Re: [z_scale] 50 car coal drag on Cover Page

  • de Champeaux Dominique
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2002
      --- jmac_han <jmac_han@...> a écrit : > Hi
      Gang,

      > This week's Cover photo is an amazing shot of a
      > single
      > Micro-Trains F7 pulling 50 Pennzee coal hoppers
      > around a loop
      > of the Northwest Crossing Z-Bend Track modules.
      >
      > Thanks to Bill Kronenberger for the photo. More
      > photos are
      > available in the 'Photos' section in the 'Z-Bend'
      > folder.
      >
      > Enjoy your trainZ,
      > Jeffrey MacHan

      Amazing! This pictures says long about the drawbar
      pull of those brave little F's. But I think this
      picture should have been yet more attractive with a
      set of matching A and B units.
      Cheers
      Dominique

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2002
        Dominique

        > Amazing! This pictures says long about the drawbar
        > pull of those brave little F's. But I think this
        > picture should have been yet more attractive with a
        > set of matching A and B units.

        Good point. But here is the background for the photo.

        Even the small group of us here in Houston who aspire to pursue "scale"
        operations in Z scale occasionally have a bit of fun with the public. Many
        of the questions from observers are "can these little toy locomotives pull
        anything" and "do they have an electric motor inside." Toy locomotives?
        Aaaaarrrrrggghhhh. And I have always wanted to answer "no, they use hydrogen
        cell technology as a power source." <smile>

        So we have a bit of fun by occasionally loading up a single F7 as a
        demonstration of brute force. That's easy to photograph. Why 50 coal cars?
        That's all the Penzee coal cars that Chad Bryan owns. It would have
        performed just was well with another 20 coal cars.

        By the way, Chad's UP loco is 16 years old and probably has 2,000+ running
        hours on it at shows. That's also part of the "demonstration" but can't be
        photographed. It is the only MT loco that I know about that has had its
        motor brushes replaced (at the 1,800 hour point). Hint: Chad keeps his
        motive power very well maintained.

        Frequently, I put 80 forty foot cars behind an AA pair of F7s. Every time
        someone asks about the pulling power, I just puck the lead F7 off the track
        while it is still running. The remaining backwards running F7 doesn't even
        slow down. That's harder to visually capture without a short movie clip.

        When in the "scale" mode, yes, an AA or ABA (or larger) combination is
        appropriate.

        Regards,
        Bill K.
        Houston