up a single F7 as a
      demonstration of brute force. That's easy to photograph. Why 50 coal cars?
      That's all the Penzee coal cars that Chad Bryan owns. It would have
      performed just was well with another 20 coal cars.

      By the way, Chad's UP loco is 16 years old and probably has 2,000+ running
      hours on it at shows. That's also part of the "demonstration" but can't be
      photographed. It is the only MT loco that I know about that has had its
      motor brushes replaced (at the 1,800 hour point). Hint: Chad keeps his
      motive power very well maintained.

      Frequently, I put 80 forty foot cars behind an AA pair of F7s. Every time
      someone asks about the pulling power, I just puck the lead F7 off the track
      while it is still running. The remaining backwards running F7 doesn't even
      slow down. That's harder to visually capture without a short movie clip.

      When in the "scale" mode, yes, an AA or ABA (or larger) combination is
      appropriate.

      Regards,
      Bill K.
      Houston